Aaassrrrggghhh - bloody women!

Last week, all I got every night is ‘the soakaway for the gutter is blocked, you need to sort it at the weekend.’

So, Saturday I get my spade out and start investigating. The pipe is full of roots and crap, and has collapsed in one place. After discussion with the house maintenance committee, I’m instructed to dig a new one. So off I set.

Digging the trench across the lawn for the new pipe and gully is OK, but when I make a start on the pit, after about 8" depth I find old ballast, lumps of concrete, heavy boulders etc. Not something I can get through by hand. So I put an appeal out on our local help group for any suggestions where I can get hold of a mini-digger. This doesn’t go down well, as I didn’t request permission first.

Tonight, all I’ve had is how I should have planned this a bit better, and not just jumped straight into it, now there’s a scar on the lawn, and what do I propose to do to sort out the problem? Hire a mini-digger I suggest? ‘Well, I’ve asked mum and she says it will be at least £200.’ ‘What do you suggest then?’. ‘Well u don’t know, that’s your department’.

Anybody got a spare brick wall I could borrow? I’ve worn this one out from hitting my head on it… [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]

I was always taught not to trust anything that bleeds for a week a doesn’t die. You can’t win mate

I might be wrong, but it sounds to me that you have hit the soakaway pal, as boulders and large chunks of rubble with voids, is a soakaway…
So all you need to do is get a foot or so within it’s perimeter and dig a hole there for a new downpipe to the bottom with lots of big holes drilled up it. (You need the holes up the sides of the pipe, as the base of the pipe will quickly block with leaves and I’d go for a 1/2 to 3/4 inch spade bit…)To dig the hole to the bottom, I’d consider hiring an SDS Max drill with a chisel blade. Then I’d backfill around the pipe with smooth pebbles (washed stone) bigger than the holes in the pipe, and then pee shingle for the rest of the pipe run.

Not sure if that helps! :laughing:

I did wonder if it was the original soakaway, but if it is, then the original pipe is heading in the wrong direction ( not that that means a lot at our house!).

Sent from my X12 using Tapatalk