About 2hrs south of Glasgow

As it says on the tin really;

I’ve got a regular run up to Glasgow that I’ve just started, I don’t make it up there in one hit so I stop for a 45 on the way up. Now, I’ve worked out that if I can stop for the night roughly 2hrs into the return trip (M74,M6,A66) I don’t need to stop on the way home the next day except for fuel and can therfore be home sooner - as long as I don’t have to stop for a second 45 looking for somewhere (the later I stop, the later I have to start and the break’s lost time).

Soo, what I’m after is somewhere decent to spend the night that’s about an hour and a half or more from Glasgow. Ideally, an industrial estate or layby (can claim parking back but just prefer to do my own thing).

Any suggestions?

Plenty of lay bys on the old road adjacent to the motorway but for me it’d be either Crawford Arms (pay £15 parking & get free 3 course meal), Lockerbie truckstop, good food & nice bar, or perhaps Gretna dog track but at the end of the day there’s no shortage of parking places along that route. If you.ve got enough time to get there ( I run out of Stamford & I can do it to Dumbarton & back to here in 10hrs) then there’s the ind. est in Appleby, 10 min walk back into town, no trouble with motor or parking, plenty of pubs & a good chippy & quiet nights sleep,just avoid it when the ■■■■■ horse fair is on.

theres plenty of places between carlisle and glasgow to spend the night, if your looking for an hour and half from glasgow your looking at southwaite at a push it just depends where in glasgow your coming from.

Thanks guys, went for miles down the b road; 7076 iirc but all full including lockerby truckstop. On the a66 for the night now (not as quiet as I wanted really) I’ll have to have a nosey at Appleby though.

I could keep going probably to the A1 and a bit more with a 10hr day but ideally it needs to be before about half way across the 66 but at least an hour and a half from where the M74 ends at Glasgow.

Try Appleby,also the “formula one” in Brough,park by the bus garage on the left on the way into the village,cafe opens at 7 with shower etc or you can walk 5mins up the road to 2 pubs & a chippy. Then there’s Stainmore cafe if you wish in the summer but it’s a bit bleak up there in winter. If you just want a big quiet lay by then off at Brough, head for Kirby Stephen (weight limited but usually no prob’)& after about half a mile from the 66 there’s a huge lay by on the left,quiet as a churchyard! Still think Appleby’s best bet though, probably see ya there as I’m a regular,just come off 66 through Appleby (it’s the old 66) past chippy & CoOp uphill & swing left for ind.est. over railway bridge & right into estate,park anywhere just make sure you leave accesses clear. I’m there at least once a fortnight.

Trouble is, I’m looking for somewhere to park at about 1am and it’s not easy :unamused: especially if you’re the considerate type :confused:

I’ll have a look at appleby tonight if I’m sure I’ve got time but it looks a small place on streetview so I suspect it’ll be full by the time I want it…

Thanks again guys.

How’d you get on then Darkseeker? Find a spot ok?

FLIP:
How’d you get on then Darkseeker? Find a spot ok?

What about cairn lodge just off m74 £9

It is threads like these that point out how important the London Inn was :stuck_out_tongue:

darkseeker:
Thanks guys, went for miles down the b road; 7076 iirc but all full including lockerby truckstop. On the a66 for the night now (not as quiet as I wanted really) I’ll have to have a nosey at Appleby though.

I could keep going probably to the A1 and a bit more with a 10hr day but ideally it needs to be before about half way across the 66 but at least an hour and a half from where the M74 ends at Glasgow.

Lockerbie is very good, but never tried parking there after about 8pm, but always had space upto and including 8pm.

Stoped at lockerbie last week 9 50 good cafe loads of room clean showers and toilets open all night excellent place we need more like it

Darkseeker should have found a preferred place by now. It was May when he posted it, but Penrith is still OK for food and drink for me.

Wheel Nut:
Darkseeker should have found a preferred place by now. It was May when he posted it, but Penrith is still OK for food and drink for me.

Not seen any recent posts from him! Aybe hes still out there looking

bjd:

Wheel Nut:

Not seen any recent posts from him! Aybe hes still out there looking

Actually it was February, it was May when you asked him he was OK :open_mouth: