About bloody time! If you believe any of it

08 Nov 2021
Government announces major review into HGV driver training

• Review will be launched looking at ways to improve compulsory ongoing training for existing and returning HGV drivers
• Government also identifying sites for short-term improvements to lorry parking and investing £500,000 to move additional 29,000 lorry loads of freight to railways
• Comes as DVLA clears over 40,000 HGV and vocational licence applications in just 4 weeks
A sweeping review will seek to improve compulsory ongoing training for HGV and bus drivers, in the latest of 30 measures to support the road haulage sector and encourage even more people to return to the profession.
Drivers currently need to undergo five days of periodic training every five years to ensure they remain fully qualified to drive heavy goods vehicles and buses professionally and up to date with road safety standards.
This training is an EU initiative and is compulsory within what is known as the Driver Certificates of Professional Competence (DCPC) regime.
While its aim is to keep standards high, some drivers are left to pay for the training themselves and are not paid whilst attending their training course. Feedback from industry suggests this puts off many drivers who have left the profession from returning.
The review will look at how the process can be updated to reduce the burden on drivers – both returning and new – and ensure it doesn’t act as a barrier to working in the sector, as the Government continues to bolster supply chains and tackle the global driver shortage here in the UK.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said:
"We’re listening to industry leaders who have told us about the issues HGV drivers face with CPC arrangements. Now we’ve taken back control of our own laws and regulations, I’m delighted to say we’re launching a review into these training rules.
"We understand it’s vital for drivers to remain fully qualified – but we’re looking to ensure they can do so in the most efficient way possible whilst maintaining road safety standards. No driver should be out of pocket or out of work through no fault of their own.
“This is the latest in a raft of thirty measures we’ve taken to support this vital sector and encourage drivers to return to the job or kickstart a new career in the industry. These measures are working – there is no backlog of HGV licence applications and we’re seeing over a thousand more people than normal apply for a licence each week.”
In a further move to encourage more people back to the sector and attract new recruits, the Government is working with key stakeholders to identify a number of lorry parks across the country where short term facilities such as temporary toilets, showers and catering can be delivered in the coming months.
The Government also emphasised the expectation that councils consider new proposals for these vital facilities constructively and has committed to review guidance that will assist this.
This follows the £32.5 million recently committed in the Chancellor’s budget to provide better facilities right across the country for HGV drivers, which will drive up standards of road side parking and facilities for our hauliers and further safeguard driver wellbeing, comfort and safety.
£500,000 will also be added to the existing ‘Mode Shift Revenue Support Fund’ for 2021/22, in another boost to the country’s supply chains. This £20 million grant scheme provides funding to private sector freight companies to encourage them to move more freight from the country’s roads to either the railways or inland waterways.
The additional funding equates to taking a significant 29,000 lorry loads of goods off the roads up until the end of March 2022 and will help to generate more environmentally friendly modes of transporting freight.
Director of Policy at Logistics UK Elizabeth De Jong said:
"The measures announced today will support our members in their efforts to attract and retain new HGV drivers to the sector. Inadequate driver facilities across the roads network have led to a negative impression of our industry, creating a barrier to entry to our sector and are an issue that Logistics UK has been campaigning on for many years; we are pleased that the government has listened to our concerns and will move forward with a rapid programme of improvements.
“Logistics UK and its members also welcome the review of Driver CPC, to ensure that continuous education for drivers is as effective as possible while upholding all necessary safety requirements. Meanwhile, the extra funding for the Mode Shift Revenue Support scheme will help industry to reach net zero emission targets while reducing road congestion.”
Amongst other measures already taken to support the haulage industry, the testing process has been streamlined, the number of weekly HGV tests available has increased by 90% and training for up to 5,000 new drivers through skills bootcamps has been announced.
The DVLA has processed over 40,000 HGV and vocational licence applications in just 4 weeks, with applications that don’t require complex medicals being turned around in just five working days. DVSA are providing 1,350 more tests than normal a week at sites all over the country.
These measures are working. Not only are vocational licence applications being processed in normal 5 day turnaround times with no backlogs, over the past three weeks we’ve seen around a 90% increase in the number of people requesting application packs for vocational licences each week.
ENDS

I know I’am not the first to ask but where are all the lorries hidden that require all these drivers?

Punchy Dan:
I know I’am not the first to ask but where are all the lorries hidden that require all these drivers?

They are in a top secret airfield in Kent,being used to house dinghy persons,as all the 4 star hotels are,apparently,full :wink:

The public ask that question “Where’s the shortage of truckers? - The roads have never been so full of them as they are now”.

