A40 Witney closure

Might be worth avoiding the A40 and surrounding areas of Witney for the rest of the day, there’s been a 20 car pile up and 1 person killed in foggy conditions. Apparently there was multiple incidents spread over a kilometre of that stretch of road.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox … e-38449991

When did the fog hit? I drove from Stoke to London via the M40, getting back about 10:45pm, and it was freezing but the fog, where there was any, wasn’t heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was mist where I live at 4am and then when I drove back by there at 11am the fog had really come down, that’s in north Hampshire

I live in Witney (closed section about a mile away) and the fog started coming down after 7am in patches (I de iced the wifes’ car which was well frozen). I walked to a local shop with my kids about 2 hours ago and where the fog was the paths were treacherous, covered in black ice. Our estate is on a main bus route, and as such is a priority for gritters. The gritters weren’t around here today or last night.

Very strange weather here, when I posted previous post the fog was just about gone. It’s coming back down again, but quite thick so this must’ve caught people out.

IndigoJo:
When did the fog hit? I drove from Stoke to London via the M40, getting back about 10:45pm, and it was freezing but the fog, where there was any, wasn’t heavy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Different road…

Was supposed to be taking the wife to Bicester Village today from Gloucester.
Thank goodness we decided to wait until next week.

My sis in law and her kids were supposed to be going back to Aylesbury from Gloucester today as well, they decided to go last night instead…

Wouldn’t have fancied being stuck in that mess.

Were all these cars going to , or coming back from Jeremy Clarkson`s knees up at Chipping Norton ?

One lane open now, according to my wife who’s just got home.

why do people blame the fog, was it not the moving vehicles that collided,
surely the fog was just hanging around like hoodies on a street corner.

Big accidents like this and the M40 pile up last year always occur at weekends or public holidays around here. I put it down to hobby drivers, preoccupied with finding a bargain at a retail park or bimbling along at monospeed towards a garden centre.

If you look at the level of damage to the vehicles they were going fast. PRobably at the speed limit. People who were there said that due to the fog you couldn’t see any cars in front until you were on top of them.

I don’t understand why time and time again people go ploughing down a road and hoping for the best. How many people have to lose lives and suffer life changing injuries before people realise that if you can’t stop in the distance you can see then your dicing with death. Literally.

That stretch is notorious for it.
I almost got wiped out by a coach overtaking me at 60 mph during what is the worst snow blizzard I have ever encountered.

Visibility was horrendous, the road was covered in snow and slush. I was in a 4x4 with winter tyres but keeping a safe distance from the car in front, who I could barely see…

As he passed, he threw all the slush and snow from the road onto my windscreen reducing my view even further. Had anyone been broken down in the outside lane, there would have been multiple fatalities.

some slow down to 40 for safety, some carry on regardless at 80, and others upload images of the poor visibility to their facebook page.

This popped up on youtube:

youtu.be/OCJ26NwuX1k

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

leo.saphira:
This popped up on youtube:

youtu.be/OCJ26NwuX1k

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Got to be a case of dangerous driving.

Not the A40, but at the same time this was happening I wasn’t too far away travelling North past Oxford on the 34 and was staggered by the amount of cars in similar conditions passing me way in excess of 70mph on sidelights, no lights or just front DRL’s! I reckon it’s cos they’re cocooned in their bubble thinking that “it’ll never happen to me as I’m a good driver”. It’s all fine until they come across the stationary vehicle slewed sideways across the road.

The last few days I have seen way to many cars with fogs on when no fog about and then those other people driving with just front daylight running lights and no rear lights - I blame the car manufacturers for that as the numpties assume as the clocks are lit up they must have their lights on.

the maoster:
Not the A40, but at the same time this was happening I wasn’t too far away travelling North past Oxford on the 34 and was staggered by the amount of cars in similar conditions passing me way in excess of 70mph on sidelights, no lights or just front DRL’s! I reckon it’s cos they’re cocooned in their bubble thinking that “it’ll never happen to me as I’m a good driver”. It’s all fine until they come across the stationary vehicle slewed sideways across the road.

Finally someone who actually sees what I see on the 34… My route for the past month has been Northampton to Newbury and back… the A34 is an absolute joke of a road and the people driving on it for that matter something ought to be done. Also read something along the lines of there is 3 fatalities a month on there or something…