A620 Can I or can’t I?

Can someone shed some light on the following please, there is a sign on the A620 (approaching from Gainsborough way) as per pic, just before the village of Clarborough, Nottinghamshire. The other pic is the entrance to the road that is the alternative route to avoid the low bridge. As you can see there is also a 7.5t weight limit sign on this route.

A few question arise,

Have the council put up a confusing pointless weight limit sign?

Is the idea that this is a route for vehicles that are higher than 12ft6 but less than 7.5 tonne (if such things exist) or maybe for the one in a million people towing a sailing boat?

Or am I being totally stupid and have missed something obvious? (very likely)

Any info would be great.

Cheers

Jamie

IMG_0222.jpg

Logically it really does mean for 12’6’’ > but only > 7.5t.

Normally you’d see a sign on the 7.5t restriction stating except for over height vehicles. But judging by the scrub marks from heavies on the second pic I’d say the except access gets used quite a bit

A list of local councillors’ addresses may well be enlightening. :smiley:

Night-and-day:
Normally you’d see a sign on the 7.5t restriction stating except for over height vehicles. But judging by the scrub marks from heavies on the second pic I’d say the except access gets used quite a bit

That’s…

A lot of heavies at that junction. I notice the tree overhang in the background looks about 16 feet.

Yeah , something of an enigma that one , but as to can I or can’t I ? , and having viewed the alternative weight limit route on streetview , the question I’d be asking myself would be , would I even want to ?
Incidentally , the humpback bridge over the canal half a mile or so along the route may have something to do with the weight limit sign .

and from the other end…

Looks as though this guy decided to go for it anyway … weight limit or no weight limit .

cav551:
A list of local councillors’ addresses may well be enlightening. :smiley:

Cheers, Emailed the district council yesterday, so will see what they say.

Eddie Heaton:
Yeah , something of an enigma that one , but as to can I or can’t I ? , and having viewed the alternative weight limit route on streetview , the question I’d be asking myself would be , would I even want to ?
Incidentally , the humpback bridge over the canal half a mile or so along the route may have something to do with the weight limit sign .

Yeah I looked at that myself, it’s not a route I take myself but a friend at work does and we were just talking about if we should/could or not. if I were to have an incident, even if it wasn’t my fault my company would be very much what were you doing on that road when you shouldn’t be so that’s why I avoid it, but he risks it.

Eddie Heaton:
Looks as though this guy decided to go for it anyway … weight limit or no weight limit .

To be fair he’s doing a better job of keeping to his own side of the road than many car drivers do.

Granted CF , but he ain’t got to the tricky bit yet .

In short. Yes you can use it so long as your overheight. Although I doubt anyone stood there with a tape measure. Seems pointless having a weight limit as seen as most vehicles on the road that can’t get under that bridge are also over over 7.5 ton. It’s probably an exercise by the local council to appease residents complaining about lorries using the road.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

mat79:
In short. Yes you can use it so long as your overheight. Although I doubt anyone stood there with a tape measure. Seems pointless having a weight limit as seen as most vehicles on the road that can’t get under that bridge are also over over 7.5 ton. It’s probably an exercise by the local council to appease residents complaining about lorries using the road.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

Yeah I contacted the relevant district council and had a reply today, he said that vehicles over 12ft6 and over 7.5 tonne weight can use the alternative route. I replied that the signage doesn’t actually say that and a sign like the one in this pic should be added (with the relevant bridge height), I await a response, (god I must be bored) lol