A57 snake pass

As the A628 Woodhead pass was closed last night, I asked a couple of drivers if they’d ever been along the A57 from Manchester to Sheffield, and whether it’s ok for lorries, as I’ve never used it. They both told me there’s a 7.5 ton weight limit on it. However, I can’t find anything on the net about this.

So my question is, can I use the A57 from Manchester to Sheffield in a 44 ton artic?

Going the M62 (as I did) was an additional 34 miles!

Most of the original routes are shorter than the new fangled motorways, but now with average speed cameras and footballers buying houses the main roads are turning into overgrown lanes.

Use them or lose them [emoji14]

I’m not aware…

Of a 7.5 ton limit on the A57 but, I haven’t used it in over 15 years.

If you want the scenic route to Sheffield from Manchester take the A628 Woodhead Pass and go over the top that way. The M62 is route is longer but works out the same timewise.

Using either route over the top usually leaves you stuck behind some hopeless newb on his first day with 44 tons or Fred and Cynthia from Blackpool slowing down and pointing at everything from trees to passing clouds.

yourhavingalarf:
I’m not aware…

Of a 7.5 ton limit on the A57 but, I haven’t used it in over 15 years.

If you want the scenic route to Sheffield from Manchester take the A628 Woodhead Pass and go over the top that way. The M62 is route is longer but works out the same timewise.

Using either route over the top usually leaves you stuck behind some hopeless newb on his first day with 44 tons or Fred and Cynthia from Blackpool slowing down and pointing at everything from trees to passing clouds.

Some one hasn’t read ops post [emoji849]He said woodhead was shut [emoji6]

blue estate:
Some one hasn’t read ops post [emoji849]He said woodhead was shut [emoji6]

The question is…

‘can I use the A57 from Manchester to Sheffield in a 44 ton artic?’

Use: The pass is used to cross the pennines by - on average - 4200 vehicles per day, 100 of which are HGVs [2016

glossop.online/traffic/a57-snak … c-live.php

Out of interest, How would you spot a “hopeless newb” on woodhead?

No weight limit on the A57 Snake Pass.

The only advice is there are some interesting bends in which opposite traffic can end up crossing the centre line so take your time and also, there WERE Temporary traffic lights just before you enter the 30mph restrition.

PM.

Woodhead route will be closed 8pm-6am until 9th October Monday to Thursday.

idrive:

The godalmighty…

Queue of traffic behind them, the brake lights on EVERY curve, the kerb climbing, the brake lights on uphill stretches, the position of the outfit over the white lines and never ever going over 30mph.

Before you start, no I wasn’t a hopeless newb. I’d already been a drivers mate for six years before I took my class 1 over 35 years ago.

Fascinating,absoulutely fascinating thread. :wink:

yourhavingalarf:

idrive:

The godalmighty…

Queue of traffic behind them, the brake lights on EVERY curve, the kerb climbing, the brake lights on uphill stretches, the position of the outfit over the white lines and never ever going over 30mph.

Before you start, no I wasn’t a hopeless newb. I’d already been a drivers mate for six years before I took my class 1 over 35 years ago.

Wasn’t having a go mate

Personally I’m always happy to tuck in behind a wagon over there, much safer and less stressful than pushing it

jakethesnake:
Fascinating,absoulutely fascinating thread. :wink:

Might not be riveting to you mate in the same way we get ■■■■■■ off with your constantly wet tear ducts regarding drivers tailgating.

Get yourself over to your local neighbourhood watch meeting fella. You would go down a storm.

It’s fine for a truck. God knows where they got weight limit from.
Depening where your going to and.from can be easier going via m62.
As traffic at end off wood head and snake.pass gun inn traffic lights upto the m67 can be a.night mare

Used to go over it quite a bit when we had a customer near the Sheffield end of it. Some of the bends are a bit tight but nothing to get your knickers in a twist over, I thought it was fine.

edd1974:
As traffic at end off wood head and snake.pass gun inn traffic lights upto the m67 can be a.night mare

Cheers edd.

I’d be going from Manchester airport to about a mile west of Meadowhall… after midnight, so traffic queues won’t be a problem (but road closures would :imp: )

ezydriver:

edd1974:

Cheers edd.

I’d be going from Manchester airport to about a mile west of Meadowhall… after midnight, so traffic queues won’t be a problem (but road closures would :imp: )

Ideally you want wood head if it’s open.
Nice all night snack van.portacabin end of wood head just before get on m 1

In tht case why not go A6 to Dove Holes, A623 to Baslow then drop over the tops into Sheffield.No low bridges and no traffic that time of night.

Guess that’s one way to go.
Could use new a 6 bypass from airport to disley. If it’s open.
Heard it’s due too open anytime now

Anyway getting to Sheffield will be easier when.they .build mottram Moore bypass/ tunnel.
Just hope I’m alive to see it

dowahdiddyman:
In tht case why not go A6 to Dove Holes, A623 to Baslow then drop over the tops into Sheffield.No low bridges and no traffic that time of night.

AA route planner…

Via Doveholes/Baslow 53.3 miles 1 hour 59 minutes.

Via Woodhead 47.8 miles 1 hour 14 minutes.