Actros VS Volvo FM?

I currently drive a very tidy 1999 Actros, she’s only a 430 but she’s rated for 62 tonne, so good brakes, pulls alright, drives lovely downside is that its a daycab, just about enough room for a map behind the seat.

Actros is in the workshop at the moment being touched up so I’ve had an FM Volvo, not sure what year, I think about the same, if not 2000 / 2001, 420, drives very smooth, has plenty of kick in it, and good to have a good engine brake too, nice to have the bit of space there with the bunk, no mattress in this one, must have got lost along the way somewhere

I do mostly local work (within 100kms) and once or twice a week ill do a 300 kms trip

Am now thinking of asking for the Volvo full time instead of Actros.

I’m not asking you all to tell me what I should do, but just wondering for the sake of it what you all would prefer generally?

depends on the type of work. for shop work i would have the volvo. anything else and i would have the actros

mostly delivering sugar to factories, and a lot of DC work, at least 1 or 2 DCs a day

:confused: Well as I don’t like U Boats it would have to be the Volvo Tonka toy as they are the only two choices.

DAFMAD:
:? Well as I don’t like U Boats it would have to be the Volvo Tonka toy as they are the only two choices.

merc’s rule - daf’s drule :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

id take the actros over the volvo anyday

merc0447:

DAFMAD:
:? Well as I don’t like U Boats it would have to be the Volvo Tonka toy as they are the only two choices.

merc’s rule - daf’s drule :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You spelt that wrong its drool. :laughing:

DAFMAD:

merc0447:

DAFMAD:

You spelt that wrong its drool. :laughing:

:blush: :laughing:

Seeing as My Reno Premium 450 is a Reno cab on an FM I’d say volvo

My personal experience of Mercedes trucks is that they are all rubbish, ■■■ and I hate them.

So, for me, I’ll vote for the Volvo ('cos I drive one now and in my view they are really really great and I love them alot).

However,…I had a sit in a megaspace at Driffield (YORKSHIRE) this year and quite liked the cab…I didn’t get a drive in it, but I bet it’s crap :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I came from an fm to an actros. No comparison, the fm’s ok but as dafmad says they are a tonka toy :smiley: . Dreadfull gears,mudgaurd tops blowin off and a foot of glass wont wind into the door. This really ■■■■■■ me off.
Mercs arent for everyone, you need patience but in the end youre on to a winner.
However theres nothin like a bit o strange :wink: just make sure you’re not stuck with the spare(fm)
ps. just curious whats wrong with the actros?
pps. if the mercs 430 and the volvos 420 which pulls better?

i find the volvos got more grunt due to the fully manual box, but if you were to set the two of them off with the same load (24 tonne on the trailer) from the bottom of the same hill the actros might get up it first, but the older EPS box just doesnt seem to fully harness the power anyway and the engine brake is absolutely useless on it.

im still thinking about it hehe, actros has armrests too which is nice, but the lack of space to even put the seat back when im sitting around at DCs is annoying whereas the volvo seat will go right back due to the bunk.

the actros really is a bit of a cruiser where the volvo feels more like a truck, but still not ridiculously noisy like some of the kenworths and fords ive taken out recently (the aussies love the noisy ones)

the older version of the merc is a bit rough compared to the newer version. this is the one that stole my fondness from the MAN TGA

i would still have the older merc over the older FM though

No competition - Actros every time.

In fact I’d rather have a bad Actros than a good Volvo (if there is such a thing).

Stan

You do need a bed thou beattun :confused:

aye but theres no mattress in the bunk in the fm, BUT the seat can go al the way back! plus i suppose i could get cushions or something for the bunk

why not try for a merc with a bed :smiley:

I get £36600 pa for driving this little beauty !
So what if its only got two steps into the cab . It has 440 horses, the most i pull is about 22 ton all up!
I absolutelely love it , i have raised the bed by 11 " it is a great drive !!

All hail for the Volvo i shift !!!

coffeeholic has even given me his old wheel trims !! ( no charge )!!!

Volvo FM for me Merc will never get near it in a million years. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

jimboy124:
I get £36600 pa for driving this little beauty !
So what if its only got two steps into the cab . It has 440 horses, the most i pull is about 22 ton all up!
I absolutelely love it , i have raised the bed by 11 " it is a great drive !!

All hail for the Volvo i shift !!!

coffeeholic has even given me his old wheel trims !! ( no charge )!!!

sooner you than me

ellies dad:
why not try for a merc with a bed :smiley:

if i had proper choice id be driving a 143 or an R series, but my options are limited!

Have just been talking to one of the planners on facebook and he reckons the volvo is going back to brisbane anyway, so i think ill have to keep the merc! :stuck_out_tongue: