A620 avoiding low bridge/7.5 tonne limit

Calling all TruckNet armchair experts.

This is the A620 at Retford.

The “avoiding low bridge” route is a 7.5 tonne limit “except for access” for its entirety.

Can you still use it to by-pass the low bridge?

If not, what is the point of the “avoiding low bridge” signs at either end when most of the traffic needing to avoid the low bridge will be over 7.5 tonne?

No, you may not (legally) use that route in anything bigger than a 7.5 tonner. There are places (I’ve seen signs around Derby, for example) where weight limit exemptions for overheight vehicles exist, but that doesn’t appear to be one of them.

Thanks, that’s what I suspected… although I’m being told otherwise.

I’d say yes. If Its says except for access not loading. You need it to access the a620. Unless someone proves me wrong.

I’d go down it. Sign telling you to, providing your over height nothing to worryabout

Roymondo:
No, you may not (legally) use that route in anything bigger than a 7.5 tonner. There are places (I’ve seen signs around Derby, for example) where weight limit exemptions for overheight vehicles exist, but that doesn’t appear to be one of them.

The diversion route for overheight vehicles off the A619 between Worksop and Barlborough has a 7.5 tonne limit and specifically states that vehicles over 13’6" may use it.

I found this -

“The Council is planning to introduce an environmental weight restriction along these two roads which will only permit heavy goods vehicles that are avoiding the low bridge on the A620 and those using the road to access local properties or businesses,” said transport plans and programmes manager Kevin Sharman.

http://www.retfordpeople.co.uk/Historic-breakthrough-village-HGV-campaign/story-17175225-detail/story.html

But the signage at the scene doesn’t include anything about exemptions for overheight vehicles; just your bog-standard 7.5 tonne except for access sign.

Cruise Control:
I’d say yes. If Its says except for access not loading. You need it to access the a620. Unless someone proves me wrong.

“Except for access” means that the prohibition applies except for the purpose of gaining access to premises or land along that road where no other route exists. Always has done, and (probably) always will.

It says ( A620 ) :laughing: avoiding LOW BRIDGE! :grimacing: if you’re over 12’ 6" :sunglasses: you’re turning LEFT! :wink: and there’s nothing they can do about it! :smiley: ! Lol :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Cruise Control:
I’d go down it. Sign telling you to, providing your over height nothing to worryabout

I’d agree.

The sign is telling you that the route to the left is a route if you are to avoid the low bridge, so even though there may be a 7.5t limit, no court is going to prosecute, as there will be a contradiction in the signage put up by the council.

Ken.

Fatboy slimslow:
It says ( A620 ) :laughing: avoiding LOW BRIDGE! :grimacing: if you’re over 12’ 6" :sunglasses: you’re turning LEFT! :wink: and there’s nothing they can do about it! :smiley: ! Lol :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Except that if you are also over 7.5 tonnes you should be turning around, not turning left…

I have looked at Google Street View and when that was done there was no weight limit shown for Tiln Lane or Smeath Lane.

If they have imposed a weight limit since then they must have put an alternative route in before Retford town centre. It would seem strange, but not impossible to have a low bridge on an A road and no clearly defined alternative route.

Roymondo:

Fatboy slimslow:

Except that if you are also over 7.5 tonnes you should be turning around, not turning left…

nope, read the sign :sunglasses: left turn CLYDE! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

waddy640:
I have looked at Google Street View and when that was done there was no weight limit shown for Tiln Lane or Smeath Lane.

The weight limit was imposed fairly recently. 2012 I think.

Local knowledge here guys…The 7.5 tonne weight limit ONLY applies to under-height vehicles that CAN get under Welham rail bridge…If you are OVER HEIGHT you can go down Smeath Lane even at 44 tonnes. The 7.5 tonne limit was introduced to try to stop Smeath Lane being used as a short cut but it’s the only viable alt. route for high vehicles between Retford & Gainsborough. (I think Welham bridge is 12’9" from memory). Definitely turn left. Some local do-gooders tried to stop 44 tonners using it to get from Retford - Gainsborough (including a jumped up Councillor who knows nowt about trucks) but to no avail. The latest thing they want to introduce is to apply a 50mph speed limit along the Smeath to try & slow trucks down - what a huge difference that will make as HGV’s are on 40 mph limit ALREADY - single carriageway!!!

Daz1970:
Local knowledge here guys…The 7.5 tonne weight limit ONLY applies to under-height vehicles that CAN get under Welham rail bridge…If you are OVER HEIGHT you can go down Smeath Lane even at 44 tonnes. The 7.5 tonne limit was introduced to try to stop Smeath Lane being used as a short cut but it’s the only viable alt. route for high vehicles between Retford & Gainsborough. (I think Welham bridge is 12’9" from memory). Definitely turn left. Some local do-gooders tried to stop 44 tonners using it to get from Retford - Gainsborough (including a jumped up Councillor who knows nowt about trucks) but to no avail. The latest thing they want to introduce is to apply a 50mph speed limit along the Smeath to try & slow trucks down - what a huge difference that will make as HGV’s are on 40 mph limit ALREADY - single carriageway!!!

Sounds about right, a councillor poking their nose in to get a few votes.

Having looked at Smeath Lane on Google I would think even 40 is optimistic in places, more likely a “boyracer” route after dark.

Daz1970:
Local knowledge here guys…The 7.5 tonne weight limit ONLY applies to under-height vehicles that CAN get under Welham rail bridge…If you are OVER HEIGHT you can go down Smeath Lane even at 44 tonnes.

Why doesn’t the signage make that clear then?

I’ve used it today at 44 tonnes and nobody batted an eyelid… and it’s Retford, so there’s extra eyelids (and fingers and toes) on each person. :laughing:

No offence.

waddy640:
Sounds about right, a councillor poking their nose in to get a few votes.

Having looked at Smeath Lane on Google I would think even 40 is optimistic in places, more likely a “boyracer” route after dark.

Spot on… 40mph on a good day!!! Something else they suggested - in the name of ‘slowing down’ the trucks using Smeath Lane is a 20 mph limit outside Carr Hill school. Nothing against that at all, however at school run time with
4 x 4’s, lollipop lady & school buses stopping etc. you’ve all on getting to 5 mph never mind 20mph!!!
Historically this route has been used by local haulage firms John Brash, Ken Lane, Trent Wharfage to name a few plus double-decker buses with little or no incidents. Far more non-local trucks have struck either the low bridge at Welham or the early warning bars at least!!!

Contraflow:

Daz1970:
Local knowledge here guys…The 7.5 tonne weight limit ONLY applies to under-height vehicles that CAN get under Welham rail bridge…If you are OVER HEIGHT you can go down Smeath Lane even at 44 tonnes.

Why doesn’t the signage make that clear then?

I’ve used it today at 44 tonnes and nobody batted an eyelid… and it’s Retford, so there’s extra eyelids (and fingers and toes) on each person. :laughing:

No offence.

Ha ha…yeah I suppose we’ve got our fair share of inbreds!! But there are some good folk in & around the town!!!

Daz, is the lorry park in the middle of town still open? Used to be real handy to park there.