A423 from M40 j11 up to the a45 at Ryton-on-Dunsmore

Just wondering if anyone uses this route is the A423 a suitable road for an artic running with 15ft 2inch high trailer going from the M40 junction 11 to join the A45 at Ryton-on Dunsmore

Many years since I travelled that route but I recall a low bridge a few miles south of Ryton which I passed at 14ft. 3".You had better make enquiries for true height to be certain.

There is a bridge just before Marton, I’m fairly sure it’s 15ft 3in but if its lower you can take the A423 up to A426 at Southam and cut across to Dunchurch, turn left at the lights and onto A45 at Thurlaston which avoids it.

The bit between Southam and Banbury on the A423 I use fairly frequently with a decker at 16ft 1in so is fine.

However be warned there is much HS2 work going on at the top end towards Southam and there have been closures.

Ironically anything but smart motorways and ridiculous variable limits and resulting manufactured congestion have made the old non motorway routes the default choice.
Even to the point where the Norf Circular is often if not usually better than using the M25.
While the M1 is now a no go unfit for purpose joke among others.
The problem then being dawdling drivers both truck and car then wrecking those alternatives too.Sometimes trundling along at as slow as 35mph in NSL sections.

I havent used it but I found this web page useful for low bridges,its free.
hgvalliance.com/Helpful-Gui … -finder/uk

Once you press the square in the top right corner,it opens up in google maps.Then you can use it in conjuncti on with google maps.Once you are finished with it you can cancel it by clicking on the layers and pressing the low bridge icon

If you’re going up as far as Ryton, isn’t it quicker to just go M40-A46-A45?

According Google maps it’s only 7 miles longer, and it’s quicker in driving time.

Or is there a road closure?

Carryfast:
Ironically anything but smart motorways and ridiculous variable limits and resulting manufactured congestion have made the old non motorway routes the default choice.
Even to the point where the Norf Circular is often if not usually better than using the M25.
The problem then being dawdling drivers both truck and car then wrecking those alternatives too.Sometimes trundling along at as slow as 35mph in NSL sections.

Cool story but what has that got to do with the OP’s question about using a stretch of road about 100 miles away from what you are waffling on about.

the nodding donkey:

According Google maps it’s only 7 miles longer, and it’s quicker in driving time.

The idea is probably the hope that less M42 and M1 avoiding traffic will use the 423.
Ironically I did a return run back from Birmingham on Friday afternoon and the only bit of motorway I used was the M4 from the A404 to Colnbrook.

tmcassett:

Carryfast:

Cool story but what has that got to do with the OP’s question about using a stretch of road about 100 miles away from what you are waffling on about.

I was referring to the fact that using the A423 v M42 is a similar choice as using the North Circ v M25.Or for that matter avoiding the M40 or M1 completely between London and Birmingham.Also sure the 423 isn’t 100 miles from either.Unless Birmingham is now over 200 miles from London.

Thanks all for the replies

the nodding donkey:

Yeah it is quicker was just looking at an alternative if their are ever problems on the m40 after junction 11

trucker10:

the nodding donkey:

Yeah it is quicker was just looking at an alternative if their are ever problems on the m40 after junction 11

You’ve also got A361 from J11 but in places its a bit twisty, A43 from J10…

You see RM trailers to and from the coventry hub using this road all the time. Swan Neck double deckers (14’7") can get under that bridge OK, but not the white-fronted 16’4" ones obviously.

Of confusion to some, you come off at J11 on the M40, and it is an easy mistake to make taking the A361 road off that main roundabout, which IS passable for artics, but has wonky overhanging elizabethan houses en route.

To get to the Southam road as per OP, you drive into Banbury itself, then turn right at the Kraft Cheese factory roundabout to get onto the A423… This is easy overnight, but involves negotiating the mid-town traffic during the day of course.

The Tollbar End roundabout - is arguably easier to get to now by staying on the M40 upto the A46 junction during the daytime. It is a longer route, but has no temporary traffic lights, road works, and stationary town traffic on it.

I found that route good for Banbury to Nuneaton a year back during the busiest times of the daytime traffic.
I tried using the A423 to get out of Banbury just that first time, only to be held up by everything from climate change protestors to tractors and even classic cars pottering along at 30mph on the national speed limit sections.

Winseer:
You see RM trailers to and from the coventry hub using this road all the time. Swan Neck double deckers (14’7") can get under that bridge OK, but not the white-fronted 16’4" ones obviously.

Of confusion to some, you come off at J11 on the M40, and it is an easy mistake to make taking the A361 road off that main roundabout, which IS passable for artics, but has wonky overhanging elizabethan houses en route.

To get to the Southam road as per OP, you drive into Banbury itself, then turn right at the Kraft Cheese factory roundabout to get onto the A423… This is easy overnight, but involves negotiating the mid-town traffic during the day of course.

The Tollbar End roundabout - is arguably easier to get to now by staying on the M40 upto the A46 junction during the daytime. It is a longer route, but has no temporary traffic lights, road works, and stationary town traffic on it.

I found that route good for Banbury to Nuneaton a year back during the busiest times of the daytime traffic.
I tried using the A423 to get out of Banbury just that first time, only to be held up by everything from climate change protestors to tractors and even classic cars pottering along at 30mph on the national speed limit sections.

Basically it’s mostly about whatever it takes to avoid the M42 and M1 and the knock on effects of that on the M40.You can now add traffic using the A1 to avoid the M1.Then A10 A15, A19 etc etc to avoid the A1.Its like bleedin dominoes not helped by Waze etc making even the geographically dumbest drivers experts.

Carryfast:

Winseer:

Basically it’s mostly about whatever it takes to avoid the M42 and M1 and the knock on effects of that on the M40.You can now add traffic using the A1 to avoid the M1.Then A10 A15, A19 etc etc to avoid the A1.Its like bleedin dominoes not helped by Waze etc making even the geographically dumbest drivers experts.

You definitely are :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

‘Carryfast’:

You definitely are :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Depends if you think the M1, M42 and M25 etc are fit for purpose or not.Might as well add M11 and M6 to that these days.Not many upsides to using them often outweighed by the downsides.Traffic levels on the alternatives seems to confirm it, unfortunately .

The low bridge on the A423 at Marton has been demolished. It’s very much the scenic route compared to the M40/A46 route but you can take any size vehicle along there now.

Ironically I had to make the return run from Manchester to Surrey last week.I never used any motorways except M40 from Warwick to Wycombe and M4 from Maidenhead to Col brook .