About time I guess

Govement are looking into wether the new Led headlights on cars are to bright and are a concern.
Everyone can tell them they are.
why they need a consultation and look into it who knows they’ve been around a few years now they have decided to do something
[Government to investigate whether headlights are too bright | Autocar]

i think they did something a few years ago when they modified the mot something about the diy kits boy racers were fitting

It’s not just cars though. Every time a new Volvo approaches me at night I’m on the verge of giving him/her a blast of my main beam as I’m sure that they are on their mains l

It is a problem, I find anyway. On poorly lit roads in the wet they are a pita. The intensity of some of them is ridiculous.
Also those cheapo HID upgrades with little or no pattern.
I think stevie wonder must set our headlights in the garage, the Mercs and MANs are way too high forever getting flashed. I drop them down a bit if I get chance.

Those new Volvos look the dogs ■■■■■■■■ though i think. Followed one down the m6 though ■■■■■■■ for a bit and you could see the beam changing with direction changes. Yeh probably better behind one though than in front, they are bright :laughing:

^^^ so the county housing the city of Carlisle is now a swear word :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry just ignore . . . .

Has been since the start of this new regime. You have to write C umbria. :wink:

I hate it when I’m in a high cab, and pull up at pole position at a set of traffic lights, and the Green light in LEDs when it comes on - could bore a hole through a mountain… Really painful on the eyes…

The only “lights” worse than that for “Pierce Damage” are the Flashing Blue lights of stationary police cars…

In Physics terms, Blue light has more energy than Red light, hence why Red light is used in dark rooms, as it doesn’t expose half-developed old-fashioned photographic film…

Ultra Violet light - will burn your retina, including from “arcing” electrical stuff like welding torches, or even sparking live rail shoes on trains…

I try to avert my eyes as much as possible, but if I’m surrounded by several blue light sources, I have to pull right up, as I’m dazzled to the point I cannot see…

Quite apart from headlights are cars no longer equipped with hand brakes?Why do their drivers sit with their foot on the brake whenever stationary?Then there are those who think fog lights are night lights or rain lights

Electric handbrakes take a second or two to disengage. Maybe that’s why.

We have some new DAF rigids at work, they won’t shift from N to D or R without a foot on the brake pedal, regardless if the park brake is on or not. Couldn’t figure out what was going on 1st time I got in one, thought it needed air building up, got it moving after about 8 attempts (by chance), just to get baffed again at the other side of the DC! Took the on site tech to come over ask if I was alright and suggest using the brake pedal to get me going…!

This is purely from memory, but I’m sure alot get caught out with HID conversions either because they don’t change the headlight unit and they aren’t stamped correctly for HID lights. But the common one I seem to remember was replacement headlight units for HID conversions that were stamped correctly but the bit they fail the MOT on (assuming beam pattern etc. is correct) was the headlight cleaning and self-levelling, which I believe are both mandatory for HID lights.

1 Like