A30 Yeovil to Crewkerne

Why does it have a sign saying no hgv’s and tell you to go the long way round ? Is it really that bad or is it just a “nimby” thing as there isn’t actually any weight restrictions that I know of ?

Could I have taken my 4m high articulated fridge along that road ?

Yep lol :smiley:

Yep, taken a 4.6m down there.
Bit snug in places but no real drama.

The A30 is the most obvious route for HGVs, and the only possible explanation that it’s been restricted (7.5 tons I think through the village of West Coker) is because of the old boys network. They have also put in traffic lights and calming measures to make the traffic run in single file at some places, and also imposed a 20mph limit. The long way round (A3088 > A303 > A356) is the HGV route but the A356 has many 90-degree corners and in most cases there is not enough room for two trucks to pass without one of them stopping.

Cosmic:
The A30 is the most obvious route for HGVs, and the only possible explanation that it’s been restricted (7.5 tons I think through the village of West Coker) is because of the old boys network. They have also put in traffic lights and calming measures to make the traffic run in single file at some places, and also imposed a 20mph limit. The long way round (A3088 > A303 > A356) is the HGV route but the A356 has many 90-degree corners and in most cases there is not enough room for two trucks to pass without one of them stopping.

Didn’t realise there was a 7.5 t limit along the road. :confused:

Nor me. Like you say, there’s a blue sign saying No HGV’s, but nothing red and mandatory. Been down there plenty of times

I live in Crewkerne. As far as I know, there is no 7.5 limit between
us and Yeovil

If you are that worried, then take the 3088 to the 303, then down to the 368 , then onto the 30 to Crewkerne

Doh! Sorry I must have imagined the weight limit. I will continue to use that route then!

I’ve noticed some black signs around Oxford and Reading telling truck drivers to take round-about routes to get to certain places. For Swindon and Reading it’s A34 and M4 rather than the A420 or old A423 (definitely no weight limit on the latter although there’s a narrow and steep bit into Caversham), and for Evesham they direct you out along the A40 rather than straight up the A44. Are any of these because of weight limits or just recommended routes?

IndigoJo:
I’ve noticed some black signs around Oxford and Reading telling truck drivers to take round-about routes to get to certain places. For Swindon and Reading it’s A34 and M4 rather than the A420 or old A423 (definitely no weight limit on the latter although there’s a narrow and steep bit into Caversham), and for Evesham they direct you out along the A40 rather than straight up the A44. Are any of these because of weight limits or just recommended routes?

The black signs are merely advisory, if it’s because of a restriction (height, width, weight) on the route, this should be signed also at the point the advisory route is signed, of course, it may not be, and turning round to find an alternate may be awkward when such a restriction is later found, ignore the advice at your own risk, & bear in mind if enough drivers ignore such advice, it’s likely to result in actual restrictions being put in as a result of resident’s complaints.

Came out of crewkerne that way last week didn’t see any weight limit but you would not want to meet to much around that village

Am pretty sure is a 7.5 ton sign on last ■■■■■ coming out of yeovil ( top of hill above westlands ) but never seen 1 coming out of crewkerne .

chester1:
Came out of crewkerne that way last week didn’t see any weight limit but you would not want to meet to much around that village

That’s why it is recommended not to use the A30 to/from Crewkerne. The important word here is “recommended”. There is no weigh limit on that stretch of road. Even on the recommended route there are a couple of fairly tight spots on the A356 so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Bacon Sandwich:

chester1:

That’s why it is recommended not to use the A30 to/from Crewkerne. The important word here is “recommended”. There is no weigh limit on that stretch of road. Even on the recommended route there are a couple of fairly tight spots on the A356 so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Was delivering to misterton on the 3066 Although did go in via crewkerne road looked better on map coming out that way

On a different note done the A352 Dorchester to Sherborne the other day tight in lots of places but in 17 miles passed 1 artic and 2 tippers but passed some beautiful country villages and pubs.