A14 Speed Cameras

Hi Folks

Could anyone furnish me with the location of the westbound speed camera in the roadworks near Bury St Edmunds.

Need to “make notes” as alas was 'flashed there yesterday in the 40 limit, and I was only doing 37 :frowning:

However, before you mention that I have a tacho to back me up, I don’t. I’m tacho exempt (crane etc etc) :frowning:

A variety of swear words spring to mind :frowning: I don’t know wtf I am going to do with it. I mean, is it possible to get a photo of me with whatever speed it was before I chose my path with the courts?!

Hmm. Was doing Colchester to the Midlands via the A14 and only heard about the accidents when I stopped for a break after that :frowning:

If you are 100% certain you were not breaking the law, ask to see all the evidence they have against you. (i.e. Photos, calibration certificates, type approval certificates etc) Cameras have been known to be wrong on many occasions.

That is of course assuming you receive a ‘Notice of Intended Prosecution’ (the police have 14 days to issue one I think, but longer if they write to your company first)

Forgot to say that Police may refuse to give photos etc as they will probably only want to give them if it goes to court.

Be persistent and say that you consider it a waste of the courts time and money when the matter could be resolved amicably. I know several people who were allegedly caught speeding and have successfully used the ‘nicely nicely’ approach.

This has been a bad 12 months with cameras. I’ve had a clean licence for 5 years and got two tickets last year and now this one is looming :frowning: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Thanks for that though…

the area in question is rougham … are you sure no-one was overtaking you when the camera flashed …

also i noticed yesterday morning an ambulance on the east bound carriageway doing at least 70 with blues on activated the westbound camera
:exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

if you were doing 37 then that should become apparent once the cops look at the film etc

Are you sure you were doing 37? do crnaes really go that fast or is just when they are in front of me they go slower :slight_smile::):):):):).

jammymutt:
Are you sure you were doing 37? do crnaes really go that fast or is just when they are in front of me they go slower :slight_smile::):):):):).

I know what you mean, but this is a little 'un so it can go quite fast.

From now on I just need to be going even slower than the posted limit and even slower than that when passing another camera, I would say sod the other traffic but I do try to be nice to them as well, and if there is more than 10 vehicles behind me I pull over for them to pass. :blush:

Best not to delay them. I should have asked for the P reg truck, that’s even slower than everything else :slight_smile:

I know what you mean about cranes though, they can get a bit slow… But then again, it could take a while to stop at speed…

This site gives all the imfomation you could possibly need on where cameras are & what type are etc.
Click on location database (top left)

speedcamerasuk.com/

Oh well, if I loose my licence over this and these speed cameras I’ll probably end up getting a transfer into the traffic office :frowning:

Apparently they’re a bit short staffed… :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

There are too many of these ■■■■■■ cameras around, its not fair :frowning: :confused: :confused:

Don’t worry just yet!

In my old job I used to have loads of drivers come to me worried that they might have been caught speeding when they thought they were not. 9 times out of 10 nothing ever happened.

I once went to one of the centres where the photos of “victims” were looked at when we disputed a red light offence. To give the police their due they did seem willing to admit that trucks and some other vechicles often give false readings. The science of it went right over my head but I remember sonar and submarines being mentioned! :confused: :unamused:

I have been flashed many times and never heard anything. The one at the bottom of Holloway Road near Highbury Corner in London “got” me 3 times in one week and on every occasion I was doing less than 20mph. Never heard a thing about those.

Keep your fingers crossed.

smeserver:
There are too many of these ■■■■■■ cameras around, its not fair :frowning: :confused: :confused:

Agreed.

They are supposed to be used in areas where there is a record of accidents and fatalities, but this is seldom the case.

I saw a mobile camera van today on a road which does not have a record of any accidents.

This is the first time I have seen a camera van on this stretch of road so South Yorkshire Police have obviously identified a bit of road to catch some very minor infringements of the speed limit.

For anybody travelling near Rotherham, the van was on the A630 at Thrybergh (Just so you all know!)

Just out of curiositiy but when i see cranes in laybys in the middle of nowhere sometimes where do the drivers sleep?, is there some secret compartment built in to the mast we dont know about?.

