A74 (M)

Hi everyone

just curious is the A74 (M), motorway or dual carriageway?

cheers

Flipside

Both but it will be a motorway when the roadworks is finished

the reason for being curious is i was down there yesterday, and allot of trucks were slowing down for the mobile speed cameras.

i was unsure of the speed for the road so i just stuck to 50 :frowning:

Flipside

Is there something different about the A74 (M) that I don’t know about? All roads named (M) are motorways with motorway restrictions and speed limits as far as I am aware!

The A74(M) and M74 motorways are two major motorways in Scotland, running continuously from the southern outskirts of Glasgow to the English border at Gretna. In conjunction with the M6 motorway, it forms one of the two major cross-border routes between Scotland and England. It is part of the unsigned international E-road network E05. Although the entire route is usually referred to as the M74, more than half of its length is officially designated as the A74(M); see Numbering confusion below.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A74(M_and_M74_motorways

The road is a sham thats what it is.

Smart Mart:
Is there something different about the A74 (M) that I don’t know about? All roads named (M) are motorways with motorway restrictions and speed limits as far as I am aware!

Beat me to it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thanks everyone

foot to the floor now :smiling_imp:

Flipside

The A74 as now all but motorway in name. The widening works have been completed north and south bound,. The night crews have been busy white lining, putting in central reservation barriers and generally snagging. The road is opening (allegedly!!) as the M6 extension on the 5th December until then there is a 50mph limit, this limit is strictly enforced by average speed cameras so you done right to stick to 50 :wink:

Aky31:

How can this be possible? It’s got to be one or the other :smiley:

mrpj:

Aky31:

At the moment it’s a dual carriageway A74, once the widening work has finished it will be renamed M6 and will be the new extension. At present junction 44 is the end junction, Guardsmill at the A74/M74 interchange will become junction 45 of the M6

At the moment, the northern end of the M6 is J44, and between there and the southern end of the M74 or A74(M) at Gretna is dual carriageway.

When the present upgrading of the ‘missing link’ is completed, my understanding is that the M74/A74(M) will disappear and it’ll be the M6 all the way to Glasgow.

mrpj:

Aky31:

Not really, every motorway is by definition also a dual carriageway.

Paul

An easy way to tell if in doubt…if the road signs are green (or other)its not a motorway. If they’re blue then its a motorway. There are quite a few examples of two lane motorways across the country.

In my earlier days the A74 was a 40mph limit almost all of the way and them Jock coppers policed it with enthusiasm :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
In my earlier days the A74 was a 40mph limit almost all of the way and them Jock coppers policed it with enthusiasm :stuck_out_tongue:

that’s a bit before my time, being a young lad! :wink:

and it was so long ago wagon & drags were 30

i could not imagine doing 30 all the way up the road, must have been torture

Flipside

Flipside:
i could not imagine doing 30 all the way up the road, must have been torture

Flipside

I cannot remember exactly how much was not duelled, but in my memory I think it was 3 lanes and occasional pieces of dual near the England end. There were definately quite a lot of HGV 40 limits though.

Help my old memory out someone :smiley:

A57(M) Mancunian way has a 50 limit, but then it is only about three quarters of a mile long.

mikewhi wrote:-

A57(M) Mancunian way has a 50 limit, but then it is only about three quarters of a mile long.

From what I remember of the Mancunian Way you are lucky to get out of low range most of the time! :laughing: :laughing: