Accountancy packages

Hi all,
In the last year or so, I’ve gone down the Limited company route. As this is new to me, I’d like to get the experiences of others with regards to doing the accounts.
I signed up to Crunch last year. They seemed very helpful and after a few niggles (due to my misunderstanding of their features) I’ve had a year of seemless operating. I suppose the test will be next month when submitting to HMRC.
As said, all is running smoothly bar a minor irritation.
Anyway, I’ve been told that Crunch are on the expensive side, is there a better or similar product that anyone can recommend that’s cheaper?

If you’ve gone Ltd as a driver I’d not be too concerned because you’ll be back on PAYE soon.

The time to find out about how to do the accounts was before you started, not a year later.

Thanks for your reply Conor, I’m aware of IR35 and not a complete numpty. I’m quite capable of doing day to day administration of my business. I don’t believe too many people know all the ins and outs about tax, wages, the government etc. I went with Crunch as they know this. As a developing business though, I need to ensure I’m getting vfm.
What’s the point in having an experience exchange such as this, if, when we go to the well of knowledge, haters hole your bucket. :cry:

Personally…

I don’t think it’s worth it any more for the little they offer above the rate but, you might well have cut a really good deal and be taking it home in wheelbarrow loads.

I avoided all the ‘accounts4U, Wes4veUmunny and F1zzle the 1nternet accountants’ like a dose of the clap. They don’t have your interests at heart and can’t really cater for your individual set up. They most definately won’t be ‘imaginative’ because their algorithms prevent them.
When I started as a Ltd enterprise many years ago, I went through the Yellow pages and phoned a cross section of accountants in my area. They were all happy to set up meetings with me to discuss my particular requirements (drone drone drone yadder yadder yadder) but only one said ‘sure, I’ll come to you when it suits you’. Sure enough, she turned up with a calculator a piece of A4 and a pen. She then proceeded to destroy the opposition on a piece of paper by clearly listing what I could claim, what I couldn’t claim and what could be moved into different columns on a spreadsheet and moved back again. I signed up there and then and never looked back.

That lass saved me thousands, knew how many paper clips I had on my desk and at one time even guessed how much cash I had on my person to within 50p.

A good accountant doesn’t really cost you money, they save you money.

Thanks "larf’
That thing about algorithms makes a whole lot of sense. I wonder if I could claim for a yellow pages… :smiley: