About Bl00dy Time

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ivers.html
All we need now is a copper to drive on the motorway :open_mouth:

I was under the impression they were traffic offences already. Why the sudden interest in fining people breaking the laws they should have been fining them for in the first place.
On a lighter note I do hope carryfast reads the last one, the one about cyclists being fined for being on the pavement.

£100 fines for tail gating?

Going to be a lot of truck drivers out of pocket then.

I hope the cops continue to use their common sense re cyclists on the footpath as they do in our area because we have loads of virtually empty paths but busy roads so it makes safety sense for cyclists to use the paths

This is classic Daily Fail .It’s amazing how one newspaper can get so much wrong in one article ,or at least be so misleading .

Careless Driving as an offense already exists ,it is not new .The difference is that it will be treated as a Fixed Penalty Notice(FPN) whereas before the offense had to be taken to court to be prosecuted meaning that police rarely bothered unless serious enough

It is defined in law (section 3ZA of the Road Traffic Act 1988)
as driving that
“falls below what is expected
of a competent and careful
driver” and “driving without
reasonable consideration for
other persons only if those persons are inconvenienced by
his driving”. The offences for careless driving include driving
“without due care and attention” and “without reasonable
consideration for other person
s” (section 3 of the Road
Traffic Act 1988).

Basically the only thing that is changing is the way the offense is being dealt with
gov.uk/government/consultat … nsultation

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … ■■■■■■■■■■

Slackbladder:
I was under the impression they were traffic offences already. Why the sudden interest in fining people breaking the laws they should have been fining them for in the first place.
On a lighter note I do hope carryfast reads the last one, the one about cyclists being fined for being on the pavement.

This is just government fixing something that does not need fixing

the only problem with the new legislation is the police will be out in force trying to nick as many drivers as possible

truckman20:
the only problem with the new legislation is the police will be out in force trying to nick as many drivers as possible

No they won’t ,This OLD legislation is not changing ,it is exactly the same as it was yesterday the only difference is that the offence of Careless Driving is now being dealt with by FPN or if the offender wishes he/she can request a court date

I wouldn’t like to trust the ability of the law to be able to differentiate the line between lane hogging and not returning to lane 3,2,or 1 because of clearance issues resulting from the low speed differentials caused by the overregulated speed regime,or lines of slower moving traffic needing multiple overtakes,or in anticipation of a possible conflict or hazard situation with other traffic at entry slip roads or close running vehicles resulting in a possible lane change ahead.

ROG:
I hope the cops continue to use their common sense re cyclists on the footpath as they do in our area because we have loads of virtually empty paths but busy roads so it makes safety sense for cyclists to use the paths

I think you’re being naive and crediting the law with having more intelligence than they deserve if you really believe that the law would prefer to put cyclists where they belong on the pavements instead of in harms way on the roads.

Oh no :frowning:

Scanner:
Oh no :frowning:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

To preserve the sanity of fellow TNUK’ers, could I politely request that henceforth, the thread contains none of these words:

“pc bs”
“Political agenda”
“Cyclist”
“Pavement”
“Instead of”
“Belong”
“Lobby”
Er… “Thatcher!”

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Deal, as long as its extended to all threads.