Accident Incident

What is the difference between accident and incident?

It normally involves an RTA, whereby an incident could be a pedestrian got killed, or a suicider off the bridge etc, but normally an incident is something that is not an accident involving vehicles. well thats my 2 pennorth anyway…the trucknet csi will be along shortly to correct me if i`m wrong.

fingermissing:

Accident starts with an ‘A’ & has 2 x C’s in it, whereas incident starts with ‘In’ & only has 1 x C in it.
But they both end in ‘Dents’

“No accidents or incidents to report” is the oft-reported radio traffic news update, which to me implies an accident is indeed some sort of collision involving a vehicle and some damage, whereas perhaps an incident could be something like a diesel spill, livestock on the road, a landslip etc. - in other words, an accident waiting to happen! I don’t think suicide is an accident.

… which is not what you were stating - sorry, tb.

fingermissing:

The way I see it an incident can be just an incident or and incident involving an accident but an accident is always an incident.

martinviking:

fingermissing:

Accident starts with an ‘A’ & has 2 x C’s in it, whereas incident starts with ‘In’ & only has 1 x C in it.

I like that :laughing:

an accident is car drivers fault and an incident is a cyclist’s fault ! :laughing:

tachograph:

fingermissing:

The way I see it an incident can be just an incident or and incident involving an accident but an accident is always an incident.

Eh? So, “incidents” (i) contain the sub-set “accidents” (a) and (i) can be (i) or (i) + (a)? I’m trying to reduce it to a mathematical/scientific rationale there. If an accident is always an incident and an incident can be just an incident, then… I’m getting myself even more confused.

martinviking:

fingermissing:

They also have 3 vowels in each word .

Thank you for your help.

If I was involved, whatever it was would have been down to the knobhead in the Sprinter/on the bike/driving the KIA etc.

There is no such thing now as a Road Traffic Accident. It is now called a Road Traffic Collision. RTA (accident) involves somebody is to blame.

NOVE:
If I was involved, whatever it was would have been down to the knobhead in the Sprinter/on the bike/driving the KIA etc.

So which one of the above do you pilot?

No accidents anymore, Collisions now as someone is to blame. RTC not RTA An incident could be Debris, a fire, a suicide attempt, anything like that.

I’d describe an “incident” as something the police have been called to.

If someone is then deemed as “hurt”, it might be described as an “accident”.

If there’s vehicle damage, and no one is hurt, the incident only gets to become a “prang”. :unamused:

A “serious accident” is one where one or more members of the public have sustained “life changing injuries” or worse.

A “serious incident” is one where the police have been directly threatened, and more are now turning up with guns. :neutral_face:

I don’t think we’ve ever had a “serious incident/accident” where the police have been called to bring in some idiot on a motorway bridge who’s taking pot shots at passing traffic… :confused:
At least where an arrest was made… I’m not sure if kids throwing breeze blocks off bridges over the A12 qualifies here. :confused:

Suedehead:

NOVE:

So which one of the above do you pilot?

None, obviously. I was just an innocent bystander. Parking brake applied, the lot, M’Lud

No such thing as an “accident”.They don’t just happen, they are caused.
Therefore they are called rtc’s not rta’s.
An incident could be anything not road user related eg roadside fire etc.

disgo:
No such thing as an “accident”.They don’t just happen, they are caused.
Therefore they are called rtc’s not rta’s.
An incident could be anything not road user related eg roadside fire etc.

Why was accident ok for long enough then?

An accident implies, although something has happened, it wasn’t deliberately intended. Ships collide a sea in an accident, the Air Accident Investigation Branch. Accident and Emergency…

■■■■ happens, most of the time people don’t want it too.

It’s an “accident” if it’s your fault (ie “not” your fault!) and an incident if “it could have happened to anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time”.

So what do you call it when you are an intended victim of a third party then?

Do the lawyers still thrash it out as to “Causality” that Bully Beef carved me up, and smashed my face in 'cos I was looking at t’lass like? :confused:

TTX boy:
an accident is car drivers fault and an incident is a cyclist’s fault ! :laughing:

:lol::lol: