About nothing and everything

Some of you may suspect, and with good reason, that I am one of those liberal-left, Guardian-reading, woke, remoaner, commie-pinko snowflakes. And a lycra-wearing cyclist… And probably also a black, disabled lesbian. From Bulgaria.
Some of these are true!
But I was reminded this morning, by another thread, of the moment when I got my first British passport. It was a very long time ago. (1979?) I was eighteen.
I can clearly remember opening the envelope and holding that precious item!
And, opening it and reading, on the inside cover, and written in wonderful, old-style, copper-plate-script something like this:

On behalf of Her Majesty the Queen:
Her Majesty’s Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs requests and DEMANDS that the bearer of this document be permitted, without let or hindrance to …

This is from memory, I promise I have not Googled!, (although, natch, I am going to as soon as I have pressed “send”).
I was so proud of that little piece of cardboard and paper!
@Juddian

Like that?

I can’t remember when i first got mine, but drove a truck abroad (my very short lived experiment in continental work) circa '79 or maybe '80 and that was the sole reason for getting the passport.

What i really miss is the old little black (or was it dark brown?) HGV licence book in which your pinko pass slip was stuck and then the subsequent licences thereafter, giving you a full from day one record and undeniable proof of your licence entitlement.
Then when i came around to renewal one year that fine piece of working history they binned and sent back that bloody green sheet of paper in a cheap plastic folder, and as far as i can make out from what that faux licence says it appears my HGV only ran from 91 when in fact i passed in '76 but for all intents and puposes have no real proof of that, ■■■■ their eyes and their bloody fixing of things that were never broken, they could at least have returned said licence for posterity’s sake.

Doubt i’ll bother with another UK passport which they appear to dish out with cornflakes packets, might be tempted to get an Irish one to which i’m entitled and the Mrs from her home country.

Franglais, the irony of ‘cancelled’ stamped on a British passport is deep, a metaphor for what successive political fools have managed?

Franglais:
Like that? 0

Yes! That’s the one!

My first Driving Licence was a “little red book”…no, not one of them.

Tachograph has a piccie of an old brown HGV licence for his avatar, doesn`t he?

@franglais
Flipped it for you, I hope you don’t mind…

wakou:
@franglais
Flipped it for you, I hope you don’t mind…

I could do with an (unpaid) admin assistant. Ta.

In the 90`s I came in through Portsmouth after being robbed in Barcelona. No passport, driving licence etc.
Loads of things all went wrong at the same time. Most avoidable “if only”…but, there we go.
French Douane and UK WaterGuard were both fine. I had a report from Guardia Civil of course but all was OK.

Few phone calls and trip to Newport Passport Office and all was sorted.

Leaving Pompey we had to fill in form including our, details, reg, T2 number etc.
One very regular driver always put in the Name and Passport Number section: “Larry” no more. Computers might not accept such but, in those times, it worked OK.

Special Branch /immigration officers on the boat itself. Often in the bar for a quick one, or two, or more.

Franglais:
Tachograph has a piccie of an old brown HGV licence for his avatar, doesn`t he?

Yes that’s spot on :smiley:

I can’t find my first HGV licence book but this one was issued in 1984, as far as I can remember it was the same as the original HGV licence book.

We obviously can’t have his or her Majesty or King or Queen because that clearly breaks gender neutrality regulations.
Whatever it says can only be better than in the name of the EUSSR let us in or you will also be assimilated.

I’ve never owned a passport in my life, I’m as international as Lancashire :smiley: Still got my old passport style HGV licence from the early 70’s & red licence, Even got the old fuel ration book from the first middle east fuel crises. :open_mouth:

Franglais:
One very regular driver always put in the Name and Passport Number section: “Larry” no more. .

As long as it kept him happy?

stu675:

Franglais:
One very regular driver always put in the Name and Passport Number section: “Larry” no more. .

As long as it kept him happy?

The world was a smaller place!
The boats were half the size, fewer drivers, fewer office staff, etc. More UK drivers on regular-ish runs. More relaxed regards security and immigration rules.

“Larry” wasn`t unique in being in the port every Sunday eve for years. Others too were on first name, and beer buying, terms with officials both side of the Channel. Not a licence for them to break laws, but a more relaxed way of keeping the rules.

lancpudn:
I’ve never owned a passport in my life, I’m as international as Lancashire :smiley: Still got my old passport style HGV licence from the early 70’s & red licence, Even got the old fuel ration book from the first middle east fuel crises. :open_mouth:

I lost my little red book donkeys years ago, so can you please have a look at the inside page and see if the address for The North West Area Traffic Office was Arkwright House, Parsonage Gardens, Manchester.
That address for some reason has just jumped out at me or was yours issued in Preston. :wink:

Years ago I spent a couple of years in Poland. Occasionally the local constabulary would take an interest in traffic and undertake roadside checks. When asked I produced my documents as requested and always had to stifle a laugh when they nearly always looked at my photo on one and asked, Is this you, your name is Recent Photograph?

mushroomman:

lancpudn:

I lost my little red book donkeys years ago, so can you please have a look at the inside page and see if the address for The North West Area Traffic Office was Arkwright House, Parsonage Gardens, Manchester.
That address for some reason has just jumped out at me or was yours issued in Preston. :wink:

It’s got Stanley st Preston PR1 4AH.