Meanwhile, Laybys everywhere - seem to be in the process of being extended/deepened

Depots are going up alongside just about every trunk road of the country now, in number - A14, M1, M4, A13, A27 etc etc.

Another clue as to ongoing “Levelling Up” of our economy - is the way the Bank of England refused to raise interest rates last Thursday (when expected to) - which would choke off any economic recovery, and put additional inflationary pressures on it to boot (“A 10% pay rise - will now not do. My Mortgage payment has increased by £100 per month - I need an additional £10)0 per month on the oncoming pay deal - to compensate”)

I suspect that the BoE will hold fire until January - and if January is as bad as usual in the jobs market, then interest rates will continue on hold, but if we now have a rip-roaring Christmas season - they’ll be raised in the new year, and not choke off the forthcoming economy until then.

Job adverts are starting to appear that have “CPC Training provided free” - which saves a driver £250-£500 per five years, - but are you or anyone else really going to take that £12ph job to get that freebie?

Rates for directly-employed, permanenent, full time contracts - don’t seem to be rising - do they?
Agencyland - the cutting edge of the Jobs Market - is a different matter, however.
There IS a shortage of Experienced, Ready-Licenced, agency drivers right now.
No shortage of those with less than 2 years experience (of agency driving)
No shortage of those who “wouldn’t be seen dead at an agency”.
No shortage of those who refuse to chuck up a <£15ph full time job to take an >£20ph agency job.

Meanwhile, I’m one of those who got their licence back in the big “40,000 Backlog Hunt” mentioned. :slight_smile:

My vote for the “Best new facilities in the country” (Depots with surrounding infrastructure)
Goes to the A4500 Eastbound, just off J16 of the M1 in Northhants…

“Red Lion” truck stop a year or so ago - was a solitary building in the middle of a big muddy building site, like the so-called “Latest” Google Earth pic below - depicts…

The Story from the gound these days - is a veritable Manhatten Skyline of depots all around this Truck Stop, putting a decent hot meal within walking distance of any driver on a bay at any of these depots - which cannot be a bad thing, providing you can get in edgeways, when it comes to taking YOUR '45 on a bay. :frowning:

Baggie:

Punchy Dan:

They are in a top secret airfield in Kent,being used to house dinghy persons,as all the 4 star hotels are,apparently,full :wink:

Disgraceful !!
Those poor refugees should be paid an hourly rate for sleeping in those ‘tin boxes’.
They’re nothing more than…
‘‘Unpaid security guards’’. :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

They are deep underground at the moment on they’re slow rise to the surface

If it is genuine, nice to see we are being listened to and taken seriously for once.
I like the sound of investment in truck parking, about bloody time, …well overdue.

I’ll believe it when I see it.
What is this £32,5m in the budget?

Franglais:

I believe you are a cynic, my friend…

good_friend:

Franglais:

I believe you are a cynic, my friend…

Moi?

Thousands and thousands of new lorry drivers and thousands of loads coming off lorries to go on trains.

Fasten your seat belts folks, here comes another decade of wage stagnation…

Punchy Dan:

The vehicles are there,being used on decent shift times,the shortage of Drivers comes into it when they cant get Drivers to work the silly oclock and w/ends nights for the same rate as a “normal” week day shift

lolipop:

Punchy Dan:

The vehicles are there,being used on decent shift times,the shortage of Drivers comes into it when they cant get Drivers to work the silly oclock and w/ends nights for the same rate as a “normal” week day shift

Then that’s their own ■■■■ silly fault :laughing: :laughing:

eagerbeaver:
Thousands and thousands of new lorry drivers and thousands of loads coming off lorries to go on trains.

Once again the beaver hits the nail on the head.
Especially when these new drivers have to work silly hours in poor conditions and see the fabulous wages disappear and then leave the industry for a normal job.

I will have to read it again I can not see anywhere were it mentions a cut in driver hours…It still full of red tape …why not make the company train the driver in their field of work…ie tanker work bulk tipper work ,mixers ,containers …be more use

eagerbeaver:

More like thousands and thousands of new warehouse operatives to work in the new rail transhipment RDC’s and then to drive the 7.5 and 18 tonners multi dropping it all locally between train loads arriving for £12 per hour.
Who ‘think’ they are being trained to drive artics doing trunking around the country for 50k pa + for 9 hour shifts 4 on 4 off.

fuse:
I will have to read it again I can not see anywhere were it mentions a cut in driver hours…It still full of red tape …why not make the company train the driver in their field of work…ie tanker work bulk tipper work ,mixers ,containers …be more use

