A34 Bedlam

I got held up on the A34 at Whitchurch today for a good 3/4 hr in a 3 mile tailback for roadworks. Saw on the local news tonight it could be like this for 6 months! Be warned.

shogun:
I got held up on the A34 at Whitchurch today for a good 3/4 hr in a 3 mile tailback for roadworks. Saw on the local news tonight it could be like this for 6 months! Be warned.

Aye, got held up in it numerous occasions this week. What I can’t figure out is, the sign says “repairing worn out surface” or something similar but why have they coned off the outside lane on both sides when it’s the inside lane which is [zb] :question: . They’re repairing the wrong bit. Craziness.

I was stuck in it for ages today in it, I was delivering in Overton as well. So near but so far when you’re stuck in a jam.

Never use the A34 between the M40 and M4 anymore, always been a horrendous stretch of road. I usually get onto the M5 South and go via Birdlip, A419 and M4. Slightly longer in distance but takes about the same amount of time, its also less hassle !

brummie:
Never use the A34 between the M40 and M4 anymore, always been a horrendous stretch of road. I usually get onto the M5 South and go via Birdlip, A419 and M4. Slightly longer in distance but takes about the same amount of time, its also less hassle !

:open_mouth: Fuelorama bill for the gaffer or what. :open_mouth: I can just imagine what my gaffer would say if I told him I was going via M42/M5/Birdlip/Swindon from top end of M1 to Southampton. Oh yeah… :astonished:

Did the A34 yesterday (Birmingham to Southampton Docks). Made good progress (Rob, 50+ on the A34, slap my wrists and take away the halo!). Didn’t even get held up at Chieveley! Hit those road works and had to make a call to the docks for someone to hang on for me!

Bad to worse — I had to go Southampton to Eastbourne. Choice of M3, M25, A22 or along the A27. Opted for the A27 (logical ish route), and regretted it!

If I go Malvern to Southampton, I sometimes use Birdlip — plenty of time to admire the scenery in my truck!

The A34 from M40 to M4 has never been bad in my opinion, infact the A34 in general is pretty good all the way down to so’ton.
Those road works are going to cause some serious problems, yesterday running back down, i got to didcot and stopped at 17.45 for a 45 break, got there with no real problems other than a bit of queing coming off the 40, so by the time id had my break and was on my way, (18.30) most of the traffic had gone, so its gunna be a case of hitting it at the right time, or coming off and going across the A420 to swindon then down through marlborough.

Gurner - I hit the road works at about 14:00 - so anytime after 07:00 or pre 19:00 could catch you out.

All you regular Southampton lads - where do you park up if you have to overnight? I’ve used Rownham, but don’t like the lack of showers!

spaceman:
Gurner - I hit the road works at about 14:00 - so anytime after 07:00 or pre 19:00 could catch you out.

All you regular Southampton lads - where do you park up if you have to overnight? I’ve used Rownham, but don’t like the lack of showers!

Agreed. I park on Nursling Ind Est but be quick, spaces go fast round there. If that’s full I park up on the road near Coolchain through gate 10.

Yep im the same as rob, if im in so’ton overnight then im usually parked up on the nursling trading estate :wink: