Actros powershift clutch fault warning

anybody had a problem with a actros auto the two pedal one, backed under loaded trailer and gave it a ■■■■■■ and up on dash comes g s clutch failure and unable to get any gear at all in auto or manual mode, so pull it from under loaded trailer with another unit and try it again and its fine, done the long teach in process with button pressed in (merc men will know what I mean) just wondered if anybody experienced this ■■ hope its a one off and not clutch on its way out, its a 2008 done 490,000kms .

Hi, we have a 2008 actros, had same fault a couple of times, seems to be when clutch over heats ie after heavy manouverering, just stop, switch off take keys out to allow reset, fire back up and has been fine since

Yup. Had the same problem, and as Needham says, it always seems to be when the clutch is having to work at slow speeds, and gets hot. I’ve had them play up with a lot less mileage and age.

I have also done the button in reset, but it doesn’t always work.

Ken.

thanks for that,they seem too sensitive for there own good, thanks again

Yep had this a couple of times then it went all together at Felixstowe I would take it as a warning mine went at 480,000 Kms

Another warning is when you press the button, select gear, and you think it’s gone in cleanly, and when you put your foot down BANG, the gear hasn’t selected properly, and it’s like trying to force a manual gear in without using the clutch pedal, and setting off if that makes sense.

Ken.

Either the clutch is going / gone or you didn’t have the air built up high enough , have you had the truck from new as I very much doubt it’s done 490,000 kms on the original clutch . We unfortunately had 4 of these and the best we could get from clutches was 180,000 kms .

My advice is don’t keep using it as you don’t get any warning it just stops working , good luck !!!

Any problems!!!.

Biggest piece of crap ever bolted to an engine.GS 22 should be just painted onto the dash board.Get ready for the thrust bearing race to part company from the pressure plate.

Addendum: and when you do change the clutch allways change the clutch actuator fork.

The computer sets up the clutch once its fitted so that it can log into other operating systems (eg cruise control) If the rollers or fork bushing is even slightly worn,because of the forks leverage ratio it thinks you have fitted a half worn clutch due to the stupid variable resistance sensor fitted to the clutch boost pack.When it reaches the wear limit parameter set in the ecu up comes good old GS 22 again.

The clutch is the least of your worries just wait till it cracks a piston or better still puts a rod out the side ,people think Iveco are crap these things beat them by a country mile !

Stralisnumerouno:
The clutch is the least of your worries just wait till it cracks a piston or better still puts a rod out the side ,people think Iveco are crap these things beat them by a country mile !

IVECO!
Mercedes might have a crap gearbox (ZF with a merc star cast in the casing) but Iveco have a decent box just a shame about all the crap thats bolted to it.Biggest diesel engine manufacturer in the world and yet they still have to fit ■■■■■■■ so that they will start.

Iveco my ■■■!

Aston Martin and Maserati have the same fault if you overheat the clutch!

Dont know why they didnt stick to the old system they used on the manual box where you could use the diagnostic on the dash that told you exactly how much life was left in the clutch.

Don’t. Want to premt any thing but I had a v similar prob last tue and a recovery truck 8 hours in mercs later and a new clutch I was back on the road
The thing that got me miffed was when the Merc man came out he said they normally go between 450 n 500 thou and I was lucky as mine had gone a tad just under 600
Can’t tell u how much your lookin a tho as mines on r n m thank god so only lost an anoon s work wich I can swallow

thanks for the replys,its not the overheating clutch warning ive had that up before when doing a lot of shunting,its def original clutch it had very low kms when we bought it, looks 500,000kms is about right for a new clutch then!!

Actros powershift eats release bearings every 200k. Mb are on there 11th clutch supplier and still the problem continues. I drive mine in manual always start in 2nd and am on a sachs clutch atm.

use to come up with gs 22 eventually i couldnt get any gears …turns out that was the gear stick on the end of the armrest

Stralisnumerouno:
people think Iveco are crap these things beat them by a country mile !

People don’t think Iveco are crap, they know they are :unamused: ,

Stralisnumerouno:
Either the clutch is going / gone or you didn’t have the air built up high enough , have you had the truck from new as I very much doubt it’s done 490,000 kms on the original clutch . We unfortunately had 4 of these and the best we could get from clutches was 180,000 kms .

180k per clutch sounds like driver abuse…BTW I’m in an Actros just coming up to 800k on the original autobox clutch :sunglasses:

just to update,clutch failure never came up again after other week,its not slipping or anything when pulling hard at full weight, it seems fine,just coming up to 500000 now, as for the anti merc bridgade,i know there not everybodys cup of tea,but this ones been dead reliable for us,great on fuel, just a bit of adblue trouble that’s all.

All in the actros is a good machine but it has its problems like any other brand. The clutch issue is all too common from the early eps through to recent mp3 merc need to get there act together.