accident at work

Hopefully someone can help me out with the situation I am in at the moment,which is back in august last year I had a bad injury (not work related) which lead to me using up all my sick pay allocation(13wks). This has left me with no cover until august this year,which I fully accept, but the problem arose when on Wed.morning i fell around 7ft off the trailer.Luckily i managed to land on my feet resulting in a fractured heel and badly strained calf muscle(both injuries on opposite legs,great!!). I have been told all my sick pay has been used up so i will have to use holidays if i want any income.As i said if i had an acccident out of work then thats just bad luck but surely I should have some cover whilst at work?

Sorry to hear that mate, you could try to try their better nature and pleade your case? Or hopefully you won’t be off long and you should use your holiday? I’m afraid in this day and age you are pretty lucky to have 13 weeks paid sick in the first place as a lot of firms do not give that much anymore. Your last port of call would be to take it to a solicitor to get back what you lose in being off but this would take a long time and would it mean bad feelings at work?
Just my opinion mind but it’s tough out there now. I would take the holidays pal personally.
All the best.
P.S. a lot of companies will not allow you to take holidays while signed off sick so it sounds as fair as It can be to me.

Depends what your contract says! Some firms will pay for industrial injury but it has to be in black and white, if they dont might be worth checking with a employeement law solictor to see what they can suggest.

Are you in a union ? Was there any faulty equipment like steps or hand rails ? If basically you think it was your fault then you will just have to use some holiday up im afraid unless you can prove somehow the equipment was faulty and then all they will say is you should have defected it anyway.

As above but one other thing: a lot of firms will not allow you to take holiday while signed off sick by a doctor so It sounds to me like they are making allowances for you.

No bald bloke none of the kit was faulty just that the cars & decks were icy and I managed to go through a gap between the safety rails and pillar of trailer. Gonna take it on the chin & think myself lucky i was able to land on me feet!!

yeah dont sound like there is anything you can do really, we dont even get sick pay if thats any consolation.

Have a look at Statutory Sick Pay on line. The bit about ESA. It may be irrelevant but who knows?
I know it’s dangerous quoting out of context but you can’t paste all the Act here.

What happens if SSP is not payable or it comes to an end?
If you cannot get SSP or SSP has ended your employer must fill in form SSP1 and give this to you. On the form, your employer must say why SSP has not been paid or why it is ending and the last date of payment.

Form SSP1 is used to support a claim for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). It is important that your employer give this form to you as soon as possible. Without the information on the form a decision on your entitlement to ESA cannot be made which may delay payment.

There are two versions of the form, one you can print and then complete using a pen, or one you can complete online and then print.

car-man:
Hopefully someone can help me out with the situation I am in at the moment,which is back in august last year I had a bad injury (not work related) which lead to me using up all my sick pay allocation(13wks). This has left me with no cover until august this year,which I fully accept, but the problem arose when on Wed.morning i fell around 7ft off the trailer.Luckily i managed to land on my feet resulting in a fractured heel and badly strained calf muscle(both injuries on opposite legs,great!!). I have been told all my sick pay has been used up so i will have to use holidays if i want any income.As i said if i had an acccident out of work then thats just bad luck but surely I should have some cover whilst at work?

How have you fell off a trailer? It might sound a stupid question, but if there are proper procedures in place it should be impossible to fall off a trailer.

Mike-C:

car-man:

How have you fell off a trailer? It might sound a stupid question, but if there are proper procedures in place it should be impossible to fall off a trailer.

i agree with this, you should,nt be able to fall off in the first place, there should be something there to stop the fall. that said i know nothing about car transporters at all, but in this day and age of elf and safety i would have thought systems would have been put in place ■■?.

dont know how mobile you are at present but could,nt your outfit maybe get you a job in the office ■■?