A41 Cheshire/Shropshire

I travel down this road regularly from Runcorn to Market Drayton (Muller) and I have to say I’ve never seen a route like it for mobile speed cameras.
From MD to M53 today I passed 4 in a matter of 29 miles, luckily other drivers gave me the flash and thumbs down aand I returned the favour on the way back :wink:

Must suely be the worst stretch of road for these money making ‘crime stoppers’ :smiling_imp:

Over the years there have been a large number of regular, serious accidents & fatalities on the road from Whitchurh through to Newport (A41). Tern Hill used to have traffic lights & is now a roundabout & new road layout to bypass Wollerton & Hodnet to get to Telford or Shrewsbury (better road :wink: ) the old road being narrow & windy. Loads of speed cameras & police about, guess we just have to put up with that :unamused: They seem to gone a lot heavier on speed restrictions around there as well, not like years gone by :exclamation:

If you were a professional driver you would not be worried about speed cameras as you would be not exceeding the speed limits for the vehicle you are driving.

redbob:
I travel down this road regularly from Runcorn to Market Drayton (Muller) and I have to say I’ve never seen a route like it for mobile speed cameras.
From MD to M53 today I passed 4 in a matter of 29 miles, luckily other drivers gave me the flash and thumbs down aand I returned the favour on the way back :wink:

Must suely be the worst stretch of road for these money making ‘crime stoppers’ :smiling_imp:

I use the A41 quite a lot and usually see one a bit south of the Raven Cafe, they were there yesterday. Often after stopping in the Raven for breakfast I then see the same van again because he has moved up the road in that time. I like to flip the finger at them them when they fail to get me for the second time in the space of about an hour. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

GILES:
If you were a professional driver you would not be worried about speed cameras as you would be not exceeding the speed limits for the vehicle you are driving.

Meanwhile, back in the real world. :imp: :smiling_imp:

Hi Giles are you new to lorry driving ? :imp:

I have been driving for twenty years. Two years after passing my test i got caught by a copper on a motorcycle doing fifty in a forty he sent it to court I got four points and £185 fine the boss when I told him said I should have been going quicker. Left that job two weeks later and have never exceeded the speed limit since.

Coffeeholic:

redbob:

I use the A41 quite a lot and usually see one a bit south of the Raven Cafe, they were there yesterday. Often after stopping in the Raven for breakfast I then see the same van again because he has moved up the road in that time. I like to flip the finger at them them when they fail to get me for the second time in the space of about an hour. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

GILES:

Vosa are usually in the park by the Midway and the Raven,killing the trade for both cafe’s.

The irish boys don’t hang around on this stretch either,many atime they have tried to overtake me on the single carrageway when ive been stuck to 40mph ish.

We get warnings for breaking the limit :unamused:

You also get VOSA on the Midway/Raven aswell :imp:

By the Raven was always a spot for the police & up by Prees higher heath through the bends into Sandford (bad bends there, & the traffic lights for the cows crossing), around Prees there’s a gypsie site so they always used to ‘nick’ them for summat . Used to stop a the Raven cafe on the road for Beeston Castle, though haven’t for a long while now ,( maybe I’ll call there next time i’m en route:wink:) :smiley:

Dave the Renegade:

Coffeeholic:

redbob:

GILES:

Vosa are usually in the park by the Midway and the Raven,killing the trade for both cafe’s.

Indeed they are. I am always happy seeing them there as I approach the roundabout, it means I will get served quicker and have my choice of tables. Hopefully they will be there about 09:00-09:30 tomorrow morning as I will be popping in for breakfast.

Vosa always has been deffo bad news for the cafe trade there, pity 'cause it’s hard enough for them to make a living without having offical bods sat there lurking :angry:

bonnie lass:
Vosa always has been deffo bad news for the cafe trade there, pity 'cause it’s hard enough for them to make a living without having offical bods sat there lurking :angry:

Even if you are running bent I think you could easily pull into the Raven parking area. VOSA are likely to think no one running bent would be daft enough to pull in when they are there. In all the times I have stopped when they have been there they have never once approached me, or any of the other lads I have stopped with, and they haven’t all been from our firm or even UK drivers.

cons77:
The irish boys don’t hang around on this stretch either,many atime they have tried to overtake me on the single carrageway when ive been stuck to 40mph ish.

To right - we have boats to catch - and they don’t wait for us to take a 45 . :wink:
NO I’M NOT MAKING EXCUSES SPEEDING IS BAD AND SHOULD BE PUNISHED - IT IS DONE BY BAD MEN IN V8 SCANIAS -( thats a joke to).
The A41 has / was always a “shortcut / quiet” road from B’ham to Hollyhead that kept you away from Stafford and Lymm . Suposse that VOSA etc have caught on and are now stepping up their presence on the road .

Coffeeholic:

bonnie lass:

Even if you are running bent I think you could easily pull into the Raven parking area. VOSA are likely to think no one running bent would be daft enough to pull in when they are there. In all the times I have stopped when they have been there they have never once approached me, or any of the other lads I have stopped with, and they haven’t all been from our firm or even UK drivers.

They’ve never approached me either :smiley: …(.but they just kinda spoil the veiw :unamused: lol) & put some potential customers off :wink: :neutral_face:

parked at Midway last night (out of hours half hour from home :unamused: ) left there at 330 this morning and VOSA had a Scania pulled in there as I left, like has been said the A41 is a shortcut to N.Wales / Wirral and is used by lots of vehicles heading for the ferries, VOSA know this and are there intentionally.

bonnie lass:

Cant the people who own the cafes move them on if they own the land? :angry:

Its a council owned parking area. 30p an hour pay and display.

GILES:

yeah okay :unamused:

redbob:

bonnie lass:

Cant the people who own the cafes move them on if they own the land? :angry:

Dunno, vosa been waiting there for years, although so has the cops- used to be waiting for the after hours drinkers from the Raven & local pub in Tilstock & the travellers that used to stop across the road on Prees heath. Perhaps the council own the land like has been surgested, although I cant recall ever paying !!! ( I know it was a while since I was there last) .

Be careful when coming from the M54 up the A41 approaching Newport. As you come through the bendy bit through Bloomsbury having run at 32mph behind Mr and Mrs Nowhere To Go And All Day To Get There in their midgets hearse, trilby and blanket on rear parcel shelf, you know that you have a chance to overtake just after you crest the the top of the slight incline and drop down the bank towards Newport. Oh no you don’t as the camera vans have started to park half way along the downward sloping straight. They also park on the same stretch of road but in the opposite direction at the end of the long straight, sometimes hidden (sorry, slightly obscured) between two road signs.

Talking of VOSA, travelling up the A41 between Newport and Market Drayton at 0630hrs on a Sunday morning through the Chetwynd forest, who should be waiting to catch unwary drivers coming off the early morning ferry but VOSA. Coming the other way were a long line of lorries, the majority loooking like they had come over on the boat but being led at 40mph by a member of the Market Drayton based Culina fleet with one headlight out. Would have loved to have seen the panic - ‘what do we do - stop the local lorry with defective headlight or all those nasty speeding lorries off the boat’ :laughing: :laughing: