actros mp3

anybody had oil coming out the gearbox breather on a actros mp3 auto, its not over full, even the merc dealer cant seem to find the problem cheers

I think you would probably be best asking a good mutual friend of ours for his thoughts on this matter Andy, his reply may go something along the lines of “I’d be ripping that auto box out & have a twin splitter in there this afternoon” , apart from that sorry mate no suggestions, last merc I had only had 5 gears and you selected them all with a stick, is it the silver bullet or the company liveried vehicle ?

Can’t you extend it with some pipe ,make it taller,just a thought,never seen one ?

They start to do that after a few years that’s why the breather pipe is there. Nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

Cheers its not done much mileage so sure it shouldent be putting this much oil of breather,and dan wot a great idea u mean like a big plastic pipe up back of cab,its a Mercedes not a old foden

longpod:
Cheers its not done much mileage so sure it shouldent be putting this much oil of breather,and dan wot a great idea u mean like a big plastic pipe up back of cab,its a Mercedes not a old foden

I had this out with a merc dealers here. They reckon its more common in autos. Mine has stopped doing it now. Has the gearoil been changed and overfilled maybe.

jerry built.lol. extend length of breather.dont worry about it,if it runs leave it you will spend a fortune trying to stop it without success.its just wear in the clutch packs causing seepage onto gears causing extra lube and throwing more oil around the gearbox casing. :sunglasses: :unamused:

shirtbox2003:
jerry built.lol. extend length of breather.dont worry about it,if it runs leave it you will spend a fortune trying to stop it without success.its just wear in the clutch packs causing seepage onto gears causing extra lube and throwing more oil around the gearbox casing. :sunglasses: :unamused:

Is this an early warning of clutch release bearing failure?

We look after 3 identical units like this all with 370 to 400k on and only one has this problem. We extended the breather down into the chassis with some screen wash pipe, it keeps the gearbox dry and lets the excess drip onto the road.