About shunting....

One of my colleagues tells me shunting isn’t subject to tachos,and you can work as many hours as you want.
What’s the legal position on this?
Just done a ten hour shift shunting,not much fun,I have to admit…

Sploom:
One of my colleagues tells me shunting isn’t subject to tachos,and you can work as many hours as you want.

Did you use your tacho card on this 10 hour shift?

WTD/RTD still applies, (60 hr max, 48hr avg over the reference period), but apart from that, yeah, as much work as you want I guess.

No DCPC, no (mandatory) tachos, no traffic jams, no waiting for the FLT driver who’s “just going on a break”, no sitting in congested traffic, no sleeping in a hot tin can on an evening like this, but no “you, your truck and the open road” either, which was always one of the things I liked best about being a full-time driver.

Bless, I remember my first part time job! :smiley:

I have pointy shoes to keep me legal, but in my case at least no tacho, but we do 5 or 6 x 12 hour shifts. Apparently merely writing “shunting 12 hours” in my diary fulfills any legal requirements.

I know lots of companies and their premises , whereby the shunter has to use a public road to move trailers in between warehouses and trailer yards, one firm had an old shunter on analog tachograph fitted but nobody wrote out a paper disc to record hours .
I always wondered if one day there was an accident and no tachograph records, and even worse is someone was killed.
Then the doo doo hits the fan .

The terberg shunters are limited under 40 kph purposely and so long as you do not go on the public roads then you dont need a C+E licence either although for most shunting jobs they will require you to hold a C+E as your job will usually take you on the road.

^^^ not really Tobes, there’s no requirement for tachos for this type of work within a certain radius. A diary entry will suffice in the eyes of the law.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Sploom:

Yes,I used my card because I haven’t been trained to use the shunt vehicles

Thanks for the replies

Sploom:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Sploom:

Oh ok, well no wonder you didnt like shunting today if you used a tractor unit, a lot of hard work that mate.

Yorkshire Tramper:

Sploom:

Yorkshire Tramper:

Sploom:

Oh ok, well no wonder you didnt like shunting today if you used a tractor unit, a lot of hard work that mate.

■■■■■■■ right,I can hardly even move off the couch now!

Sploom:

Did you drive round the one way system the wrong way then attempt to bollock the lorry driver for speeding ?sit there talking to your mate for 1/2 hr while the lorry driver waits for you to pull the loaded tri off the bay , block the entry to the main yard at 6.50 & tell the driver who’s out of hours at 19.00 he needs to put his empty in the other yard , then go running to the t/o when he gets told to either ■■■■■■■ move or the lorry gets abandoned there , did you stick a castellock on the lorry drivers trailer because you deemed he parked in the wrong place , then tell him to go to the t/o in the morning , ■■■■ off ( day shunterb appears with it in morning after planer realises the lorries been there 2 hrs & the driver is not going to fetch the key
I’d not pay you idiots in peanuts !!!

No way.I can relate to all those things you mentio but I’m a nice shunter and I found visiting drivers appreciate being able to meet a shunter who isn’t trying to be an ■■■■■■■.

dozy:

Sploom:

Did you drive round the one way system the wrong way then attempt to bollock the lorry driver for speeding ?sit there talking to your mate for 1/2 hr while the lorry driver waits for you to pull the loaded tri off the bay , block the entry to the main yard at 6.50 & tell the driver who’s out of hours at 19.00 he needs to put his empty in the other yard , then go running to the t/o when he gets told to either [zb] move or the lorry gets abandoned there , did you stick a castellock on the lorry drivers trailer because you deemed he parked in the wrong place , then tell him to go to the t/o in the morning , [zb] off ( day shunterb appears with it in morning after planer realises the lorries been there 2 hrs & the driver is not going to fetch the key
I’d not pay you idiots in peanuts !!!

PMSL! Looks like someone has managed to ■■■■-off the shunters in his yard. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sploom:

[zb] right,I can hardly even move off the couch now!

A proper tractor unit, in this heat? :open_mouth: I bet that seat was a tad damp when you’d finished :smiley: . Hope they didn’t give a Volvo FH, or Actros Megaspace or Scania S series :astonished: . RIP legs and knees.

One of the shunters in great bear desborough is a right clown… thinks he runs the yard then tried to get me barred from site because i told him exactly what he is [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes,we’ve all come across these types of jobsworth just because they are in a shunt unit,the power goes to their head.
I remember at Halfords,the shunter told me to ask the trailer where it would like to be parked. I don’t know some people have be so idiotic.He really hated me for some reason,I don’t know why,maybe because I was agency earning £1 an hour more,big deal

Sploom:
Yes,we’ve all come across these types of jobsworth just because they are in a shunt unit,the power goes to their head.
I remember at Halfords,the shunter told me to ask the trailer where it would like to be parked. I don’t know some people have be so idiotic.He really hated me for some reason,I don’t know why,maybe because I was agency earning £1 an hour more,big deal

Ha ive had similar…. Oh ok then ill dump it anywhere… YAH CANT DROP IT THERE…… oh yes i can byyeeeee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes,that’s what I should have done

I liked shunting but a 12 hour shift is a killer! One of the shunters at Tesco in Reading lost 4 stone in very little time with the amount of walking etc he was doing with locks etc.