I don’t think the naive new hopefuls are being sold a tipper or mixer driving job.
Let alone the insurance firms then saying they have to have at least two years experience when they’ve ‘qualified’ to get a job.
All moot anyway when the choice is drive a rigid doing rail freight local multi drop and helping to tranship the next load from/to the train at the RDC when you get back.
Including containers because according to Bozo artics are toast in this brave new world.
How long can 40 drops + collections take when you’re expected back to the rail depot to help put another load on ready for the next day’s deliveries before you can go home.
Expect the 9 hours to become the standard daily rest period.
I’m sure that the government will be able to convince the insurance firms to drop the ‘experience’ word in that case.
Bonus points for ‘volunteering’ for the night shift because rail freight likes to run at night.
The EE’s obviously knew something that many naive Brits didn’t.

Winseer:
Rates for directly-employed, permanenent, full time contracts - don’t seem to be rising - do they?

What? My lad has had four wage rises since February and is expecting there’ll be another one around Xmas.

A company around me that use to pay so low I once laughed down the phone at one of them is now paying £45k.

So, the UK decided to leave the EU in 2016, right? A fair amount of time to plan phasing out the CPC. But no, the conservatives will wait until there is a driver shortage before planning the phasing out of the CPC which is so unfair on the poor old drivers.

Kind of smacks of: if there isn’t a driver shortage then no action required because I’m alright jack.

No wonder industrial action is necessary. The only way of getting people to sit up and listen is when there are empty shelves or rubbish not being uplifted from outside of their front doors.

eagerbeaver:

Interestingly, the expectation that Housing would collapse “at any time” - kept a lot of young speculators out of the market, leaving rising home prices to those that actually intended to live there, meaning - guess what? NO collapse in 30 years…

If you expect a market move to happen, then your behaviour is likely to change that will re-work the market in the opposite direction than expected.

The same applies to driver wages right now.

The people who expect the imminent stagnation - will be those who “wouldn’t be seen dead at an agency” - meaning the premium rates get left, under-supplied and therefore UNDERPINNED, whilst dead-end jobs on £10-£12ph will keep their drivers working silly hours over and above “average worker hours” - just to make ends meet.

Why do a 60-84 hour week job for peanuts when you can now write your own ticket for 10 months of the year doing 35-40 hour working weeks for the same money?

If you expect it - it won’t happen.

Therein lies the reason why “Most market speculators - lose money”.
Even taking out a “Fixed rate mortgage” in THIS market - is a punt going wrong ,albeit “slowly”.
You pay over the odds interest rate for the “peace of mind” that if rates rise sharply, you don’t get caught out.

Trouble with that is, that rates are most dangerous when considering years 8-25 of a full term mortgage NOT the 1-5 years the typical fixed rate “Product” covers you for, only to then expire just as rates become unstable (either rise, or more likely you can’t qualify to get any more) so you didn’t really gain anything for all that extra money you needlessly paid in interest…

The financial sector - tends to make things available that they won’t have to pay out on, as ultimately they are LAYERS (Bookmaker Counter-Parties) meaning that if the buyer Gains, then that “Gain” come out of the firm’s pocket…

Firms like Bulb and others in the Energy market - have been forced to cap energy rates, which then left them wide open to a sharp rise IF they hadn’t hedged in the market by “buying forward”.

Who’s happy for the Government to bail them out - because they punted the market, and got it wrong big-time?

You take a risk by acting, you take a different kind of risk by sitting on your arse.
Either way, it is possible to LOSE.

It is never possible to “Win” really, without some risk somewhere of losing, so in the end - we are all gamblers, whether we realize it - or not.

I predict then that:-

Housing will continue to rise (Too many people, too few houses being built)

Agency rates will continue to rise, and cast-iron contract full time rates - will stagnate at everywhere other than firms like Supermarkets who have done well out of the lockdown.

The Tory’s fortunes - will ultimately flounder by causing so much upset in the energy market, started by May, and then signing us up to crap like the Paris Accord that does NO one any good, not even the Tree Hugger brigade, seeing as this Cop-out 26 thing - has the delegates and leaders arriving in carbon footprint devices that make Sasquatch look jealous!
Even Remainers must be shocked at how “Remaining” caused them so little harm in the end, but now “Climate Change Chasing” has put the entire economy in danger in ways that even Covid and the Lockdown - couldn’t manage!

I don’t agree with that False Prophet swedish teen on anything BAR her latest potty-mouthed estimations of the Cop26 conference… :open_mouth: