actros gearbox

:sunglasses: today i did a thouroughly enjoyable day for the agency, there was 2 of us we was gonna drive brand new mercedes actros but the other guy didnt have a digitacho card so the guy said we would use older actros’s “v” plates! oh well after saying i had not seen or used this gearbox before i was shown and found it great , i think it is a semi automatic or something, it still had a clutch but you just tapped the switch up an down, then i was told the newer ones are different still, are they even easier? what is this system called? i liked it. :wink:

EPS. i had an 04 plate actros today. great wagon to drive but not much cop for blindsides with the narrow mirrors. im used to FMs with a side window behind the passenger door and a window in the back wall. the actros feels so different. one thing i did notice is the difference in getting up to speed. the actros is not an urgent vehicle. it takes its time and it doesnt always like shunting ie reverse, forward, reverse, forward (the shop in billingham is a pain after 9am with cars everywhere. couple that with a 45 foot trailer and its a hell of a shop to deliver to)
generally i like the actros but not for shop work

The gearbox is easy to use and generally selects the right gear most of the time when u tap it fowards or back as its speed and weight sensitive (much better than the auto stralis i drove) but I find it takes a long time to change gear, and if u let off the clutch too quickly it turns into a pinball machine leaving you stuck out of gear in the wrong place.

I’ve had an Actros for the last 18 months im on my second now as mine was up for renewal so I asked for another.
Did’nt want one at first until I had no choice.certainly would’nt want one of the new Scannys or Volvo’s

Gearbox is a bit of a pain in the arse and to contradict one of the previos posts I find it very rarely finds the right gear.I find myself pushing the lever forward twice to get the right gear.
its crap in the wet,the wheels spin too easily and it leans and wallows round bends.
nice drive though apart from that :unamused: :laughing: ,lovely bed,flat floor,loads of storage and I personally think the mirrors are excellent.
Fridge and Microwave are within easy reach too :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

:smiley: cheers lads, i am looking forward to my next agency drive with this firm most of their trucks have this box apparently, suits me !!! :smiley: except it aint no easier gettin on that dock with not a lot of room to shunt haha wish they did a auto one of those hahaha!!!

The gearbox is called ‘Telligent’ in a modern Actros. There are a few versions - Manual (with a clutch pedal) and Auto-Trans (without a clutch pedal).

New Actros and Axor trucks can be ordered with Mercedes-Benz PowerShift. There are 12 and 16 speed versions of this available. It looks similar to Telligent from the driving seat, but it is similar to Volvo’s excellent I-Shift in operation.