ABS warning. Legal or not?

I got pulled back in 2010 for a spot check in a Daf with the amber abs light on, it had been defected every day for the previous 4 weeks and according to the garage manager as ok to use cos it isnt a red warning light. Imagine his surprise when i rang him up to tell him i’d just been given a delayed PG9 for the amber warning light being on :smiley:

We have some old trailers that put the amber light on below 7mph, it clearly states this on a plate on the headboard, the trailers we have had from new and have always operated this way.
I got a pull by vosa and he had a go about the amber light, I told him how it worked and to read the plate on the trailer, he did reluctantly and said he had never come across this before.Cheekily I of course asked if he should be examining something of which he didn’t know anything about :laughing:
That went down like a lead balloon, but I did offer to drive him up the road above 7mph and watch the amber light go out, he declined and sent me on the way but I think my card is marked :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Considering how many false alarms you get with some vehicles, what is to say that the ABS is actually defective when the light showing.

What is the offence that you are committing, light showing or defective component?

Andydisco:
I got pulled back in 2010 for a spot check in a Daf with the amber abs light on, it had been defected every day for the previous 4 weeks and according to the garage manager as ok to use cos it isnt a red warning light. Imagine his surprise when i rang him up to tell him i’d just been given a delayed PG9 for the amber warning light being on :smiley:

Rubbish !

Andydisco:

i never defect a amber light in writing before a shift coz it proves you took the truck out knowing there could be a brake fault.better to say it just came on.
by all means put a defect note in at the end of the shift,but never record it on your pre-checks

Driving on the agency you obviously have a lot of different vehicles. You also have a lot of different trailer changes within most driving jobs if you work full time for a company. I would say that between 25% and 50% of the trucks / trruck and trailer combo’s I get to drive have an amber fault on them. Just yesterday i had a gorgeous ‘53’ plated DAF with a constant EAB brake warning fault on the dash for the whole day. Other companies I drive for such as ASDA also have faults on the trailers which just depend on which unit and trailer you combine, the same trailer will not show up a fault with another unit and vice versa, it’s a total minefield this for us drivers. The other side of the coin is not just the brake problems, I’ve noticed a lot of truck and trailer combinations messing about with the lights, especially if the unit is over 3 years old and the trailer is a newer trailer with LED lighting. I’ve mentioned in another topic that I got locked out of the bloody cab after the glorious renault premium locked itself behind me (apparantly a common fault known to renault - who dont do f all about it) when I changed trailers and the new trailer I’d collected with LED lighting threw every ■■■■ light on including fogs and indicators which were on and not even flashing. The guy said can you not just bring it back (it was dark at the time) !!!

The DSA will not continue with a test if the amber ABS light comes on

ROG:
The DSA will not continue with a test if the amber ABS light comes on

It seems like an ideal chance to demonstrate that you understand cadence braking

This vosa memo, seems a bit confusing when it only corresponds to the ABS, so what happens with an EBS light. These daf 85s that we got seem to have a mind of their own with regard to orange` warning lamps, some work, some dont even with the same make of vehicle.
If i remember correctly, we were told that it was ok to drive with an orange light on, but to stop for a red one.

So explain please the difference between ABS and EBS…I think one is to do with trailers braking when going too fast around bends/roundabouts.
The other is to do with the actual braking sequence.
We have very up to date equipment, and so none of our trailers have the green warning lights on the front, i believe they are only fitted to the old type trailers.

ABS is basically putting the brakes on and off very rapidly to prevent a skid. EBS is the brakes being controlled electronically. If not working it reverts to air. EBS is just a name for the electronic control system that controls the brakes.

We have some new trailers with some sort of stability control, you got around a tightish corner at about 45-50mph and it will apply the brakes on the one side to prevent a rollover, pretty scary the first time you feel it engage :open_mouth:

Those rollover control things are complete bollox. The amount of times I’ve come to an unexpected stop on a roundabout because of those stupid things is ridiculous.

redboxer850:

If the lamp in coloured yellow/
amber the examiner will need to
obtain evidence from the vehicle
driver that the MIL became
illuminated during this journey

fta.co.uk/_galleries/downloa … bition.pdf

if we have an amber at the start of shift we have to take it to the VMU.

if it happens “en-route”, we have to stop and make an entry in the defect book (time/mileage), do a “check” of the brakes then carry on.

We too
But,if i fill a Defect Sheet 2day my Shift get cancelled 2moro :grimacing: Funny,not :question:
Could be that it just works out by a miracle that Way,but does it since over a Year now

switchlogic:
Those rollover control things are complete bollox. The amount of times I’ve come to an unexpected stop on a roundabout because of those stupid things is ridiculous.

They are more likely gonna cause a problem than prevent one

waddy640:
Considering how many false alarms you get with some vehicles, what is to say that the ABS is actually defective when the light showing.

What is the offence that you are committing, light showing or defective component?

Well, the amber light would disable the ABS anyway, defective or not, as soon as that light is on, the ABS is off.

Depending on the trailer / unit combo, may also disable the anti-jack / stability control on the trailer too.

Wheel Nut:
green- go
amber- be careful
red- stop

I’ve never seen a green ABS light :unamused:

I’ve never seen someone take a pic from the hip whilst flat out either! :open_mouth:

We have the same sort of thing with some of our trailers,old or new.
Some trailers I pick up with my Actros,the orange ABS light stays on,someone else picks up the same trailer with a DAF,it goes off.

It’s not the truck,that’s been fully inspected by the dealer,it just seems that some trailers are not compatible.

What’s a defect book? :wink:

Winseer:

Wheel Nut:
green- go
amber- be careful
red- stop

I’ve never seen a green ABS light :unamused:

I’ve never seen someone take a pic from the hip whilst flat out either! :open_mouth:

Older new trailers had a green marker light in the drivers mirror, to check it was working you touched the brakes, if everything was in order, it flashed momentarily, if it stayed on, you took the bulb out or just took the green cover off. If it didnt flash, someone had already removed the bulb. :stuck_out_tongue:

That was a Girling Skidcheck system that predated ABS as we know it

KW:
We have the same sort of thing with some of our trailers,old or new.
Some trailers I pick up with my Actros,the orange ABS light stays on,someone else picks up the same trailer with a DAF,it goes off.

It’s not the truck,that’s been fully inspected by the dealer,it just seems that some trailers are not compatible.

What’s a defect book? :wink:

We used to have loads of problems with the Renault unit if drivers coupled up with the engine running or even the ignition turned on, if you did it correctly, it would normally clear fault codes. MAN were the same but they were more forgiving

I’ve had a red EAB warning light on my actros for a while not sure if its a dodgy abs lead or even anythink to do with abs. Also when flick through the different warnings a red AH1?