A50 Eastbound A518 (Uttoxeter) to A515 (Sudbury) Diversion

Click for larger image.

If you are more than 15’3" (4.6m) and following the diversion south on the A518 from Uttoxeter, when you get to the A51 (Weston) you should turn left then immediately right at the traffic lights to continue on the A518 towards Stafford. There is a 15’3" (4.6m) railway bridge on the A51 near Hixon. Don’t be like the pallet decker doing the reverse of shame last night (still better than hitting the bridge).

Why not just use the B5017 past Marchington? Can’t see any weight or height limits at either end on Google Street view.

welshmark:
Why not just use the B5017 past Marchington? Can’t see any weight or height limits at either end on Google Street view.

It certainly was possible in a double decker, I think at one point it was the official diversion westbound, but I haven’t done it in at least 2 years so can’t be sure things haven’t changed. (I was not on the A50.)

Just avoid totally! Traffic news yesterday reporting three hours to travel from Uttoxeter to Stoke. Why bother?

Apologies. It was meant more as a general warning than a now warning because it is/used to be a common route for pallet networks to Burton and Fradley Park. After seeing the pallet decker reversing (with help) (and a car transporter stopped at Weston) I thought I’d post. I should have been more specific.

The A50 A518 to A515 section was only closed overnight (I think until Friday). The 15’03" bridge on the A51 is first sign posted about a mile before the bridge and there’s few places to turn round. The Ed Weetman yard is the only place I can think of, fortunately it’s not a long reverse from the bridge. There’s also a 16’00" bridge if you go north on the A51 towards Stoke that is only sign posted about a quarter mile before.

The section causing daytime traffic is near Blythe Bridge which I don’t think it’s closed overnight, but the diversion is short (A521 Blythe Marsh) and I assume low traffic during the night.

Anyway, good on the driver for not mindlessly ploughing into the bridge.

Cuttlefish:
The section causing daytime traffic is near Blythe Bridge which I don’t think it’s closed overnight, but the diversion is short (A521 Blythe Marsh) and I assume low traffic during the night.

Anyway, good on the driver for not mindlessly ploughing into the bridge.

The Stoke closure is night and day for the next 2 weeks on the west bound side, then I believe it changes to an eastbound closure for another 3 weeks

welshmark:

It’s a bit narrow in places, and there are a few sharp corners where you have to take it slowly and swing all the way out, but I did it last week in an Artic. It’s pretty much at 30/40 mph speed limit all the way along it.

But it only delayed me by an additional 20 minutes, rather than whatever that official diversion route was.