Accident m53 driver jailed

I believe it was an Iceland hgv shocking video.
liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv … y-10535522

God, that’s horrendous :frowning:

Dashcam critics will be having a go here!

Just 9 seconds from start of video to point of impact,goes to show how important it is to be concentrating on what’s in front of you…

Cant beleive there was no reaction until at point of impact. What do some of these drivers see when looking out the windscreen. He had plently of space to steer into lane 3. Pointless waste of life. I Always leave a huge gap if im at the end of a queue and preferably keep rolling so if some halfwit hasnt clocked it i can steer or not be sandwiched between vehicles if it hits.

People have been and will be killed because they (the ones stopped at the back of such queues), through no fault of their own, seem to have to unwisely rush up only to come to a stop, thus leaving a gap for a slower lorry to do this sort of thing, not that they caused the crash to happen, just that they didn’t prevent it by slowing down earlier, thus slowing anything behind them. You can perhaps do something to mitigate this sort of thing, as stated above. Terrible all round though.

Obviously doing something other than concentrating on the road!

jesus…

And people moan when the police target truck drivers in unmarked units…

supermatt:
I Always leave a huge gap if im at the end of a queue and preferably keep rolling so if some halfwit hasnt clocked it i can steer or not be sandwiched between vehicles if it hits.

Never works because any inch of tarmac you leave in front just gets filled in by the usual muppets who think a few feet of road is going to get them home 10 minutes quicker.

I just pull up progressively with hazards on if it needs it.

When I was a lad, I used to go out with my dad in his lorries, and he taught me loads of things about driving.
One of the things he used to say was;
‘remember son, whats going on behind you is just as important as whats going on in front of you’.

Wow rip

Should be shown to t.0 then they might stop ringing asking you for tri no,s, o/t availability, vat no,s etc, it might’ve hands free but you have to take your eyes off road to read the txt,s they send , then it normally them Britain driver not ringing there pallet count in again.

supermatt:
Cant beleive there was no reaction until at point of impact. What do some of these drivers see when looking out the windscreen. He had plently of space to steer into lane 3. Pointless waste of life. I Always leave a huge gap if im at the end of a queue and preferably keep rolling so if some halfwit hasnt clocked it i can steer or not be sandwiched between vehicles if it hits.

I was going to say similar,what the heck was he doing,police never said why,as in was he on a mobile,checking texts,or daydreaming,etc

truckman020:

supermatt:

I was going to say similar,what the heck was he doing,police never said why,as in was he on a mobile,checking texts,or daydreaming,etc

The police may have made the decision not to add any more detail, as this could possibly traumatize the victims further…

The video shows the driver driving directly into the sun.

On that video it looks like the time from seeing the cars, to point of impact is three seconds. Hard to tell if the human eye would have a better range than the dash-cam.

He had the sun in his eyes and may have had another vehicle alongside him. Not condoning anything such as speeding, but had he been looking in his mirrors he didn’t have that much time.

Would also help if the matrix signs were fit for purpose. I must slow down more times for incidents than there are incidents. Over half the time the matrix signs actually cause the queue and there is then nothing there.

I’ve watched the video and as said above In my opinion that looked almost unavoidable. BUT! this is hindsight and easy to say from a computer.

The sun especially at this time of year is treacherous, at certain times of the day. I would say when in doubt stick hazards on and slow down. At least it may give a warning to those behind and prevent another fatal.

I travel the A38 from M1 J28 to Lichfield regularly and encounter many similar instances,

If you look closely at the time of impact the car driver tries to pull out onto the hardshoulder to avoid the rear shunt.Sadly saw it to late and for them few seconds knew his fate.

Take note wilkos.nine second.and stobarts. 84 hours pwk