Actros battery problem

There is a known fault with the sensors, if you disconnect the battery terminals and then reconnect them it’ll 9/10 sort the problem

"According! to MB is a fault in TCC module (truck comfort control)
This module cannot be deactivated and must go onto DAS machine and fault erased if no other fault present

Fault code number is 00013 (I think)

Have checked system line voltage both running (28.4 volt) and stationary (25.2 volt)
Mercedes say its a fault with the radio ■■?

Worrying bit is that a few have set on fire!
One driver rang in from M4 and said low battery charge level warning changed from amber to red,truck shifted into neutral and engine stopped.Not good at 50 on a motorway.

As with “old” Actros when red braking charicteristics changed fault light came up no bloody brakes at all was told by MB this could not happen. But it does.They never sorted that problem either.

Had one yesterday moving up slowly in a queue.
Light came up and the bloody thing was dead. Tried jump start using battery posts on n/s of cab still nothing.
Removed battery lead for 20 minutes,refitted it and TTC module had “forgotten” that it had a flat battery and fired up!!!

What a piece of crap.

And this truck had been for the "upgraded "download at MBenz.

Mine been in twice for this battery shut down issue,
I now have a battery low charge light on that won’t go away!
Now to be fair I ran it very low on derv yesterday , so much so it struggled to start at the pumps(dash pc said it had 100km!!)
So not sure if thats what has caused it

100km. Bloody amateur, you need to get it this low…

image.jpg

At 12miles, I would be waiting on merc or the tow wagon lol
if its cutting out at 100km no way on earth would it last to your level

Not a battery related issue, but is there a way to reset the gearbox? Like the teach in you could do with the old Actros? I’ve got a 64plate just now and sometimes it tries to pull away in 5th or 6th gear from roundabouts or junctions. Truck then realises that it can’t do it, and then seems to take an age on finding the right gear to be in. Not experienced this with other Actros’s before. Was hoping a teach in might help.

Can I join the party. Was away all week in a (near as ■■■■ it) new Actros and the consumer shut off active alarm has been on constantly for 3 days.

I did make the mistake of leaving the fob in the ignition while I was sleeping one night so was wondering if this can cause the initial problem as supposedly this drains the battery.

It can drain the battery yes.

Seems to be common problem as Volvo have also had problems on their new models most people I know who drive a new Volvo have had the batteries replaces within a year of getting the lorry maybe the makers are making them just to complicated instead of sticking to the basics.

i would agree about the new models. I have a new Volvo, 15 months old and on its second set of batteries, as are some of the others on the fleet. Don’t run a lot at night, finish late but even so worry about leaving the night heater on all night just in case it is dead in the morning. Hopefully now with the warmer weather coming won’t be an issue…

Hello,

I have a little issue in this way let’s say. If I am taking out the key from ignition I am losing the power to the all sockets, night heater is working, starts at the first key, no issue what so ever, only this…any updates regarding this issue? The vehicle in question is MB 64 plate
Cheers

My narrowboat has a starter battery and two leisure batteries. No matter how long I run the fridge/ watch TV/ keep the lights on etc I can still start the engine because only the leisure batteries become discharged and the starter battery remains 100% charged. When I start the engine all three batteries are charged by means of a split charge relay. Why truck manufacturers can’t use a similar system is beyond me.

Harry Monk:
Why truck manufacturers can’t use a similar system is beyond me.

I’d say…

Cost and weight.

Just seems crazy that new and very expensive vehicles are suffering with problems like this.

Who remembers getting out on a really cold morning, blasting a ton of ether into the air filter and starting the engine that way? All the night’s out I did with just an ordinary battery system and a night heater and 99% of the time she’d fire up straight away.

Not an Actros but the MAN I drive had new batteries fitted last week. It’s an 18 plate with 400k km on the clock and is the first one of the fleet to have new batteries. Personally I think that is staggeringly good considering that it’s a tramping vehicle so consequently spends as much time with the engine off draining the batteries with night heater/fridge etc as it does running and charging the batteries. Especially when you consider that working for a Co run by beancounters where idling is Satan I can literally start the engine six times before even leaving the yard!

Not bad performance at all I reckon.