I was told most of them go in to b&b but how do they get there when the crane is in the middle of nowhere?.

killsville:
Forgot to say that Police may refuse to give photos etc as they will probably only want to give them if it goes to court.

I think you will find they cannot refuse to show you a copy.

Under the Data Protection Act 1988:-

Individuals have the right to view any images of themselves produced by a camera be it cctv footage or still pictures.

If they refuse make an application under this act (by law you cannot be charged more than £10 by anybody supplying this info)

Now the usual excuse for people trying to get out of this rule is

“they could not find your image” in their records

(brings back memories of The Mark Thomas Comedy Project outside MI6 :laughing: )

If they use this excuse they have no evidence for the speeding charge :laughing:

If not you get a copy of the pics & they have to actually do some work to send it to you :wink:

For Legal advice on speeding go to

killsville:

smeserver:

For anybody travelling near Rotherham, the van was on the A630 at Thrybergh (Just so you all know!)

the van was also parked on the uphill stretch of wortley rd next to the bowling ally as you head out of town to M1 J35 on weds, as I had to pull up behind it to overtake it whilst driving my mates truck for the week whilst Im on holiday from the day job, (I was working out of the wheely bin factory running up to 900 bins a go to storage a time), what I didnt realise was that the Tax disc for the truck was 2 days out of date :blush: :blush: and i couldnt have got any closer for the van to take my picture :blush: I doubt it will come back on me personnelly, as the firm dont have anyway of passing NIP`s to me :laughing: :laughing:

north surrey haulage:
[show you a copy.

Under the Data Protection Act 1988:-

Individuals have the right to view any images of themselves produced by a camera be it cctv footage or still pictures.

The DPA has a specific exemption for this.

Data Protection Act 1998, Section 29:
(1) Personal data processed for any of the following purposes-

(a) the prevention or detection of crime,

(b) the apprehension or prosecution of offenders, or

(c) the assessment or collection of any tax or duty or of any imposition of a similar nature,

are exempt from the first data protection principle (except to the extent to which it requires compliance with the conditions in Schedules 2 and 3) and section 7 in any case to the extent to which the application of those provisions to the data would be likely to prejudice any of the matters mentioned in this subsection.

Section 7 is the part of the DPA which requires them to disclose to you any personal information which they hold about you.

Other legislation requires them to disclose the pictures, but that might only be applicable if you go to court. You can’t use the DPA to get them.

peirre:

killsville:

smeserver:

the van was also parked on the uphill stretch of wortley rd next to the bowling ally as you head out of town to M1 J35 on weds, as I had to pull up behind it to overtake it whilst driving my mates truck for the week whilst Im on holiday from the day job, (I was working out of the wheely bin factory running up to 900 bins a go to storage a time), what I didnt realise was that the Tax disc for the truck was 2 days out of date :blush: :blush: and i couldnt have got any closer for the van to take my picture :blush: I doubt it will come back on me personnelly, as the firm dont have anyway of passing NIP`s to me :laughing: :laughing:

Now why should the van be parked outside the bowling alley? There is a fixed camera (forward facing Truvelo) not 200 yards away.

Thanks for the info though, peirre. I go bowling there twice a week but I’ve not seen a van there yet. I’d better take extra care!

I reckon this crane could be just the answer to these cameras :stuck_out_tongue:

You could swing the jib round and decapitate the kodaks, or you could sneak up behind a camera van and hoist it into the air till he surrenders :stuck_out_tongue:

smeserver:
There is a fixed camera (forward facing Truvelo) not 200 yards away.

but that camera is on the brow of the hill and can be seen before you get to it coming uphill, where as the van cant be seen till youve crested the hill and its too late

smeserver:
Thanks for the info though, peirre. I go bowling there twice a week but I’ve not seen a van there yet. I’d better take extra care!

a goos idea, coz as of Friday lunchtime they`d spun it around to face the traffic coming from the direction of the motorway

smeeserver, don’t worry too much, it’s just a fine and no points.
if the road has a lower speed restriction due to repairs then they cannot issue any penalty points unless it is a motorway under repair, all other roads is a fixed penalty, you might find it’s cheaper to plead guilty and pay the fine if it’s not too much or ask for the photo evidence and try to dispute it, if your found guilty after that the fine is bigger.