Actros wiper washer

Question washer motor running no leaks that i can see but no water out of wiper jets any ideas,dont say take it to merc when it’s probably an easy fix TIA

Is it frozen?
Is the tank empty?

Hold your finger on the button for a time the fault occurs on 50% of the ones I’ve driven the water comes out eventually they always seem to work better on the nearside wiper for some reason, one of the many faults associated with the Actros.

mike68:
Hold your finger on the button for a time the fault occurs on 50% of the ones I’ve driven the water comes out eventually

My Actros does this, they don’t seem to have a very good non-return valve. If holding the button in for an extended period doesn’t bear fruit then I’d check for fluid under the truck as it may have frozen up and pushed a pipe off.

The first attempt at a wash wipe usually always produces less output than the next attempt will.
This is all year round, but in winter you can hear the pump work but the washers freeze , occasionally defrosting during shift usually after stopping somewhere for a while.

Common fault on them. Apart from the obvious frozen or empty I’d guess one of the non return valves at fault. Often clogged up, quick blow out usually sorts them but sometimes do need new. Easy to access from the front and a quick fix :slight_smile:

Tip for anyone if you pour a little bit of antifreeze into your washer bottle it stops the water from freezing over

most of the replies seem to come from steering wheel attendents not drivers the 1 about blocked rtn valves seems to be about right can you elaborate more pls the rest that ask is bottle full go away pls thanks to the rest with sensible answers

Are you sure it is not frozen. Especially this time of year? The nozzles on the arms are tiny and even with proper washer fluid they freeze up due to wind chill. The pump will still work and you can hear it work but the pipes are blocked with ice.

Normally I unclip them. Give the rubber hoses a bend to make sure they are free then test out the washers without the fans and then if they work blow through the fans till they are unblocked with ice. Be careful with your lips though as washer fluid has a horrible taste.

Have you tried unplugging the rubber hoses from the cab and tried to see if it is pumping out? Normally you drive to your tip with frozen washer then when you stop and leave it for 30 minutes and come back miraculously your washer will now work because the ice has all melted due to engine heat. I am surprised in this day and age that trucks do not have heated jets and pipes.

The Actros is really poor in this regard as the washer bottle is in the front grill and gets bombarded with freezing air while driving. A problem that doesn’t happen with a DAF or Scania.

edd1974:
Tip for anyone if you pour a little bit of antifreeze into your washer bottle it stops the water from freezing over

and does wonders for the wiper blades and paintwork :unamused:

vonmax:
most of the replies seem to come from steering wheel attendents not drivers the 1 about blocked rtn valves seems to be about right can you elaborate more pls the rest that ask is bottle full go away pls thanks to the rest with sensible answers

Hahahaha!!!
If you’d covered the basics in your opening post it would have saved a lot of time.
(Expecting “water” to come out in this weather [emoji849][emoji1787])

vonmax:

Open the grill, you’ll see the washer pipes running down from the scuttle plate over the wiper linkage and down the nearside to the washer bottle. You’ll see the valves, some have t piece one aswell ad inline ones. Pull the pipes off either end and blow them out, blast of air down the pipes too. 5 minutes :slight_smile:

Thanks took pipes off at wipers and joint down side of front rhs blew out with air all ok now