ABS1

Question before i throw a complete spazz:
Daily vehicle checks reveal an ABS 1Fault, report to transport they told driver take it to other depot as that is a point of repair, “er we are all ready at a point of repair” said driver as there is a VMU here, they said “no fitter on site”, ok said driver get one here then, the argument continued & an email telling the shift manager to send the drivers was produced as cover for the driver.

Surely if the WARNING is on then there is a problem.

Friday nighjt last 4 of us were asked to move 12 trailers from one depot to another 10 mile as they were defective (ABS1) pointy of repair thing again.

WHO IS RIGHT HERE :question: :question: :question:

I agree with you, i wouldnt have taken it out on the road, at the end of the day, if you had an accident, and someone was killed, you could end up in the slammer for it if they knew of the ABS fault.

If ABS is fitted it must work or it should be VOR,d,a letter is no defence re another posting the DRIVER is the fallguy ie responable for the truck and load.

Arh but… I was out last night and i had carried out all my checks, there was no abs1 warning light on, everything fine, so i’m out on the road and approaching a roundabout and it comes on, only amber, but it’s on. As i haven’t been driving with the company for long, i figured i’ll call it in and check it anyway.

Same as what i’ve been told before, it’s trailer incompatibility with the unit and it is merely an electrical fault not mechanical. If however it comes on and it’s red STOP… smiles.

I don’t know how true this incompatibility melarky is, but i guess it might be viable. If anyone can confirm or otherwise then give me a shout ■■

Marie

I didnt realise there were red and amber, ive only had amber.
Yes it can be a compatibilty problem, but it could also be a fault, how are you to know?

i would always err to the side of caution, you dont often get a second cha nce,so why take risks, :sunglasses:

tiggz:
Arh but… I was out last night and i had carried out all my checks, there was no abs1 warning light on, everything fine, so i’m out on the road and approaching a roundabout and it comes on, only amber, but it’s on. As i haven’t been driving with the company for long, i figured i’ll call it in and check it anyway.

Same as what i’ve been told before, it’s trailer incompatibility with the unit and it is merely an electrical fault not mechanical. If however it comes on and it’s red STOP… smiles.

I don’t know how true this incompatibility melarky is, but i guess it might be viable. If anyone can confirm or otherwise then give me a shout ■■

Marie

Sounds like a common DAF problem. Try stopping, switching her off, wait for a minute, usually gone when switch back on.
To try and avoid this happening (DAF’s), only connect Susies with Ignition switch is completely off. :wink:

I think that is the answer but as most of us are coupling up in the dark or at least in a hurry, do we stop the engine turn off the lights and ignition to connect the suzies in the dark?

The fault is normally cleared if you do that though. I have found out we get the problems with MB and MAN. The Iveco Stralis seems ok

An amber abs1 lamp means that it is not compatible with the trailer or a minor fault. A red lamp means stop in any lingo

ABS is not a legal requirement. If it stops working it is still safe to drive but you have to be aware that the brakes will lock if applied harshly. It is usually just recomended that the problem is fixed when the chance arises.
ABS is only a fairly recent ‘extra’. Everyone should learn to drive without it. :exclamation:

Not quite correct Pat, while it is true ABS is not a legal requirement if it is fitted it has to work. Remember that it is now an offence not to have an ABS lead connected if both unit and trailer are fitted with ABS.

Coffeeholic:
Not quite correct Pat, while it is true ABS is not a legal requirement if it is fitted it has to work. Remember that it is now an offence not to have an ABS lead connected if both unit and trailer are fitted with ABS.

I appologise :blush: rules have changed since I lived there. Tesco used to be very strick on ABS leads being fitted but if faulty we hust carried on without them.

Being one of the old school I prefer to not have ABS as I find you can feel how the braking reacts better without it. It is fitted to my truck but I removed the fuse. With ABS I alway felt a lurching sensation as the brakes went on and off so fast. I always need to feel every reaction when driving, I feel the vehicle is an extention of me. :wink:

Pat Hasler:
Being one of the old school I prefer to not have ABS as I find you can feel how the braking reacts better without it. It is fitted to my truck but I removed the fuse. With ABS I alway felt a lurching sensation as the brakes went on and off so fast. I always need to feel every reaction when driving, I feel the vehicle is an extention of me. :wink:

Modern ABS systems on trucks are really good and you don’t really notice if they are working except for the fact that you are not slowing down as quick as you expect, but without ABS you would be locking up or pumping the brake.
Do Trucks in the US have ABS I’ve been working for the USAF and their US spec kit doesn’t have it or fog lights susie. Also the US trucks seem to be years behind in technology, the American drivers jaws drop when they get into the MAN’s.

Us old fogeys were taught to drive without ABS but were shown Cadence braking techniques, It is the same just pumping the pedal quickly before the wheels lock.

As for driving without an abs lead it is an offence if it is fitted but how many drivers used the blue line?

I know if a spanish truck is fitted with ABS then they are allowed a higher speed limit, I think it is the same in France

Equipado con ABS

My truck has ABS fitted but it hasn’t worked for a long time and I prefer it that way. The head mechanic phoned me yesterday to say he had repaired it and I asked him to un-repair it :slight_smile:

if ABS is fitted it MUST work
THERE AINT NO RED WARNING FOR ABS, its amber
If you are stopped by VI & the warning light is on , £1000 fine, 3 points & GV9…!!

Confirmed by Senior Fleet Engineer

If you have an accident & they prove the abs was warning was on & that contributed to the accident your in deep doo doo’s

ABS is fitted for a reason IT SAVES LIVES, you stay in control of your truck when you brake hard & it is supposed to stop jacknifing. If the truck is in the yard & there is a light on dont use it, refuse untill its fixed afterall the warning light is there for a reason isnt it?. If your out phone your tm and tell him what your doing. It would be safe to go strait back to base to get it fixed as your brakes will still work. You will probably be prosecuted if you carry on with a truck with faulty ABS.

UnionJack:
if ABS is fitted it MUST work
THERE AINT NO RED WARNING FOR ABS, its amber

:open_mouth: Wrong - later DAF’s have both amber and red to warn you of the risk or danger present. Obviously red is stop, amber is caution. :wink:

So Do MAN

Red ABS
Amber ABS 1
ABS1 is amber and means minor fault if you look in manual, but safe to use.
I dont think MAN would write that if it twas twaddle

about 18 months ago i did a calais trl change for rh. when i got to the yard i was told i was going in a magnum as there tanks (1200 litres) were bigger than my premiums (500 ish), and they would save money filling more derv in france. it was a 51 plate magnum, already coupled up by the shunter. i had a quick look around it, tyres, oil, fifth wheel clip etc. everything seemed ok so off i went. 4hrs later (2330 fri pm!) i arrive at the shuttle, went thruogh the first booth were you book on and towards passport control- where a policeman with a torch was waiting! comes over to me-shines his torch around the back of the unit and says wheres your abs lead driver? dont know says i (pre-coupled in yard). NO EXCUSE PARK UP. three hours later renault arrive with abs lead, verdict- DELAYED PROHIBITION FOR 24 HOURS. he allowed me to cross to calais and back, run back to notts. but it had to be inspected within 24 hours at an mot testing station (rh have there own dealership). no points on my licence or fine but i was lucky… dont run without… p.s he captured loads more that night while i sat there!!

Dafmad wrote

Wrong - later DAF’s have both amber and red to warn you of the risk or danger present. Obviously red is stop, amber is caution.

sorry was talking bout our fleet Volvo’s