Accountants! Who's best to use?

Ive very recently gone over to the self employed side, using an umbrella company for the invoicing. When it come time to sort the tax out what would be the average cost of an accountant and what can I claim against tax as a driver? Also can anybody recommend an accountant, I live in Birmingham.

rab6600:
Ive very recently gone over to the self employed side, using an umbrella company for the invoicing. When it come time to sort the tax out what would be the average cost of an accountant and what can I claim against tax as a driver? Also can anybody recommend an accountant, I live in Birmingham.

If you’re already using an Umbrella company then i’d guess they already have this in place. I would speak to them about it first incase you get conflicting advice here. See what they say then come back ?

Get lots of quotes and then go with the most expensive one. The more you pay an accountant, the less you pay HMRC seems to be the general rule.

Harry Monk:
Get lots of quotes and then go with the most expensive one. The more you pay an accountant, the less you pay HMRC seems to be the general rule.

With the information he’s given, its impossible to give any advice. If he’s under an Umbrella he’ll probably get a PAYE P60 and "may " not have to fill in a self employed return. Whats his other payments recieved, taxable/untaxable payements ?
But yeah, great advice…go for the most expensive one. Certainly don’t find out if you need one first !! :grimacing: