A14 fuel theft

I got away with it! I slept in a layby on the A14 the night you posted this thread, and woke up with my curtains intact and fuel where it should be! :laughing:

biggriffin:
We’ve been told, when parking up for the night try to have as little fuel in tanks, 1/4 or less if possible, and fill up in tut morning.

If you need fuel before parking only put 50L in.

This used to be my approach, and I still won’t fuel up before parking if I’m not in services, truck stop etc unless I need to. I got told by one of our lot that it’s tank damage (anti siphon necks) and knock on effects of failed, late deliveries etc that they are bothered about as well so tend to cover my back and park where they say.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

What difference does it make if you only have 50l in your tank when you park up? They’ll still cause exactly the same damage/inconvenience nicking 50l as they would nicking 500l. They won’t know there’s only 50l in there…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

One of our drivers had his tank emptied the other night for the fourth time this year! Now the management are starting to look at him with more than a bit of suspicion. I spoke to him the other day and believe that he’s innocent but just stupid (I could very well be wrong though) so I gave him some tips to reduce the future risk; unfortunately the tanks on the new Actros are nearside which is always going to be most popular for the fairies, so I’ve told him that if he must lay by it then try to bury the tank into a hedge or pile of nettles, also when parking on ind estates park with your tank under a street light or look for buildings with cctv and park next to them.

If they want it they’ll take it, so it’s all about making it more unattractive to the thieves. When I park somewhere I put my dashcam on the n/s passenger window pointing at the mirrors, I doubt that it would get any decent footage but the point is that the fairies would see the flashing red light and just may move on to an easier target.

It’s all about risk reduction.

lightning:
And for your info, Im a Special Constable with West Mercia, I just drive trucks for a living.

Much thanks for the post. It is nice to know things get done about it because it is easy to feel like nothing happens when you report it.