About my medical

had a medical at 45,Im nearly fifty now, but my they have gave me a license till I’m 53,so that means I will have gone eight years without a medical, I had a few issues with heart palpitations and stuff, but these have been resolved niw, what do you think of this?

Go by the date on your licence. See if any medical forms are posted to you in the meantime. We don’t have to volunteer for a medical.

Between 45 and now did you ever send your licence off to DVLA and if yes for what reason :question:

They found out from my medical records that I had abdominal cancer, which involved a major operation, then a few months after, I was diagnosed with bladder cancer, then I had heart palpitations which was caused by low electrolyte levels because I was drinking way too much coffe, so now the cancers have both been cured, and I limit my coffee. With all this, they said I can only have a 12 month license, so when I applied for a renewal, they gave me five years which will carry me up till I’m 53

From what you say I’d suggest DVLA have cocked up in issuing a 5 year licence when the medical branch decision was that a 12 month licence should be issued.

The good news is that your licence is valid until the expiry date shown (although you might want to confirm this for yourself by using their online service).

However, it is possible they might discover the mistake at a later date and revoke your licence with immediate effect. If this happens the first you would know about it would be a letter in the post.

I’d suggest contacting DVLA to get the position clarified.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Roymondo, I had two 12 month licenses, it was only when they had expired and I applied for a renewal that they said, OK, the medical problems have been resolved, you can now have a five year licence, but this carried me over the medical due date. I guess I should ring them and check.
I know what they are like, they were down on me like a ton of bricks when the heard about the heart palpitations, only gave me a week to book an ultrasound before my license would be revoked

Sorry Sploom - I misunderstood and thought they had issued a five year licence in error. If they’ve specifically told you that a five year licence is in order then that’s what you have got. Your situation is no different to those of us who “sneaked” an extra year or two by updating our photographs early.

I’d say you’re good to go for the full five years.

how much coffee do you drink now then? and how much before?

I’m down to about nine cups a day, but if I drink a lot of coffe, I noticed that drinking water afterwards stops me getting heart problems, which is caused by the dehydrating effects of coffee, as I understand it. I’ve had a heart scan, there is nothing wrong with my heart.
Yes, they sent me a five year license after I made a formal complaint about driving under section 88.
It arrived within a week of the complaint. They never told me I have to do a medical, but just sent me a five year licence

i only have 1 cup of coffee per day but at my last medical a nurse said you want to stop drinking coffee for starters ,it was a throwaway remark but its stayed in my mind . it was the day i got 2 very different blood pressure readings in the end i bought my own machine and pressure hasnt been high since that day

Yes, probably best without it, but sometimes they tell us its good for us, and even prevents dementia. I don’t drink or smoke, it’s my only, I like going to Starbucks or Costa, I know it’s expensive and everything. My blood pressure was in the hypertension range but now, after losing one and a half stone, it’s back in high normal, so if I lose another couple of stone, it will be lower, I got myself a mountain bike, great fun on the trails, and good for heath too…