Accident in hull

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-11035869

dont know if anyone else got stuck in the traffic. The thoughts go out for the poor womans family and friends. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

The accident happened virtually outside of our yard on the Great Union Street roundabout this morning at about 7.30. It was a metal cabin that fell off an artic flatbed.
Looks as though the driver was relying on gravity to keep it on as I never saw any straps at all :open_mouth: Also there were no twistlocks either. Just a plain flatbed. Understand that the woman died instantly. RIP.
Driver was arrested very quickly and road was closed for about 6 hours.
When I drove passed after work when road had been reopened, there was loads of blood still on the road. Shocking sight.
Why do they not clear it up FFS. Total lack of respect if you ask me.

thisishullandeastriding.co.u … ticle.html

Cannot understand how it wasn’t fastened on

Wheel Nut:
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Road-set-reopen-afternoon-cyclist-killed-spilled-container/article-2552258-detail/article.html

Cannot understand how it wasn’t fastened on

Mate you would not believe the number of containers or large objects on flatbeds that arn’t fastened on. Its always the same old attitude too “its never moved before”.

Interesting to note that when the cabin was removed it was secured by four straps.
Guess that this must be legal and safe as the police would have been supervising the removal.

this has given me a chill down my spine! :open_mouth:

i went past this on my way out of hull, just after it had happened and i had no idea that someone had died. it looked like the straps had sheared because they were still in the road and the cars were driving round them.

my deepest sympathies go out to everyone involved.rip.

My last drop was in Hull yesterday, and i saw the signs saying closed…
Did try to warn a few down the A63 as i was leaving (i managed to divert easy enough :wink: ) with my CB but no-one was really interested, just wanted to sit in it for some reason?! :question:

I bet it won’tbe long before somebody posts another “do I need straps” message and most replies will be "nah, it never gets strapped / it won’t move / you’d need 17straps " and similar ■■■■■■■■.

timmo, are you sure you saw straps in the road?
As I said previously it was virtuallly outside our yard and nobody saw any straps either hanging off the cabin, off the bed of the wagon or in the road. The scene was left as it was for hours as the police, health and safety, and vosa etc did their investigations. Even heard a reporter who was there from BBC Look North say to her colleague that it came off because there were no straps.
Not calling you a liar, just saying what I saw and heard. Guess we’ll find out in time.

keano, i’m sure i saw straps. the cars were driving round the ratchets and the driver was just climbing out of the cab as i reached the island. i watched him pull the first one towards the truck, out of the way, and there was another laying across the road towards the rear of the trailer. it must have only just happened because there were no police or ambulance on the scene and people were still getting out of their cars. i just drove on thinking ‘poor sod, that’s a well boss moment’! it wasn’t until i logged on this morning that i found out about the cyclist :frowning:

timmo:
keano, i’m sure i saw straps. the cars were driving round the ratchets and the driver was just climbing out of the cab as i reached the island. i watched him pull the first one towards the truck, out of the way, and there was another laying across the road towards the rear of the trailer. it must have only just happened because there were no police or ambulance on the scene and people were still getting out of their cars. i just drove on thinking ‘poor sod, that’s a well boss moment’! it wasn’t until i logged on this morning that i found out about the cyclist :frowning:

That could be very important information, especially if some car driver has kicked the straps into the verge or a driver has picked them up, not realising the impact of his actions.

Anyone with information should contact the police on 0845 6060222.

poor woman didnt stand a chance against it but surely it should be chains for a steel cabin or twist locks?
What will happen to the driver if found to be at fault?

Wheel Nut:

timmo:

That could be very important information, especially if some car driver has kicked the straps into the verge or a driver has picked them up, not realising the impact of his actions.

Anyone with information should contact the police on 0845 6060222.

made the call.

steve07:
poor woman didnt stand a chance against it but surely it should be chains for a steel cabin or twist locks?

The cabins are not that heavy, so protected straps should be OK, but if Timmo saw sheared straps, it was not visible in the photo, although someone seems to be interested in the lifting eyes here.

steve07:

The cabins are not that heavy, so protected straps should be OK, but if Timmo saw sheared straps, it was not visible in the photo, although someone seems to be interested in the lifting eyes and jacking legs here.

Sorry Wheelnut, but in the art of black humour, tell the poor lass who was underneath it, it wasn’t heavy !

But seriously, surely the driver must of have at least thought of strapping it and not relied on the idea of " Its never happened before ", if this was the case then it looks like he will get get screwed and if he is at fault…then so be it !

I picked up a shed load of glass the other other day and was told by another driver that the straps were to tight as they may break the glass…at the end of the day,the driver is responsible for his load.So as far as i was concerned, if i tipped up at the place to drop the load and if it was was broken i would rather have that than having an insecure load !

Grundril:
Sorry Wheelnut, but in the art of black humour, tell the poor lass who was underneath it, it wasn’t heavy !

Forgiven in the circumstances I think :wink:

whether there were straps or not, who cares, it fell so it was not secured sufficiently
taking the box had ~3t and the lorry had dry wooden floor then German guide says 5 straps of 2500 daN, each stretched to 500daN.

And if the BAG says 40 straps then it’s 40 straps or your are not going anywhere.

HomoFaber:
whether there were straps or not, who cares, it fell so it was not secured sufficiently
taking the box had ~3t and the lorry had dry wooden floor then German guide says 5 straps of 2500 daN, each stretched to 500daN.

That all very well, but what exactly is a daN measurement. :confused:

muckles:

HomoFaber:

That all very well, but what exactly is a daN measurement. :confused:

Dan; Decanewton or Dn; Decinewton

I dont think BAG would let that trailer go even with that amount of spansets, the toolboxes are ■■■■■■■ with string.

But the case is closed, as stated, the load fell off, the woman is dead and the driver is guilty.