A17 - Which Truck Stop?

Night out tomorrow night. First one ever! Will be heading up the A17 from Boston towards Norfolk. Several truck stops along this road. Anyone recommend the best one to stop at? Decent food, shower and a beer are all pre - requisites! So, where would you stop and what’s the cost?

You don’t want much do ya? :open_mouth:

If you’re certain about this …

RobRob:
Decent food, shower and a beer are all pre - requisites!

… then the following …

RobRob:
Anyone recommend the best one to stop at?

… is the unanswerable question!

RobRob:
Night out tomorrow night. First one ever!

Don’t worry, you’ll soon learn what to expect of a night out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Gogan:
If you’re certain about this …

RobRob:
Decent food, shower and a beer are all pre - requisites!

… then the following …

RobRob:
Anyone recommend the best one to stop at?

… is the unanswerable question!

RobRob:
Night out tomorrow night. First one ever!

Don’t worry, you’ll soon learn what to expect of a night out. :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, I shall rephrase the question :laughing:
Which tuck stop on the A17 is the better of the three or so, that I have seen?

The Anglia Truckstop(The Bros) opposite the Farm Truckstop :smiley:

I usually stop at Anglia truckstop, good food and choice. Truck park can be wet and muddy at the rear where you ‘should’ park.
Toilets and showers are OK ish £7.50

Farm shop one (opposite) I was not impressed with the breakfast when I stopped there but the veg in the farm shop is excellent. Price ?

The one on its own further down the road does a good breakfast but its not always very warm in the cafe area.

Probably doesn’t help much but anyone is better than using a layby in my opinion :slight_smile:

the best one for over nighting is the The anglia one but they are all crap for food, infact they are more welcoming to coaches that truck drivers these days!

Is the “Anglia” the one that the old-timers knew as “Harold’s”?

i think you will be heading down to Norfolk, not up! The Anglia is the one with the aeroplane out the front! there is anotherone a few miles north of those 2, dont know what its like thou. I would go to the one with the most trucks in the parking area.

i know a few are a fan of the " lodge " on the A14 iirc on the way to sutton bridge.

kindle530:
i think you will be heading down to Norfolk, not up! The Anglia is the one with the aeroplane out the front! there is anotherone a few miles north of those 2, dont know what its like thou. I would go to the one with the most trucks in the parking area.

If you are thinking of the Necton Diner then it is closed

There is another one at the end of the Dereham bypass as you come from Norwich (can’t think of the name) it’s £12.50 inc meal

Best one is the Anglia motel £7.50

Farm cafe is £10

and the one after that (same side as farm cafe, cant think of name) was free to park if you purchased food there

vwgpmk2:

It wasn’t great anyway… which is probably why it’s closed. You can still park up there though. Muddy, noisy and moonscape size holes too!

vwgpmk2:
There is another one at the end of the Dereham bypass as you come from Norwich (can’t think of the name) it’s £12.50 inc meal

You mean at the end of the Swaffham bypass. It’s on the "wrong side of the road if you’re heading to Norwich, and getting back isn’t as easy as simply just heading off into Swaffham. It also closes early and trucks are rarely seen there.

vwgpmk2:

You can get reasonable food there - don’t expect cordon bleu cooking though. There’s a bar just beyond the “restaurant” and the showers are pretty ancient (and cold if I remember rightly.) You’re supposed to park in the field at the back, but it gets quite busy, so I hope you’re stopping early.

I also think the kitchen closes around 21:00

If you’re not fussed about a shower, a bit further down the road is a BP station on the left, where you might get parked again, if you’re early. There’s only about five spots to park an artic, and it gets busy during the night.) There’s a McDonalds across the road which stays open late, and open again for brekkie about 05:00 I think.

Then of course you could continue down to Sutton Bridge. If you go over the bridge there’s are big laybys on both left and right of the main A17. If you get a spot there you can walk back over the bridge and enjoy the delights of Sutton Bridge. There are various pubs, bars, and several take aways… about 50 yards north of the bridge.

EastAnglianTrucker:

vwgpmk2:

It wasn’t great anyway… which is probably why it’s closed. You can still park up there though. Muddy, noisy and moonscape size holes too!

vwgpmk2:

You mean at the end of the Swaffham bypass. It’s on the "wrong side of the road if you’re heading to Norwich, and getting back isn’t as easy as simply just heading off into Swaffham. It also closes early and trucks are rarely seen there.

vwgpmk2:

You can get reasonable food there - don’t expect cordon bleu cooking though. There’s a bar just beyond the “restaurant” and the showers are pretty ancient (and cold if I remember rightly.) You’re supposed to park in the field at the back, but it gets quite busy, so I hope you’re stopping early.

I also think the kitchen closes around 21:00

If you’re not fussed about a shower, a bit further down the road is a BP station on the left, where you might get parked again, if you’re early. There’s only about five spots to park an artic, and it gets busy during the night.) There’s a McDonalds across the road which stays open late, and open again for brekkie about 05:00 I think.

Then of course you could continue down to Sutton Bridge. If you go over the bridge there’s are big laybys on both left and right of the main A17. If you get a spot there you can walk back over the bridge and enjoy the delights of Sutton Bridge. There are various pubs, bars, and several take aways… about 50 yards north of the bridge.

Turns out I’m at home tonight. Bad planning :unamused:
However, the info on Sutton Bridge is most interesting! I did wonder if it was worth stopping and checking out!
Thanks mate! :slight_smile:

Boston to Norfolk and neading a possable night out jeez how slows your truck fella!

Imp:
Boston to Norfolk and neading a possable night out jeez how slows your truck fella!

It’s geriatric! That aside, I do tipper work and it’s sugar beet season. You can do 2 loads to Wissington without a night out or 3 with. The firm likes their pound of flesh which suits me fine so long as they pay up on time :slight_smile:

RobRob:

Imp:

It’s geriatric! That aside, I do tipper work and it’s sugar beet season. You can do 2 loads to Wissington without a night out or 3 with. The firm likes their pound of flesh which suits me fine so long as they pay up on time :slight_smile:

Argh beet say no more!

vwgpmk2:

kindle530:

Farm cafe is £10

and the one after that (same side as farm cafe, cant think of name) was free to park if you purchased food there

was thining of the one 10=ish mins away from the farm mate.

Try the lodge. 12 quid all in. Good food. Clean shower. Friendly staff

Lodge farm:
Try the lodge. 12 quid all in. Good food. Clean shower. Friendly staff

fancy that? someone called “thelodge” reccomending the lodge…