A68 south from Edinburgh

How is this road

14.5 Arctic with not much weight. No bridges buf yz is tight. Going to tadcaster but have family in newastle and might night out near them? Will I do newcastle in 3 hrs.

Thanks.

Done it several times last time about 25 yrs ago but what I remember it’s very scenic and a nice drive but then again roads were quieter then. As for times can’t remember that much. Forgot to say I done it in an artic perfectly ok but didn’t go as far as Tadcaster .

you will do Newcastle in about 2hrs and no problems coming down that road

I’ve used it several times over the years.It’s more scenic,less busy and shorter than the A1.Plus via the A697 you will hit the A1 at morpeth just above Newcastle.The A68 all the way to Darlington is a bit hilly but fine running light.Nice scenery too.

Careful with your speed through Jedburgh, have seen camera van there a few times recently. Also if you are intending staying on the 68 stay alert south of Rochester, the road you are on turns into the 696 and you need to turn off the road to stay on the 68, it has caught quite a few out over the years.
The 68 is a good road but if I was coming over soutra heading for Newcastle I would go down the 697, its a great part of the country to drive through.

Cheers chaps.
Change of plan had to come down the 74. Just parked at j10

:smiley: :smiley: when you cross the border at the top of the hill before Berwick, stop at the burger van, he does a crackin roll an square sausage…lol

The chippy next to the dock gate at Berwick used to be real good but that was a few years ago now

weewulliewinkie:
:smiley: :smiley: when you cross the border at the top of the hill before Berwick, stop at the burger van, he does a crackin roll an square sausage…lol

if you use the A68, it’s a long diversion to cross the border at Berwick, when I used the A68 years ago the border was at Carter Bar.

Came up the 68 from Morpeth last Thur morn full reefer load boxed beef outta Huntington for Tesco Livingston.
Some views alright, few tight wee bends though!!!
That’s a real creepy derelict garage/restaurant along that road on the lefthandside in the Norththumberland forest part!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I cut cross country from Moffat when I’m heading to edinburgh - A701. Lovely road for the views.

Buckstones:

weewulliewinkie:

if you use the A68, it’s a long diversion to cross the border at Berwick, when I used the A68 years ago the border was at Carter Bar.

you can end up anywhere following a satnav, iether that or its a pretty tasty Square Sausage Roll. I should be up the A1 next week, I now feel the need to critique one of these rolls - @weewulliewinkie is the van north or south bound laybys (and I take it you mean right on the border just north of Berwick ■■

Big Truck:
Came up the 68 from Morpeth last Thur morn full reefer load boxed beef outta Huntington for Tesco Livingston.
That’s a real creepy derelict garage/restaurant along that road on the lefthandside in the Norththumberland forest part!!![emoji52]

do you mean the 697 out of Morpeth ? I can’t think what garage you are referring too, could it be Mortons just north of wooler?

Bluey Circles:

Buckstones:

weewulliewinkie:

you can end up anywhere following a satnav, iether that or its a pretty tasty Square Sausage Roll. I should be up the A1 next week, I now feel the need to critique one of these rolls - @weewulliewinkie is the van north or south bound laybys (and I take it you mean right on the border just north of Berwick ■■

Big Truck:

do you mean the 697 out of Morpeth ? I can’t think what garage you are referring too, could it be Mortons just north of wooler?

Yes came off A1 and when up 697 through Jedburgh til I hit the 68.

Maybe the derelict garage was on the 697■■
Seem to remember there was a big lake close to it possibly??
DEFO gonna stop for some FB pics next time I’m passing!!!

Big Truck:

Bluey Circles:

Buckstones:

Big Truck:

Yes came off A1 and when up 697 through Jedburgh til I hit the 68.

Maybe the derelict garage was on the 697■■
Seem to remember there was a big lake close to it possibly??
DEFO gonna stop for some FB pics next time I’m passing!!!

Aye - presumably this will be the recently closed down filling station just south of the Catcleugh reservoir. I used to be up and down that road all the time, could be a pita in the winter with wagons stuck with near bald drive tyres in the snow…
googlestreetview 2009
It was up for sale.
rightmove.co.uk/commercial-p … 46669.html

I take it you left Newcastle on the 696 and were no where near Morpeth or the 697, either that or your satnav through a serious wobbly to get you to Byrness from morpeth

My mistake[emoji28]
was the 696 up through Ponteland and onto the 68.

The 697 take much longer to get to Edinburgh??
More scenic than the 696■■

my mistake the burger van is on the A1…but still worth a stop nevertheless

Big Truck:
My mistake[emoji28]
was the 696 up through Ponteland and onto the 68.

Nice road use to use it a lot but watch the 26 speed cameras

weewulliewinkie:
my mistake the burger van is on the A1…but still worth a stop nevertheless

south bound or northboud ?
I am a sausage sandwich connoisseur I I need to try one of these out

Heading north tommorow. I will be full though is it a drag with a lot of weight. Fancy a change from the usual m6/74. Heading to grangemouth.

It’s fine