Actros double speed indicator

We have 2 trucks, both Actros MS. Both of them are on different jobs but when you hook up to certain trailers the left indicator decideds to flash at twice the speed as if a bulb is out, but the bulbs are fine. It seems to be on older trailers, does anyone else have this problem, or know what the problem is ? Both units are doing it with different trailers and it is always the left indicator. Maybe something to do with the complicated electrical system on the Mercs ?

could it possibly b the suzie socket on the trailer ? a spray of contact spray works wonders maybe pins in the lead are spread get a small screwy an bend them in a bit for better contact ?

Yeah, gonna try that but it happens on a lot of trailers yet if you put another model of truck under the same trailer the indicators work fine !?X!?X!!!

Check the bulbs on the unit, especially the contacts for the repeater/side marker bulbs in the front bumper, both mine have been playing up over the last week or so in the damp and wet, causing an intermettent double speed incator problem.

i had this problem recently, the sidelights on the trailer were earthing out because of a bad contact in the rear left light cluster.
i cleaned the contacts and now works normally.
i think it flashes at double speed because the sensor is very delicate to the slightest change in voltage or earthing, hope this helps

welshboyinspain:
i had this problem recently, the sidelights on the trailer were earthing out because of a bad contact in the rear left light cluster.
i think it flashes at double speed because the sensor is very delicate to the slightest change in voltage or earthing, hope this helps

I won’t lie to you! It doesn’t take much to make the Actros electrics throw a wobbly. Try the unit side marker/indicator - they can fill up with water which causes problems.

gardun:

welshboyinspain:

I won’t lie to you! It doesn’t take much to make the Actros electrics throw a wobbly. Try the unit side marker/indicator - they can fill up with water which causes problems.

crackin’ fella :smiley:

Has one got L.E.D lights and the other normal bulbs? If so there is the problem.
LEDs draw less so the ecu thinks that cause there is less draw on the circuit then then is a bulb out on the circuit thus giving the buld out fault.

There is a mod you can do, you have to put a resistor into the circuit to trick the ecu.

If they are normal type bulbs make sure they are the correct wattage bulbs, and they are single/twin type contacts.

We have two that quite frequently come up on the dash computer with trailer n/s (always n/s) turn signal malfunction even though there is nothing wrong,seems to be certain trailers and no they are not led.
We also have one that has just been back and forwards to M/B because it does have a problem with n/s indicators.have not heard the outcome yet.

Remove the bulbs and check them for silver or grey clouding ,this is a sign they are gonna blow-somehow the electric’s can sense an end of life bulb.
A good thump can also do wonder’s :smiley:
WD40 in the suzie’s every so often does no harm either.

I’ve driven Actros the past 5+ years & I’ve come accross this problem occasionally.

I’ve found that fitting a new bulb on the trailer indicator (even though the original works & looks ok) cures the problem. [Be sure to bin the old one or you’ll get the same problem reoccuring when it accidentally gets refitted].
As Eliies Dad says, the resistance in the filament can start to drop near end of life.

Also: some very old trailers had a repeater indicator 1/2 way down the side, (excellent idea, don’t know why they dropped it).

If it does have these is the bulb & wiring ok?