A34...???

having got used to running Up, and Down the M1 and M6, I’ve got a run to Basingstoke in the morning… Not been on the A34 for about 20 years :slight_smile: - is it any good these days (used to be a nightmare when i was travelling to Blandford during my army days)

uckna:
having got used to running Up, and Down the M1 and M6, I’ve got a run to Basingstoke in the morning… Not been on the A34 for about 20 years :slight_smile: - is it any good these days (used to be a nightmare when i was travelling to Blandford during my army days)

The A34 is certainly better now they have the Newbury bypass!!!
I presume you’re going to use the A34 then A339 into Basingstoke?

Depends on the time of day, the worst bit is from M40 down to Didcot in rush hour… :imp: :imp:
Get out of bed a little earlier if you can and save the stress m8 :laughing:

6am start from Fradley park - was planning M40 - A34 - A339 (then a nip over to Gloucester)

no choice of start time :frowning:

Well I fear it is in the lap of the gods then! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

You should breeze thru…

The traffic gods were indeed on my side - that was a nice run today - not been down that neck of the woods in yonks…

Breezed down the M40 - nice steady run down the A34 (beat rush hour at Didcot) - Basingstoke by 8.45, then piddled about getting the right entry into Sainsbury’s - had to laugh when they sent me from gate 1 to gate 2, which then sent you past gate 1 to the unloading point… :slight_smile:

and the run up to Gloucester was just as easy - in fact never hit any traffic till back up near Birmingham

I have of course now cursed myself for tomorrow when i make the same run :frowning:

The A34 is fine until there is an accident/breakdown, then the whole world can come crumbling down and you will just sit… for hours.

Recovering/emergency services can also have a nightmare getting to the scene in some places, thus drawing everything out further.

The situation isn’t helped by the muppets who use that road, the other day I was following a short way behind a laden horsebox with two large specimens inside being towed by… a honda civic. Slowing to 35mph almost the instant it hit a hill large trucks were having to slam on to avoid it.

I actually followed them off as they took the same exit I needed, they pulled up shortly afterwards, I was tempted to go and have a word, but would have just needlessly ripped them a new one, and couldn’t be bothered with the aggro just for them to probably tell you where to shove your friendly advice.

Could be a lovely road if darwins’ people weren’t allowed to use it.