A1 West Yorkshire CLOSED 18 OCT 2012

A1 at Wentbridge closed both ways because of a serious accident involving two lorries.

Diversion in operation via the A639 following the hollow square signs. BUT HIGH SIDERS SHOULD USE A 6021 and A 628.

Last time A1 was closed like this, I went off A1 @ Ferrybridge … M62 … M18 … back onto A1 South of Doncaster … I will admit I had a “good” run ( never came off the limiter ) … I reckoned, it only put 15mins EXTRA on journey time :slight_smile:
I was surprised … always seems to take for-ever on that M18 from M62 to A1M.

Don’t bother with official diversions, if you’re coming south take M62 towards Hull, pick up M18 south, rejoin A1 further down. Reverse procedure if northbound. :smiley:

■■■■ that Rustler, beats me to everything! :smiley:

the maoster:
■■■■ that Rustler, beats me to everything! :smiley:

Nah … GREAT minds think alike :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

my m8 went up bout 5ish and saw at least 10 lorrys trying turn around before the bridge!! wonder how many warning height signs they passed :unamused:

Just got back from being caught up in it, a right PITA! Looked like the fowler welch lorry jack knifed or at least thats how it looked when I went past. Certainly made for an interesting driving lesson :open_mouth:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

The Rustler:
Last time A1 was closed like this, I went off A1 @ Ferrybridge … M62 … M18 … back onto A1 South of Doncaster … I will admit I had a “good” run ( never came off the limiter ) … I reckoned, it only put 15mins EXTRA on journey time :slight_smile:

how about M62, M18, M180 (J1) follow signs for Bawtry & the airport and rejoin the A1 at Blyth, it a little shorter timewise
however if your trailer is high beware there is a low bridge on this route near Austerfield, taking the road right at the roundabout before austerfield (near the Bawtry golf club entrance) past the end of the runway and turning left at the top will miss this bridge leaving to you to pick up the doncaster Bawtry road and onto blyth & a1

peirre:

The Rustler:

how about M62, M18, M180 (J1) follow signs for Bawtry & the airport and rejoin the A1 at Blyth, it a little shorter timewise
however if your trailer is high beware there is a low bridge on this route near Austerfield, taking the road right at the roundabout before austerfield (near the Bawtry golf club entrance) past the end of the runway and turning left at the top will miss this bridge leaving to you to pick up the doncaster Bawtry road and onto blyth & a1

WOW … wouldn’t have thought of going that way :confused: I’m surprised it’s shorter timewise, as it’s on A roads … not that I’m going to argue :wink: … I’ve looked on the map … can see the sense, as you’re heading South - as opposed to going back to A1 @ Doncaster … will have to try to remember to try that :wink: Cheers.

1300 18 OCT 2012:
Police have confirmed that the male lorry driver injured in the A1 collision between Barnsdale Bar and Wentbridge has sadly died.
A major recovery operation and incident investigation is ongoing on the A1 following two serious collisions in the early hours.
Police and emergency services were called to the A1 Southbound at Darrington at 0355 to a report that a lorry had jackknifed and collided with the central reservation, blocking lanes on the southbound and northbound carriageways.
At 0443 another call was received to say a second incident had taken place on the A1 Northbound between Barnsdale Bar and Wentbridge in which three lorries were in collision.
The male driver of one lorry received serious injuries in the incident.
Due to the nature of the two incidents, this closure is expected to be in place for most of the day and will cause significant disruption.
R.I.P.Driver.

This is a serious question. I get the physics of a ‘jacknife’ but, practically, how do the occur??

I’ve been driving HGV’s for 15 years and never even come close to one. Is there a particular factor that causes a truck to jacknife?

coreysboys:
This is a serious question. I get the physics of a ‘jacknife’ but, practically, how do the occur??

I’ve been driving HGV’s for 15 years and never even come close to one. Is there a particular factor that causes a truck to jacknife?

Harsh braking & swerving under load to avoid hitting a vehicle that cut you up

The Rustler:
WOW … wouldn’t have thought of going that way :confused: I’m surprised it’s shorter timewise, as it’s on A roads … not that I’m going to argue :wink: … I’ve looked on the map … can see the sense, as you’re heading South - as opposed to going back to A1 @ Doncaster … will have to try to remember to try that :wink: Cheers.

its more straight line, your litterally cutting the corner out that is the M18 / A1 junction. The container boys running out of Hull to DHL bawtry head that way too, but they turn right at the blue bell inn and head via the airport link road. You can get a fair lick on past lindholme prison and Finningley :wink: but there are obviously a couple of 30/40 limits thru` the villages.

coreysboys:
This is a serious question.
I get the physics of a ‘jacknife’ but, practically, how do they occur??

I’ve been driving HGV’s for 15 years and never even come close to one.
Is there a particular factor that causes a truck to jacknife?

DRIVERS HANDBOOK:
Jack-knifing can occur during emergency braking when the weight and
momentum of the trailer allows it to “overtake the unit.”

Jack-knifing may be corrected by halting the breaking but this may not
always be possible in a “close-quarters” situation.

Solution: Avoid “close-quarters” situations and observe braking distances.

Dieseldoforme:

coreysboys:
This is a serious question.
I get the physics of a ‘jacknife’ but, practically, how do they occur??

I’ve been driving HGV’s for 15 years and never even come close to one.
Is there a particular factor that causes a truck to jacknife?

DRIVERS HANDBOOK:
Jack-knifing can occur during emergency braking when the weight and
momentum of the trailer allows it to “overtake the unit.”

Jack-knifing may be corrected by halting the breaking but this may not
always be possible in a “close-quarters” situation.

Solution: Avoid “close-quarters” situations and observe braking distances.

OK. When carrying out a driver registration at an agency a few months ago I came across the question, which of these conditions is at more risk of jacknife? and the answer was unladen trailer going round a corner.

I always try to keep braking to when inline unless unavoidable, and when cornering make sure I brake to a very appropriate speed prior to turning the wheel. Seems to have worked so far.

Does not look good! yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at- … -1-5037865 RIP Driver

RIP Driver:

youtube.com/watch?v=ctO3FGSa … r_embedded

R.I.P driver another loss to the industry

Another death in the night,all these crashes with loss of life seem to be in the early hours

coreysboys wrote:

Two ways: Either the rear wheels of the unit lock up and skid sideways, causing the two parts to fold together like a penknife closing, often occurring when the unit goes off the carriageway; or the trailer wheels lock up as the unit slows, causing the trailer to swing sideways and round (more likely on ice). The end result is much the same and the first is the more common I think.

Dieseldoforme:
RIP Driver:

youtube.com/watch?v=ctO3FGSa … r_embedded

+1 RIP and condolences to family.

I am impressed with the comms from the Police. Its nice to get proper information for once. It would be further nice if there was a forum in which Police and Pro drivers could dialogue together strategically to make roads safer places for all.