AA Taylor - Poplar Motors

14 ltr:
Do you remember Bernard Currie from humbers ?

Yes,I remember Bernie,shortish,fair hair,not too sure I think at one point he drove the only Guy Warrior we had at HMcV’s,the rest of the fleet was principaly Atkinson’s!

David :smiley:

5thwheel:

14 ltr:
Do you remember Bernard Currie from humbers ?

Yes,I remember Bernie,shortish,fair hair,not too sure I think at one point he drove the only Guy Warrior we had at HMcV’s,the rest of the fleet was principaly Atkinson’s!

David :smiley:

No Bernard is from bury

'ow very droll of you Philip

Just keeping in front pete

Do you remember Colin Swindells from Pops, think he was a nephew of Brian Swindells who had quite a big transport operation on burtonwood aerodrome, smart looking motors but a bit of a hard taskmaster by all accounts. Considering Poplars was quite a big firm in their day, and Pops cafe was so popular then, I’m surprised not many more people remember them.

Don’t know of Colin but remember Brian swindels couple of my mates worked there. Roy who worked in garage at pops went there too

A few names that come to mind from Poplars, Cliff Noon, Ken Gregson, Harry Searle…Colin Oldfield and George Hill from Macclesfield…this is harder than you’ld imagine!

there is a couple of of pictures of pops motors on the northwest trucks website,a old foden and a f88 pulling a seatrain container,cheers gaz :wink:

GAZ70:
there is a couple of of pictures of pops motors on the northwest trucks website,a old foden and a f88 pulling a seatrain container,cheers gaz :wink:

I’d put them on this thread …if I knew how!!

same here pal ,not got a clue how to do that :slight_smile:

GAZ70:

Carnt find them give me a clue pls

petecud:
A few names that come to mind from Poplars, Cliff Noon, Ken Gregson, Harry Searle…Colin Oldfield and George Hill from Macclesfield…this is harder than you’ld imagine!

Ayup Pete where was/is ken gregson from

14 ltr:

petecud:

Ayup Pete where was/is ken gregson from

Does anyone know were Cliff Noon came from, as i went to school with a lad called Phillip Noon and his dad was a truck driver . This Noon,s i knew came from Winwick a small village just outside Warrington on the A49

Did’nt any of The Colliers work at Pops, I’m sure Alan Colliers Dad was ex Pops & The Colliers from Newton le Willows are still running in Poplar Motors livery…Brian Swindell should have His own thread His motors always looked a treat, I don’t know Brian very well but have met Him a few times, His son runs a clearing house now I believe…

Cliff Noon was from the Warrington area, he was shop steward at Pops during the strike around 78/9. Dennis Collier(RIP) and his lad David both worked for Pops,Ken Gregson was also from Warrington area, not sure where though, I remember him shacking up with a girl from Newbury and getting himself based at Pops Thatcham depot, don’t know if he ever came back.

fly sheet:
Did’nt any of The Colliers work at Pops, I’m sure Alan Colliers Dad was ex Pops & The Colliers from Newton le Willows are still running in Poplar Motors livery…Brian Swindell should have His own thread His motors always looked a treat, I don’t know Brian very well but have met Him a few times, His son runs a clearing house now I believe…

Were Swindells motors motors Brown coloured,and when did they pack -up ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

fly sheet:

Were Swindells motors motors Brown coloured,and when did they pack -up ? Cheers Bewick.

Maroon wi red chassis as I recall Bewick…oh & a white roof.

fly sheet:

Still see Alan from time to time don’t think his dad Brian ever worked at pops but did have a couple of wagons on containers after pops days

14 ltr:

fly sheet:

Still see Alan from time to time don’t think his dad Brian ever worked at pops but did have a couple of wagons on containers after pops days

probably My mistake 14ltr sorry about that, I think Alan & his Dad did Seatrain boxes for that Guy up Stretton way, they had a pair of lovely Volvos, I last saw Alan years ago & he was in a Mantank lorry which was a tad shiny for there kind of work…

fly sheet:

14 ltr:

fly sheet:

probably My mistake 14ltr sorry about that, I think Alan & his Dad did Seatrain boxes for that Guy up Stretton way, they had a pair of lovely Volvos, I last saw Alan years ago & he was in a Mantank lorry which was a tad shiny for there kind of work…

Works for biffa ( ex uk waste ) on vac tanks guy at Stratton was ex pops lol rategen traded as natsto Brian Finnished off at stobarts