A14

A safety study is to begin on one eastern England’s major roads on Monday following the latest fatal accident.
The Highways Agency will carry out an audit on the A14 - which runs through Suffolk, Cambs and Northants - amid police concerns about safety.

The work will involve assessing traffic levels, driver behaviour and speed, as well as assessing the road layout.

Cambridgeshire Chief Constable Tom Lloyd called for action after Tuesday’s five-vehicle fatal accident at Girton.

Following a meeting with Highways Agency officials he said: "I was pleased by the sense of urgency that the Highways Agency share with me.

"We need to take action and it needs to be rapid.

“I am allowing more police patrols (on the A14) to encourage road users to drive more carefully and slowly, but the longer term solutions need to be tackled sooner rather than later.”

He added there would also be a public consultation exercise next month to get the views of road users, residents and anyone with an interest in this issue.

they could start by putting up a camera (video) at the Girton interchange with a 10’ high sign saying

"anybody filmed cutting in at the last minute (or within a section of road marked by paint or different coloured tarmac) will be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention.

If as a result of their actions there is a fatal crash then a prosecution for manslaughter will be brought"

I wonder if it would reduce the accident figures if the muppets had the worry of a prison term advertised to them on their approch to the junction

From my experience I doubt it would make a difference but it may make a prosecution easier.

I think I already know what the results of the safety study will be, loads of speed limits and cameras, because that’s the cheapest way of looking like something is done on safety.
What the roads really needs is loads of money spent on the interchanges slip roads and a hard shoulder. It also needs a ban on slow moving vehicles, at least at peak times.

there are plans to re-route the road from around ellington, sending it south of huntingdon to rejoin around fenstanton, and upgrade the rest down to girton
but of course it keep slipping in the “priority list” despite being one of the worst
bits of road in the whole UK?

i live very close to the A14 at huntingdon and my missus works in cambridge,
and i’m seriously telling her i’d rather she moved jobs (which she can do fairly easily) than use that bloody road 3 days per week - it really is that bad i.m.h.o

again this morning 1 lane closed e/b at goddy after yet another accident, and if there’s not another artic rolled over on spitals roundabout by end of september i’ll eat me hat! :unamused: