A170 thirsk to scarboro

Anyone know if you can get over the A170 coming from Gatenby to Scarboro with an artic. It looks like there maybe a bad bend at sutton bank

Has anyone been that way recentley

You can go up Sutton Bank in an artic, been over loads of times myself .

But

It is very steep, narrow in loads of places and some bends that you need to take most of the road.

Not sure I would like to go up fully loaded but it is fun :exclamation:

Best to avoid in bad weather.

Would be coming down it Chunky

Test you brakes!!!

thecoder0:
Anyone know if you can get over the A170 coming from Gatenby to Scarboro with an artic.

If you are going from Thirsk towards Scarborough you go up.

It’s a piece of road that has signs telling caravanners not to use it (shouldn’t all roads have that sign?)
I know a lot of car drivers who avoid it too.
I would certainly avoid it myself if I thought I had a high chance of meeting an artic going the other way!

If you want to get to Scarborough then Bridlington is a much better place to start than Thirsk is!

Fred I am going to be travelling from gatenby nr leaming bar i thought possibly backdown a1 to a59 then pick up a64 .

thecoder0:
Fred I am going to be travelling from gatenby nr leaming bar i thought possibly backdown a1 to a59 then pick up a64 .

That would be my choice in a wagon (or on a pedal cycle :smiley: ) but since I don’t plan on making the journey using either mode of transport …

Seriously, apart from the severe chew of the York Ring Road the A59/A64 would mean you avoid Sutton Bank. The only advantage of taking the hilly route would be the view from the top :slight_smile: Which on a clear day can be spectacular.

I have been up sutton bank in a 4x4 with a 3.5t trailer on the back, and it was hard work, but managed it in 1st gear at about 10mph. would have kept the speed up a bit higher if the ■■■■■ infornt of me hadn’t braked just as we got the the start of the climb :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
As has been said, the views are quite good on a clear day. But the signs do tell you not to bother in long, or heavy vehicles, as people have a habit of getting stuck half way up apparently.

I dont know how we manage going over mountains in trucks.When some of you frightened of Sutton Bank.

Call youself drivers? :wink:

Robbies Dad:
I dont know how we manage going over mountains in trucks.When some of you frightened of Sutton Bank.

Call youself drivers? :wink:

I agree. I’ve been up and down there countless times in my artic tipper fully loaded and never had any problems except one time when it was icy on the hairpin at the bottom and I nearly lost it. You just plan ahead, let the traffic clear in front of you and then just go nice and steady all the way up or down.

Heaven only knows what colour your underwear would be if you saw some of the hills and regular places I go to round Timble and Fewston reservoir in North Yorks. You’d never get anything done. :unamused:

Some years ago,I did a road rally in that area,and after we had visited the well known ford at Caydale Mill,just off the top of Sutton Bank,our next competitive bit,was just outside Thirsk,terminating at the pub on the A19 at Jeater Houses.

Yes,you guessed it,we had to come down Sutton Bank at about 5 in the morning,and someone,mentioning no names,had worn the front brakes out on his car,PRIOR to coming down the hill.

Still,I got 2nd in class on my first ever road rally.

Ken.

I’ve been up and down it countless times in rigids, and the Mrs has been up it quite happily in an artic. Personally I would think twice about it if I was very heavy and it was wet but otherwise just take it steady and get in a low gear early on and just sit there nice and steady until you get to the top.

Paul

I agree with Repton been up and down loads of times in an artic - just take your time and make space and you will get up ok.

Snooze Control you must be based near me as I work just of the 59 and used to pull out of Blubberhouses and Cold Stones for a bloke - its a good drop down into Otley!! :laughing:

Make sure you’ve scrubbed off your speed before you start descending. There’s a very sharp right hand hairpin at the end of the steepest part and trying to slow down from 30 to the crawling speed you need to be doing to get round it is a heart stopper if you’ve got any weight on at all and there’s no run off area there.

It takes about the same time which ever way you go (except at rush hours) and there’s only about 25km difference. I’d opt for the York ring road route. Much easier all round. :wink:

I normally go that way 2 maybe 3 times a month from Thirsk towards Scarboro empty in an artic, only got a 460 Actros and usually manage 30mph up the hill, met a bloke in a 430 xf the other week backing down cos he didnt have the power to get up it, he did have all 6 axles on the floor thou.

I wasnt on Sutton Bank but was on a hill as steep today loaded (grossing 43560 on the weighbridge) roads damp and ive had a run up from a 30 zone to a forty but knowing the road and steepness of the hill its foot down before the 30 ends wont be setting records anyway. Anyhow onto the steepest part of the hill in a Scania R470 down to 5th and keeping rolling nicely but wheels trying to spin even at that weight!
Empty or light it flys up nearly in top!

well dave there’s all you replys…

now tell us how you got on with… go on get yourself up it.

Ive been up lots of bigger hills with 200 horse power and down t’other side