About the speed cameras on the m1

So I just came up the m1,overhead gantry 40mph in red circle so obligatory.So you slow down to 40.How long do they expect you to stay at 40?
If you immediatly speed up to national,the poluce could have you for speeding,but what half a mile after.The national sign was about 5 to 6 mikes ahead

there is your answe

one carries on at the posted limit regardless of the type of road… do you speed up in a village because you have passed the 30mph sign or do you wait till it becomes deregulated or a different speed restriction is posted

cooper1203:
there is your answe

one carries on at the posted limit regardless of the type of road… do you speed up in a village because you have passed the 30mph sign or do you wait till it becomes deregulated or a different speed restriction is posted

No i dont but ,I wait for the end of restriction but sometimes on the motorway you dont get an end of restriction sign

See this on the m1 at Rotherham/Sheffield where they have a 60mph gantry for air quality but there’s roads works so on the approach it’s 50 then 60 then back to 50mph. Me personally I won’t speed under a gantry how ever if the speeds aren’t repeated on the next few I will clock it back up.

Just from watching them flash…they only flash you if that gantry has a speed limit on it. If its blank, ignore it and crack on!

They are total bs anyway. Countless times they slow you down for lane closure…flash a few nob head car drivers that ignore the speed limit, then there is no lane closure…money making scam as usual by the gov.

Swordsy:
Just from watching them flash…they only flash you if that gantry has a speed limit on it. If its blank, ignore it and crack on!

They are total bs anyway. Countless times they slow you down for lane closure…flash a few nob head car drivers that ignore the speed limit, then there is no lane closure…money making scam as usual by the gov.

This ^.

Officially cooper is right, above. The speed limit “should” remain in force until the NSL appears, however as most of us know, there are many occasions where TPTB forget to put one up :unamused: . As Swordy says, if you can see the next gantry is blank just click the resume button on CC and wind her back up to 56. Don’t clog up the entire road by sitting at 40 for entire length of the roadwords if the gantries are blank as you’ll royally ■■■■ me off and about 1000 others stuck behind you :imp: .

Even if a gantry with no camera is 40 and then the next gantry has a camera but has no speed limit displayed, you can safely sail past them at NSL even though no NSL symbol has been displayed. If there’s no speed limit on it, it won’t flash within NSL speed. I sail past them all at NSL regardless of whether a speed is showing or not, so long as it’s a gantry with no camera, and they are pretty easy to remember when you’re doing the same stretch of M1 5 nights a week.

As a general guide, just follow whatever the Tuffnells, Hermes, UKmail, FedEx, TNT, UPS lot do as they don’t slow down for no [zb]er and know where all the cameras are. :sunglasses:

You’d have thought with the technology of a ‘smart’ motorway, they would have put average speed cameras on the whole stretch of motorway. These cameras remind me of the old days with gatso, where people drove way over the speed limit then slowed down for the 1 camera on the road!

as i understand it any reduction of NSL must be repeated every 1/4 mile as a reminder ( road works mainly )

Ok,a quarter of a mile,that makes sense

A propos of nothing but I have a speed camera detector in my dashcam which dings 3 times as I approach and twice when I have passed a camera.On the motorway it is like listening to someone playing a piano.
And yes.I know I’m very naughty.

Gidders:
A propos of nothing but I have a speed camera detector in my dashcam which dings 3 times as I approach and twice when I have passed a camera.On the motorway it is like listening to someone playing a piano.
And yes.I know I’m very naughty.

mmm,me ,I just stick to the speed limits religously,but we’re all different