Actual startup requirements

Right, can anyone give me an actual list including costs of o licence requirements for a startup haulage company running 1 unit and 1 trailer, I know it varies, and I know all the answers of ‘you must be mad’ ‘it costs a fortune’ etc etc, but I have secured some good stable contracts with year round work, including a 5 year contract with one company, with reasonable rates that are due to start in march next year, and I don’t want to hand over these contracts to someone else. I have in the passed subbed out similar work to other small hauliers but now want to give it a go myself, however I can’t seem to find a definitive list with costings on what is actually required.

£8100 to satisfy o licence requirements but your actual capital needed is hard to say how much do you want to spend on a truck and trailer etc payment terms amount of fuel you will use etc.

To be honest, I would just ring these people

Applications for Goods & PSV Licensing & Bus Registrations:

VOSA Licensing Application Services
Hillcrest House
386 Harehills Lane
Leeds
LS9 6NF
Telephone: 0300 123 9000
Fax: 0113 249 8142

I have found them to be extremely helpful and have never had a telephone enquiry
fobbed off or ignored.

Regards,
Nick.

Thanks mate I will give them a call, very hard work finding anything on Internet

And do it in plenty of time before you require your o licence as it takes FOREVER!!!

£8100 in cash just sat in your back or available to you
£150+ for your CPC Exam fees ( or hire some one to be TM)
£250 for Application for your O licence
£391 For your O licence for 5 years
then upto £250 for your advert in local paper (price depends on paper)

• Truck
  • Trailer
    and lots of cash for diesel amount depends on your payment terms

you could start by phoning the RHA find out where your area monthly meeting is and have a chat with your area manager before hand on the phone. if he is like mike moore he will only be too pleased to help in any way he can. if you go to the meeting you would meet local hauliers and can see who does what. you do not have to be a member beforehand. they also publish a costings book every year. Good luck and i wish you well in your adventure.