About Bloody Time

facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A … ml&h=3343c

■■■■.

Price of my Polish foods in the supermarket will go up then.

No more good Polish cheese cheaper than the cheapest Cheddarish tesco value products…
:frowning:

Being serious: I do think it’s fair and I can’t understand why they waited so long.

What ever happens,UK trucks wil have to pay just as well as the
non-UK trucks, so unless the UK Govt, drops the road tax a, the ones who will end
up paying is the End Customer as Prices for Food etc willl have to rise to
compensate

It will cost us all money though, they can’t just charge the foreigners so we will pay as well :open_mouth:

jimti:
It will cost us all money though, they can’t just charge the foreigners so we will pay as well :open_mouth:

We already do it’s called road tax. :slight_smile:

youngwithaclass1:

jimti:

We already do it’s called road tax. :slight_smile:

we might end up paying tax and the road user charge imposed on foreign trucks

Paul Clark (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Transport; Gillingham, Labour):
The Eurovignette directive, which governs the whole lorry-charging policy throughout the European Union, is complex, and it would be rather dry to read it out, so I am sure that you would not want me to, Miss Begg. However, it stops member states imposing a charge on foreign hauliers without their imposing the same charge on domestic hauliers

But then that kind of contradicts the whole idea of the scheme, which is create a level playing field for everyone.

youngwithaclass1:
But then that kind of contradicts the whole idea of the scheme, which is create a level playing field for everyone.

The playing field will never be level until we all earn the same, pay the same taxes including fuel tax and have just one government running it all. But none of us want that. There will be plenty of losers for this new road charging scheme, but the only winner will be the tax man.

This is potentially very bad news for the UK haulage industry and will probably be the end for many firms and jobs.

They cannot introduce a road user charge just for foreign trucks, UK hauliers will have to pay it as well. They may or may not remove the current RFL in place of this but unless this charge is so low as to be pointless it will cost more than the current level. If they don’t do away with the RFL UK hauliers will be on an even less level playing field than before.

There is some clever wording used here in an attempt to disguise the truth of this charge.

They will pay a daily, weekly or per-mile fee to put them on a level footing with UK hauliers who are hit with hefty tolls abroad.

So that will put them on a level playing field with UK hauliers who are paying various road user charges abroad but what about those UK hauliers who never venture abroad? No mention of them being on a level playing field and they won’t be.

No UK driver, transport company or organisation that is supposed to support UK hauliers should be welcoming this news until more details of what form the tax will take and how much it will be is known…

Yep, spineless bloody jobsworths! The sooner we get out of this e.u. bs the better (if ever).

How come; we pay road tax (which we don’t impose on foreign hauliers) but can’t charge them anything without charging u.k. hauliers? What’s so wrong about that!? British drivers pay road-tax of sorts on roads in mainland europe (which I suppose is fair as everyone pays it on said roads) why would it not be fair to charge incoming vehicles road tax?

Sorry, I just don’t get it and am seriously considering upping sticks and getting out of this almighty ■■■■ up of a country until someone with some balls takes charge and sorts it out. Another thing I dont get is why we cant say “sorry, we cant afford to send £millions to pakistan - we’re skint” I’ve nothing against helping but where’s the money coming from - OUR BLOODY GREAT OVERDRAFT!

How will it hit UK hauliers if they bring in a daily or weekly road tax for foreign trucks ?

Surely that would not be considered to give an unfair advantage to UK hauliers who already have to pay the road tax.

I can’t see anything wrong with it myself but I’ll wait to be enlightened :confused:

tachograph:
How will it hit UK hauliers if they bring in a daily or weekly road tax for foreign trucks ?

Paul Clark (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for Transport; Gillingham, Labour):
The Eurovignette directive, which governs the whole lorry-charging policy throughout the European Union, is complex, and it would be rather dry to read it out, so I am sure that you would not want me to, Miss Begg. However, it stops member states imposing a charge on foreign hauliers without their imposing the same charge on domestic hauliers

[/quote]

tachograph:

Surely that would not be considered to give an unfair advantage to UK hauliers who already have to pay the road tax.

I can’t see anything wrong with it myself but I’ll wait to be enlightened :confused:

The road tax is not the same as introducing a time or distance based road user charge and plays no part in this. When the Germans introduced the Maut for foreign trucks their transport companies also had to pay it. Dutch, Belgian, Luxembourg Danish and Swedish trucks also have to pay the vignette which foreign trucks pay. In Poland and Austria the domestic hauliers have to pay the same charges imposed on foreign trucks. It is EU law that any charge of this type is applied to all vehicles not just certain countries.

As I said they could do away with the current road tax but based on the average paid by UK hauliers at the moment any daily or mileage based charge is more than likely going to be more expensive and there is no guarantee they will do away with it. Not popular with the green vote for instance so they may just keep it and UK transport firms will end up paying both