A14 Kettering collision yesterday (Thurs 16th Jan)

It was bound to happen sooner or later… Two trucks (Rigid and 7.5 from the quick look I got) pinched against each other through the narrow concrete section in place at the moment, westbound near Telford Way ind estate. It actually looked like the rigid was trying to overtake the 7.5 in the narrow outside lane but may be mistaken!

Whilst crossing over the A14 in that area in the past two weeks I’ve heard and seen TWO artic’s scraping against the barriers, despite the large signs saying that enforcement is in place for HGVs attempting to use lane 2…

Silly boys :confused:

Hardly surprising, the right-hand lane through those roadworks is tight enough in a car!! Yet another of the industry’s heroes.

And they wonder why theres so many cameras, pity there wasnt one at that spot. I have always thought that some road works are too narrow, for 2 HGVs to pass each other, and i tend to worry a bit when some of them come pass, especially the left hookers, for they dont leave enough room at the best of times, so i personally would like to see a no overtaking for hgvs in roadworks, what do you all think !

truckyboy:
And they wonder why theres so many cameras, pity there wasnt one at that spot. I have always thought that some road works are too narrow, for 2 HGVs to pass each other, and i tend to worry a bit when some of them come pass, especially the left hookers, for they dont leave enough room at the best of times, so i personally would like to see a no overtaking for hgvs in roadworks, what do you all think !

There does seem to be quite a few truck drivers out there who have absolutly no idea how wide there vehicle is, and are incapable of keep that vehicle between the white lines! i’ve seen them straddling lane 2 and 3 when there is no reason for them to be there when overtaking another truck, they are ■■■■ drivers end of!
i totally agree with trucks being banned from lane 2, they are a danger to other road users!

Personally, I think all road works that have narrow lanes should ban hgv overtaking. Recently driving down the m1 I have seen trucks being sucked into the verge due to hgv passing each other too close. Whether it’s two or ten miles long drivers need to be patient and if it drops to 40 mph then so be it, better arriving ten minutes late than going off road or having a collision.

That bit is just wide enough for a Luton van. hate that section end off. What are the plans down there?

HGV overtaking is banned by default on the A14 roadworks as there’s a 6ft 6in width restriction on lane 2. Then again the bit with the permanent 7.5t limit on lane 2 on the A14 also bans overtaking by default during the day but there are plenty of ‘drivers’ who ignore that, too.

Hopefully the drivers who have tbeen badly caught out in the narrow lanes will be sacked and a proper driver can take each of their places.

Talking of luton vans…lots of vandrivers think they are 6.6" too instead of 7,6". Those sprinter class including mirrors are more that IMO.

Was in London on Friday & I think the Cockneys have a sport where you have to see how close you can drive to another vehicle in a lane merge situation before backing down. Macho BS.

Silver_Surfer:
Was in London on Friday & I think the Cockneys have a sport where you have to see how close you can drive to another vehicle in a lane merge situation before backing down. Macho BS.

I love watching people merge on busy motorways where one lane is coned off. I was in this position on the M6 a whle ago, and I did what I always do, which is back off until there’s maybe four or five car lengths in front of my truck, and just keep moving at a crawl, so the gap stays constant and anyone who needs to get into my lane can. You still end up with people ignoring the large gap in front of my truck, trying to get past the vehicle in front of me while the cones narrow the lane down. It’s amazing how many people seem unable to plan further than the end of their bonnet, and how many seem to think giving way to someone is somehow a slight on their masculinity.