A66 Speed Cameras

Went over the top last night. They were installing speed cameras on the 6 mile stretch of roadworks near Stainmore that are going to last until the end of October.

TBH I’m happy with that. I’d rather have a 40 MPH contraflow than the ridiculous situation that went on on both Appleby and Temple Sowerby bypasses where they ran a convoy system where you’d be waiting 20 minutes or more for the convoy vehicle to turn up then plod through the 3 miles of roadworks at 10MPH.

All laybys over that stretch from Bowes to Brough are shut too and the ones before and after will be rammed as a result so don’t plan your journeys with any thoughts of nighting out on the A66. It’s also looking like you can’t turn right into the truckstop from the westbound carriageway or turn right out of the truckstop to go west.

You don’t want to be nightouting on the A66 - been a lot of fuel thefts and curtain cutting on that road lately . We have been told either park in Penrith truckstop or Leeming Bar / Coneygarth but in no circumstances are we to park up on the A66

One of my first…

Ever nights out on the A66. I had no idea about it’s elevation and nearly froze to death up there. To add to the experience, a valve on the air system of my Bedford with a Detroit diesel (what a noise that thing made), froze up. I watched with a growing sense of unease as all the tanks just kept filling up. At the time I thought the thing would go bang. It didn’t and by the time I got to Scotch Corner, everything was fine.