A39 RTA

Bus carrying workers to Hinkley point goes over between Bridgwater and Cannington A39.
bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-64301329

It was surprising just how quickly the temperature dropped late yesterday afternoon, from a relatively mild day to suddenly seeing our cars freezing rapidly over, even the bucket of clean water just outside the door for the dogs was freezing over by 5pm.

Not a great deal you can do on black ice, which is probably what accounted for so many accidents (mentioned in the article) and may well be a contributory factor in this incident, even in the rare cases where winter rated tyres are fitted they can only help so much if the road is a sheet of ice.

Heard on radio a motorcycle was involved somehow.
But why on earth was he doing out in that weather.
Even I would get on by bike in frost or snow.
Wet n cold doesn’t bother me. But not in icy conditions

Better take care tonight.
Temperature down to -6 which is enough to re-freeze over salted roads…

Nothing skids like Salt Scree embedded in black Ice!

edd1974:

Started riding mopeds at 16 (Netherlands), proper bikes at 18, HGV at 22. Reluctantly bought my first car at 36, as the then Mrs Donkey would not countenance the idea of a sidecar for the new baby…

edd1974:

Could have been a scooter, ridden by somebody with neither experience, common sense nor more importantly no other means of getting to work.

And if the rider was on his way home from a night shift, again may have had no alternative in his mind…we may never know.

In my younger and dafter days I eschewed a car for many years in favour of an old Honda 175 which I kept on the road by the simple process of having a small breeding colony of them and swapping number plates and the like when they either broke down or more commonly ran out of MOT. Gave it up one wet and cold winter’s day when on the way to East Midlands Airport whilst they were building the A50 bypass, a large van stopped dead in front of me and I slid into the back of it. Thankfully only bruised but common sense has prevailed ever since; I still ride bikes but not in winter for work.