AA Taylor - Poplar Motors

14 ltr:
No Dennis died a few years back now Brian is stil alive if you knew him. I don’t know for sure on lol but I don’t think he’s still alive

Sorry to hear that, but not that surprised,when you lose touch with people you seem to remeber them as they were then. Remember Brian slightly.
Not going to ask about anybody else incase this turns into a ‘in memoriam’ thread, best to remember things as they were! Has Derek ever told you about the Waterfront club in Hull? It was supposed to be ‘Exclusive’ but somehow we managed to be valued members!!

No not that I recall but may have at some point. Hope I can get a good few together you can all remaniss, I take It you ain’t in touch with any of them.

There was 2 of us from Crewe who worked at Pops, Rob Fowles and me, I see him occasionally and we have a bit of a remenisce about those days. I’ll try and tell Rob about Dereks do, he will know him ‘cause together with John Holman the 4 of us were on the seawheel contract out of Hull (Happy days). Saw Kenny Woods and a lad we nicknamed ‘the black prince’’ ,can’t just remeber his name,a few years back,on Hartshead moor. Met John Holman a few times up to about 14 or 15 years ago when I was doing Spain, he was driving for an oufit pulling Ferrymasters stuff.Now he was a character, we used to call him ‘the vicar’. Living in Crewe is just that bit too far away from where most of the lads lived, the only chance was if I bumped into them on the road (not literally).

I remember john vary vaigly but forgot about him.

Last I heard he was living in Wigan

I seem to recall that what age will he be now

Probably well into his 70’s now…good God!! don’t time fly!! Thinking about it there weren’t many 'young drivers at Pops even then, I’d guess that Derek and David Collier were the youngest there…and they’re approaching 60!! Not many drivers left Pops of their own accord, a lot of them were 20 or 30 year men even then. There was another youngish chap who had that sleeper Foden before your dad, when he got a Volvo your dad got the Foden…just can’t think of his name…Trevor… I think.

Trevor doesn’t ring any bells I’ll ask Dave. What about George tranter

Yes; certanly remember George, he bought a truck from Pops not long before they finished altogether, I did a couple of weeks for him. Think he went on the coal tipper job when there was some strike or other, not seen him since them days…is he still about?

He also bought ex pops f88 of my dad MBG766R. I don’t know I do know dad not seen him for years

Do you remember Roy out of garage at pops

Not off the top of my head, but i remember Arthur and his dad running the garage…and Jack Leach striding about as if he owned it all…nice bloke though. just googled Colliers transport…see they’re still using Pops colours, nice looking fleet though…wonder if they’d give me a start…or perhaps not!

petecud:
Not off the top of my head, but i remember Arthur and his dad running the garage…and Jack Leach striding about as if he owned it all…nice bloke though. just googled Colliers transport…see they’re still using Pops colours, nice looking fleet though…wonder if they’d give me a start…or perhaps not!

Yes he is I like the maroon and blue myself, I would like to get hold of Roy as he also worked with dad after pops days. I’ll try pm you my phone number.

Got it! I’ll text you .

Reeto

A bit disappointed at the response to this threader, perhaps should have expected it, after all, Poplar Motors finished over 30 years ago. Most of the then drivers are probably in Pops cafe in the sky by now, with Harry and Deliah serving them while John Radford is filling the ■■■ machine!

Or still trying to get up Wardy bank with a 240 gardner

petecud:
There was 2 of us from Crewe who worked at Pops, Rob Fowles and me, I see him occasionally and we have a bit of a remenisce about those days. I’ll try and tell Rob about Dereks do, he will know him ‘cause together with John Holman the 4 of us were on the seawheel contract out of Hull (Happy days). Saw Kenny Woods and a lad we nicknamed ‘the black prince’’ ,can’t just remeber his name,a few years back,on Hartshead moor. Met John Holman a few times up to about 14 or 15 years ago when I was doing Spain, he was driving for an oufit pulling Ferrymasters stuff.Now he was a character, we used to call him ‘the vicar’. Living in Crewe is just that bit too far away from where most of the lads lived, the only chance was if I bumped into them on the road (not literally).

What a laugh,we had a Roy ? that drove at Humber McVeigh’s,when we used to overnight in London,he spent most of his time in a pub called The Church Inn,so much so we nicknamed him The Vicar!!!

Good times.

David :slight_smile:

Do you remember Bernard Currie from humbers ?

14 ltr:
He also bought ex pops f88 of my dad MBG766R. I don’t know I do know dad not seen him for years

CJA1:
Any u Guy"s remember a Guy called George Ratcliffe? worked there early 70s, and another Big Guy from warrington used av a pint with im at Greenock, can"t remember his name, Bit of a Lad? Regards CJA1 Chris.