A38(M)

It appears that the A38(M) mystery, recently highlighted in Commercial Motor is coming to a close.

The A38(M) is signposted at 50mph, not 60mph as the driver who first sought advice on this matter stated.

However, Commercial Motor have contacted the Highways Agency who have confirmed that the road is a motorway, and that standard motorway rules apply. This includes the rules relevant to speed limits.

I have contacted West Midlands Police to ask why a driver who was driving at 47mph- 3mph less than the speed limit- is being prosecuted for speeding.

I will let you know what their reply is, if there is one.

Vince

nice one vince

Common sense prevails… at last.

How did the police and whoever the writer in commercial motor was get this one so completely wrong?

Qhunter:
ow did the police and whoever the writer in commercial motor was get this one so completely wrong?

can only be “top muppetry” :slight_smile:

From the original question in CM, it appears that many HGV drivers have been fined and endorsed for driving at a speed which was within the speed limit, simply because the local police do not understand the law correctly.

Worse still, this practice seems to be continuing. I have had no reply to my question from West Midlands Police.

This is obviously a “wrong” which needs to be righted.

Any ideas? None of the truck magazines seem to be interested in taking the story up.

Vince

On the same subject, what is the speed limit on the M621 (i think) around leeds its signed as 50 ?

also the M11 at the bottem end onto the A406 its also signed 50,but is still within the motorway regulations

oddsodz:
On the same subject, what is the speed limit on the M621 (i think) around leeds its signed as 50 ?

also the M11 at the bottem end onto the A406 its also signed 50,but is still within the motorway regulations

Oddz, the motorway speed limit is 70mph UNLESS signed otherwise,so it is safest to adhere to the posted limit.
An example of this is the western side of the M25,where there is a variable speed limit in force, so you can have a maximum speed limit of 40mph on a motorway.
:slight_smile:
Dan.

Oky doky, just wonderd that M11 has a bloody speed camara on it

oddsodz:
Oky doky, just wonderd that M11 has a bloody speed camara on it

It’s easier to name roads that DON’T have a bloomin’ camera on it. I feel like saying “cheese” every time I pass one! :laughing:

Dan.

I’ve seen 30 limits on motorways before now. Some years ago it was, on the M4 in south wales, and I went through it at censored because I was just a car driving muppet back then.

i got pullrd ther for doing 60 on me bike,whhen i was a courier,got let off with a warning,lovely chap…

i got pullrd ther for doing 60 on me bike,whhen i was a courier,got let off with a warning,lovely chap…

allikat:
I’ve seen 30 limits on motorways before now. Some years ago it was, on the M4 in south wales, and I went through it at censored because I was just a car driving muppet back then.

sounds like the old Port Talbot stretch which is now a 50mph if i remember correctly lol used to be from that way well keep going down the m4 onto the a48and a484 keep going till you get wet and turn back 10 miles lol

M4 from chiswick to just before heston services is a 40 as it is coming oppisite direction 70 - 60 - 40 ( or in most cases DEAD STOP)